It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:11

Text Size

Banding ability

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Banding ability

Postby MTGfan » 19 Nov 2016, 05:25

I've been looking at older cards not implemented and quite a number of them would be easy to implement given code for Bands ability. However I'm not sure how to go about coding the Banding ability assuming it is not coded yet. For reference "Any creatures with banding, and up to one without, can attack in a band. Bands are blocked as a group. If any creatures with banding you control are blocking or being blocked by a creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking." Any pointers on how to start, assuming the ability isn't coded yet. Thanks.
MTGfan

Re: Banding ability

Postby SickBoyWI » 05 Apr 2017, 15:38

I've been looking through recently, and noticed the same thing. I play vintage style, 93/94 type, only. We could make a lot of the unimplemented old school cards easy to implement by adding banding.

Since no one responded, I think it's safe to say that no one knows.

Perhaps we can discuss here, and come up with a solution. Then one of us can implement it. Or we can divvy up the tasks, and both do parts of it.

You've defined banding there, so that's step one.

In terms of how the game would work with banding, I think we'd need the following:
1. If a creature with banding is selected as attacker or blocker, the game should ask if you'd like to band (assuming other creatures are available).
2. The game should stack the creatures, and set the S/T as the total of the cratures, effectively treat them as one.
3. The attack or block can be resolved
4. During the damage application step, the game would have to ask which creatures to apply how much damage to.
5. Then it can move any that died off as normal, or adjust the remaining T on each accordingly for the rest of the turn.

The last trick is to account for alterations to the plan that occur due to instants. Say you declare an attacker, band it, and then one of the critters gets unsummoned or the like. The whole thing needs to be updated, and the game needs to determine if the band is still legal, if not, break it up. I'd have to think on that a little more, perhaps it isn't really a problem.

Please fill in anything I'm missing here! Any contributions are appreciated.
SickBoyWI

Return to Developers Talk