It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:24

Text Size

Reproducing Richard Garfield's "Proposal" Card

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Reproducing Richard Garfield's "Proposal" Card

Postby skibulk » 07 May 2013, 19:52

As discussed previously in the Promos Thread here, this is HQ artwork by Tim Hilderbrandt. This artwork has been used in a digital rendering of Richard Garfield's famous "Proposal" card, however this is not the artwork used. In fact only a handful of people have ever seen the true artwork. Here's more info. Another rendering of the card, with different artwork may be seen here. Neither of these are correct and we may never actually see the painting used.

Quinton Hoover created the real art and agreed not to share it with anybody. The artist passed last month, a tragedy to his many MTG fans. Still, we can keep our fingers crossed that the artwork becomes revealed as a result of these events.

I think we should select a more appropriate image for this card's rendering, in honor of Quinton Hoover. I'm a fan of "The End of the Quest" by Sir Frank Dicksee, attached. Still, this art doesn't match the style of Quinton Hoover at the time the card was created. His pen-and-ink technique lended itself to bold strokes and pastel colors. I've applied some filters in Photoshop to "The End of the Quest" to approximate Quinton's palette, but I cannot mimic the ink effect. I also darkened the hair of the woman, Richard's girlfriend was Asian and likely had dark hair.

Will somebody assist with the inking, by hand I presume?
Attachments
Quest-Edit.jpg
The End of the Quest by Sir Frank Dicksee.jpg
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Return to Pictures