It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:01

Text Size

XMage Launcher ready for beta testing

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Re: XMage Launcher ready for beta testing

Postby LevelX » 23 Oct 2014, 18:02

BetaSteward wrote:5) Regarding keeping logs: Since the logs are never removed/archived by the client or server I can see them growing quite large over time. Removing them occasionally might improve performance. Perhaps I could add an archive feature to the Launcher which would rename the current log file to something with the date and preserve the folder between installs.
Hmm, I guess you got me wrong. I didn't talk about the server and client log4J logs. I talked about the game logs that will be written for each played game and saved into the subfolder /gamelogs/ as soon as a game ends. With that you can often reconstruct bug situations or check what happened during a game after it's finished.

But maybe it would for all the logs be a good solution to have a little dialog where you can check what kind of files you want to keep and which not.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby BetaSteward » 23 Oct 2014, 18:46

Sorry about that ... I wasn't aware of those logs. It definitely makes sense to preserve them. I'll add the folder to the list of exclusions.

I'll also setup some log archiving. Not only will it keep the logs smaller but it will make it easier to find entries since you won't have to search through a giant file.
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Postby gabriele83 » 24 Oct 2014, 00:30

Ok I have translated it in italian but it doesn't let me post it here, it says it looks too spammy!
gabriele83

Postby BetaSteward » 24 Oct 2014, 01:19

You can send it to my email: betasteward@gmail.com

Thanks for helping out.
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Postby gabriele83 » 24 Oct 2014, 15:31

Done :-)
gabriele83

Postby BetaSteward » 24 Oct 2014, 15:34

I have uploaded the latest version of the XMage Launcher. It now has been translated into Italian.

Grazie gabriele83.
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Postby Ideocl4st » 03 Nov 2014, 02:11

Mac user on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) here, and it doesn't work apparently.

It downloads and unpacks Java properly, but it does not unpack xmage.dl (I can unpack the file manually if I run it into an unzipper, so downloading seems to be ok)

Is there a verbose mode for the launcher? I don't know how and why unpacking would go wrong only for xmage.
Ideocl4st

Postby adlally » 03 Nov 2014, 18:41

Hey,

Thanks for this launcher! It's very helpful.

I'm running OSX 10.9 Mavericks, and it doesn't work out of the box. The java directory structure is a bit different. Here's what I had to do to get it working:

mv /Users/austinlally/xmage/java/jre1.7.0_71.jre /Users/austinlally/xmage/java/jre1.7.0_71
mv /Users/austinlally/xmage/java/jre1.7.0_71/Contents/Home/* /Users/austinlally/xmage/java/jre1.7.0_71/

Edit:
This was using the version I downloaded today, 11/3. XMageLauncher.jar has a modification date of 10/27/2014. The version reads 0.1.0-beta.

Somewhere in this thread you mentioned the possibility of versioning the launcher. I support that, if only for ease of debugging.
adlally

Postby BetaSteward » 04 Nov 2014, 03:11

Ideocl4st wrote:Mac user on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) here, and it doesn't work apparently.

It downloads and unpacks Java properly, but it does not unpack xmage.dl (I can unpack the file manually if I run it into an unzipper, so downloading seems to be ok)

Is there a verbose mode for the launcher? I don't know how and why unpacking would go wrong only for xmage.
Thanks for taking to time to debug the Launcher. Java is tarred and zipped while XMage is only zipped. Because of the tarring I am using a different library to extract Java.

I have uploaded a new version that writes out error messages to a log file named xmage_launcher.log

When you run it again take a look at the log and let me know what error messages if any are present.
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Postby BetaSteward » 04 Nov 2014, 03:15

adlally wrote:I'm running OSX 10.9 Mavericks, and it doesn't work out of the box. The java directory structure is a bit different. Here's what I had to do to get it working:

mv /Users/austinlally/xmage/java/jre1.7.0_71.jre /Users/austinlally/xmage/java/jre1.7.0_71
mv /Users/austinlally/xmage/java/jre1.7.0_71/Contents/Home/* /Users/austinlally/xmage/java/jre1.7.0_71/
Thanks for the feedback. I took a look a the OS X package that Oracle provides and it is definitely different than that for Windows and Linux. I was hoping that I could treat them equally but I now see that's not possible. I'll try to get an update out soon that fixes the folder names.
BetaSteward
DEVELOPER

Postby Ideocl4st » 04 Nov 2014, 11:26

BetaSteward wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I took a look a the OS X package that Oracle provides and it is definitely different than that for Windows and Linux. I was hoping that I could treat them equally but I now see that's not possible. I'll try to get an update out soon that fixes the folder names.
Yep, after downloading the verbose version the log basically showed me this :

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/Users/Ideocl4st/Applications/XMage/java/jre1.7.0_71/bin/java" (in directory "/Users/Ideocl4st/Applications/XMage/xmage/mage-client"): error=2, No such file or directory
Surely enough, changing the location of java into whatever the launcher was expecting made it work.

The launcher crashes sometimes when I launch the client (the client is fine though), or when I stop and start the server again, but other than that changing the location of Java does the trick.
Ideocl4st

Previous

Return to Developers Talk