It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:26

Text Size

LotR - The Fellowship of the Ring

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: LotR - The Fellowship of the Ring

Postby extreme » 22 Jul 2009, 18:02

I used to correct some cards in MTG, yes, but not all of them, of course. I still do, if the variations are way too big. However, for older sets, we have decided to leave them be, since this is how they looked anyway. Now I do little individual color correcting. There's no problem whatsoever, i just wanted to clarify where we stand :)
Ok then, since you are ok with them, I am ok with them, I finished all the cards. Waiting for a new batch :)

Another thing: how many categories are there ? In mtg there are the five colors, lands, colorless and multicolored. Here there are many more, so far I see: dwarven, elf, gandalf, gondor, isengard, moria, ringwraith, rohan, sauron, shire, 2 kinds of lands and the ring. Are there any more categories ? do lands come in more colors ?
SCANNING HOW-TO: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=451
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby extreme » 22 Jul 2009, 18:24

i found out some more: gollum , raider, dunland, men, orc, urukhai. Are there any more ?
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby FirePenguinMaster » 22 Jul 2009, 18:42

yeah Decipher got culture-happy and created tons of different ones, roughly based on location (usually)....and then created more to replace the old ones after set 10, which is when i stopped playing.

the cultures for the first 10 sets were
The One Ring (which was just kind of an unofficial culture...didn't have a culture symbol or anything)
♦Dunland
●Dwarven
●Elven
●Gandalf
●/♦Gollum (which was weird because it had both Free Peoples and Shadow cards in it)
●Gondor
♦Isengard
♦Moria
♦Raider
♦Ringwraith
●Rohan
♦Sauron
●Shire
and Sites (brown for normal ones, silver for "Sanctuary" sites where you can heal)

coming with the great brainfart that was set 11, we were introduced to an entirely revamped Shadow side where all our favorite evil characters were reorganized into cultures based on race instead of location:
The One Ring
●Dwarven
●Elven
●Gandalf
●/♦Gollum
●Gondor
♦Evil Men
♦Orc
●Rohan
●Shire
♦Uruk-hai
♦Wraith
and the sites (which were changed to all brown due to a really strange re-engineering of how they worked in the game)

this really just irked me because nobody was playing the game for the amazing balanced and thought-provoking genius gameplay design... we were all playing it because it was Lord of the Rings. sucking the flavor out of it by making our evil minions generic Orc culture instead of Sauron's orcs or the Uruk-hai of Isengard was just stupid. Decipher did throw in a smattering of the old Shadow cultures now and then (like they would always go back to the Moria culture for each new version of The Balrog), but it really was just too painful playing with those butt-ugly orange Orc cards after growing to love the black and red awesomeness that was the Sauron culture.

i'll see what i can do about getting another batch sent off to you asap. my collection is ridiculously unorganized right now, so sorting it is a pain and a half...but we're getting there :D
FirePenguinMaster
HQ Team Member

Postby FirePenguinMaster » 24 Jul 2009, 08:14

here's another batch to do that thing you do to... to do.. two.. you doo doo.... too2.........

http://www.mediafire.com/?fz4goj1kvvg

i know Foul Creation is a repeat, but i noticed something about the first one i sent: it wasn't first edition. if you look in the very very very bottom-right corner, there should be a little number 1 in a circle in all the scans i've sent. if there aren't i missed something and need to find a new card to be scanned...unless of course having reprints doesn't bother you.

i also included a few scans from set 9 just to see how the foil layer would hold up. let me know if there's anything i can/should do to make them better, cuz i honestly don't really have any idea if that quality is good enough or not. interesting thing is that the ones turned 45 degrees seemed to light up orange whereas the ones at 90 degrees were blue. interesting...

ALSO tossed in, at the last minute, those crazy full-frame Balrog toys i mentioned earlier. just got my hands on a ton of the rare cards today so there's a warm happy place in my heart again. :)

cheers
FirePenguinMaster
HQ Team Member

Postby extreme » 24 Jul 2009, 13:58

I'm not extremely happy with the foils, they should be as devoid of extra color as possible. Some of them have too many reflections - particularly cyan.
Went ebay shopping, did you ? :)
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby extreme » 24 Jul 2009, 14:35

saruman's chill is there twice and one has a strange casting cost, is this a regular misprint ?
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby extreme » 24 Jul 2009, 15:32

what does the (1) in the extreme bottom right corner mean ?
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby FirePenguinMaster » 24 Jul 2009, 15:59

are there any ways i can try to reduce the amount of extra colors and reflections in the foils then? all i did was different card rotations at 45° increments, no special settings on the scanner.

oh right i meant to mention that: Saruman's Chill is included twice on purpose, yes, because the one with two casting costs printed is a misprint. it's a relatively common one, but i thought i would include it just because it's part of the history of the game and it would be cool to have on file.

the (1) denotes a first edition printing. if there is no (1) the card is a reprint, if there's a Λ sign it means it's a reprint with errata corrections.

and yes i did go ebay shopping, but these are all just from binders my brother brought down from my house in wisconsin. ^^ my ebay items are for later sets, for after i stopped collecting so fervently.
FirePenguinMaster
HQ Team Member

Postby extreme » 24 Jul 2009, 17:10

unfortunately rotation is the only thing that kinda works. The scanner plays a very important role, it seems, and different scanners yield different results (it's also a question of scanning technology apparently). Anyway, unfortunately for foils you have to try various orientations and see which one has the least reflection. We were not able to solve this problem - Huggy and I and possibly presetm tried a lot of procedures involving various filters, polarizers, sheets of acetate etc. Nothing worked. So far PresetM is the most successful, it seems his scanner works better than most with foils. He also tries a lot of rotations.
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby FirePenguinMaster » 25 Jul 2009, 14:23

alrighty then. i'll see what i can do about those rotations.
FirePenguinMaster
HQ Team Member

Postby extreme » 25 Jul 2009, 15:19

I recommend rotating in increments of 30-45 deg and doing a preview - you can see clearly in the preview if all is ok and only then start scanning.
extreme
HQ Team Member

Previous

Return to Pictures