It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:37

Text Size

Deck chooser screen

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Deck chooser screen

Postby Lodici » 04 Jul 2014, 11:12

I have started to look at improving the deck selection code. First, I have replaced the (deck) file open dialog in the deck editor with a new screen which will eventually be the goto screen for choosing or generating a deck.
screenshot.png

It is not obvious from the screen shot but the right hand side is a splitter with the bottom half displaying a preview of the selected card. I am undecided how useful it is since, aesthetically, it does not fit too well into the overall screen layout. I think it might be better to double-click a card to view a popup of the card image.

Also, note that you can view a sample hand or the complete set of card images in the deck which I think is useful in the context of choosing a deck.
Lodici
Programmer

Re: Deck chooser screen

Postby Lodici » 04 Jul 2014, 11:35

Also while playing around with designs for this screen I had a go at implementing a simpler view of the deck cards based on a common format that I noticed appears on a lot of websites. Here is a very crude first attempt -
screenshot2.png

Let me know if this would be useful and I will look to add as an alternative view.
Lodici
Programmer

Postby ShawnieBoy » 04 Jul 2014, 21:25

I'm liking this addition, I normally have a tendency to name a deck something that makes sense at the time, then have to open it to find out what on earth it is!

Lodici wrote:Also while playing around with designs for this screen I had a go at implementing a simpler view of the deck cards based on a common format that I noticed appears on a lot of websites. Here is a very crude first attempt -

Let me know if this would be useful and I will look to add as an alternative view.
I could see this being a useful way of importing a deck, although I could see myself using it to export as well. Another avenue for you ;)
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby Lodici » 14 Jul 2014, 07:57

I have added a filter dialog to the deck selection screen that will let you filter the list of decks by size, name, description or card.
screenshot.png
Lodici
Programmer

Postby Lodici » 15 Jul 2014, 12:06

ShawnieBoy wrote:I could see this being a useful way of importing a deck, although I could see myself using it to export as well. Another avenue for you ;)
I am hoping with better deck management we can revive the seemingly stagnant list of prebuilt decks. If an import/export option would help then I am all for it. Do you have any particular format(s) in mind?
Lodici
Programmer

Postby ShawnieBoy » 15 Jul 2014, 13:01

Lodici wrote:
ShawnieBoy wrote:I could see this being a useful way of importing a deck, although I could see myself using it to export as well. Another avenue for you ;)
I am hoping with better deck management we can revive the seemingly stagnant list of prebuilt decks. If an import/export option would help then I am all for it. Do you have any particular format(s) in mind?
Hmm, interesting thought. Most software has a 'basic' export function which is a simple list of card names and amounts, normally in a variation of:
Code: Select all
4 CARDNAME
4x CARDNAME
The wizards website uses the former - some decks will be including a sideboard - normally with a blank line or two to separate them. (Along with leading and trailing blank lines)

20 Snow-Covered Mountain
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Figure of Destiny
3 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
4 Blood Moon
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Desperate Ritual
4 Koth of the Hammer
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pyroclasm
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Skred

1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Combust
3 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Shattering Spree
2 Shatterstorm
2 Torpor Orb

MTGO doesn't have leading or trailing lines, and only has one blank line between main deck and sideboard.

Importing into MTGO with a default .dec file from Magarena, puts cards into a sideboard after each blank line
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby Lodici » 21 Jul 2014, 07:16

I have just committed an update that tries to be a bit more forgiving if a deck cannot be parsed. Instead of crashing out or bothering the user with an error dialog it now displays the invalid deck with its name scored out and in red. The reason for failure is displayed in the deck description field. Anyway, a screenshot is worth a 1000 words as they say -
screenshot.png

I have also renamed "Custom" to "Player" which I think is less ambiguous and "Preconstructed" to "Prebuilt" to standardize terminology.
Lodici
Programmer

Return to Development