It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:47

Text Size

Script for adding sets?

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Script for adding sets?

Postby grabmyrooster » 19 May 2016, 00:52

I've made several custom cards so far (cards I designed for myself and cards that my friends have requested) and have been able to code two in over the past three or four days with little free time. What I was wondering was: is there a way (possibly via perl or java scripting) to have a zip file or jar file of a custom set, cards, and card images, that I could send to a friend, that they could then add to their client to use against bots or LAN players? Basically, I want to compile the list of cards I've been requested to code into a small set of 20 or 30 and allow my friends to easily add them to their own clients for LAN play. Someone on reddit suggested I just clone the repo and create a branch of my own for people to download/play with, but I was wondering if there was an easier way to do it. Thanks!
grabmyrooster

Re: Script for adding sets?

Postby escplan9 » 19 May 2016, 00:59

Welcome to the forums :) it was me who sent you here. Anyways, I think it should be doable by doing as I mentioned in the post on the subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/XMage/comments ... nd_coding/

Someone more experienced can perhaps give more detail
escplan9

Postby grabmyrooster » 19 May 2016, 01:09

Thanks! I know there are probably ways to "inject" the files into the client, so to speak, but I'm not as familiar with perl as I'd like and not as familiar with Java as I used to be. So it's definitely going to be an endeavor, that's for sure. Now that I've been using NetBeans to code the cards and the set and everything, my launcher won't launch the client or server anymore, so I have to launch through NetBeans. Not everyone I play with is as savvy with this kind of stuff as I am, so I figured a script would be easier for them to run once and not have to worry about. Then again, I know it'd have to be a separate XMage installation in a different folder, otherwise there'd be issues when they went to play online and had a modified client.
grabmyrooster

Postby escplan9 » 19 May 2016, 14:16

You should have a completely separate XMage install for playing games with people online (and then one for development testing only) so not sure why that's happening for you. For instance, my original XMage install when I'm playing games is in c:\games\XMage . My development version is in "...My Documents/Netbeans Projects/...." so they're completely separate.

Assuming you do have them in separate directories, there's ways to clean out the original XMage install completely (including removing its related registry keys) so you can go back to being able to play online. I would try just whacking out the original install directory and starting over with the installation first (maybe just backing up the card images so you don't have to redownload all of them again).

About a script to inject the code changes so your friends don't need to say get NetBeans and clone your repository etc, I'm not seeing how that would work without some technical expertise. Java requires the code to be compiled - you can inject into the .java files, but your friends would still need to compile the changes. I'm not much of a Java guru myself, but at least that much should be true.
escplan9

Return to Developers Talk