It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:10

Text Size

Question

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Question

Postby woogerboy21 » 11 Aug 2014, 16:51

Nevin wrote:I know that WotC are obsessive about their "intellectual property", but it seems there's no problem in downloading card pictures, or "edits" of them. How come ?
My guess is because Wizards themselves gives the image away already on the gatherer.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Re: Question

Postby Nevin » 12 Aug 2014, 21:19

woogerboy21 wrote:My guess is because Wizards themselves gives the image away already on the gatherer.
I don't think so. They've "shut down" people who made their own character sheets, or provide sort of index of races, classes, etc., for DnD. So I can just imagine, the reaction after a copy-paste of, for example, Soulborn :D
Nevin

Postby woogerboy21 » 13 Aug 2014, 14:08

Nevin wrote:
woogerboy21 wrote:My guess is because Wizards themselves gives the image away already on the gatherer.
I don't think so. They've "shut down" people who made their own character sheets, or provide sort of index of races, classes, etc., for DnD. So I can just imagine, the reaction after a copy-paste of, for example, Soulborn :D
My second guess would be that to track down every individual that uses there images would cost a fortune. I would expect them to take down the big names but smaller individuals (or groups) just isn't practical.

Take this place as an example, if wizards came rolling in and said "Hey Stop". What will most likely happen in your mind?
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby skibulk » 13 Aug 2014, 14:17

woogerboy21 wrote:Take this place as an example, if wizards came rolling in and said "Hey Stop". What will most likely happen in your mind?
We'd move to another site :)

From a product sales perspective, having an image boosts sales. So our distribution of card images probably indirectly helps Wizards, by helping online stores. Artwork is a different story entirely.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby woogerboy21 » 13 Aug 2014, 14:54

skibulk wrote:
woogerboy21 wrote:Take this place as an example, if wizards came rolling in and said "Hey Stop". What will most likely happen in your mind?
We'd move to another site :)

From a product sales perspective, having an image boosts sales. So our distribution of card images probably indirectly helps Wizards, by helping online stores. Artwork is a different story entirely.
LoL.
I was going to say move the site to a country that cares not about the US copyright laws.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Nevin » 13 Aug 2014, 16:23

woogerboy21 wrote:I would expect them to take down the big names but smaller individuals (or groups) just isn't practical.
And yet it has been done:
- crystalkeep,
- emass-web,
- or generally speaking about "glorious fight for "intellectual property"" - Capitol Records, Inc. v. Thomas-Rasset.

Don't know. That depends who provides the servers, and from where. If it's really Germany*2, then I guess you do have more options, than US ones.

skibulk wrote:From a product sales perspective, having an image boosts sales. So our distribution of card images probably indirectly helps Wizards, by helping online stores.
I agree - free sample, advertisement of "the real deal". And yet, "intellectual property" holders, fight anyone who's perceived as a threat\competition\whatever, vide users uploading music videoclips on YT, for not other reason as to share that music with others.

skibulk wrote:Artwork is a different story entirely.
That's another thing. You can download whole cards scans, and crops\edits of them. So that's like double IP infringement - you "raep" not only card as a whole, work, but separately the artwork too.

Maybe I'm missing something, but for a company with that "itchy" C&D finger, letting this fly (availability of MtG card scans, and edits in general), is strange.

P.S.
To "people in power"\admin panel:
Please don't trash this, just split it into a new thread if you must.
Thank you.
Nevin

Postby Huggybaby » 13 Aug 2014, 16:37

This subject has been done before. Speculation doesn't accomplish much.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Nevin » 13 Aug 2014, 16:39

Huggybaby wrote:This subject has been done before. Speculation doesn't accomplish much.
Can you point me to it ?
Nevin

Postby Huggybaby » 13 Aug 2014, 16:43

This subject comes up once a year I think, no idea where the previous iterations are.

Sorry for the crappy split job, I misread one of the options.

<edit> GH received permission to post images a long time ago. We don't make any money from them. Our server is not in the US. I'm not a lawyer and don't like trying to think like one. If "something" ever happens not much will change.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby woogerboy21 » 13 Aug 2014, 16:46

I'm not saying they can't come after people. Sure, they can. But even in all the examples you stated has the underlying problem you speak of IP or copyright infringement completely stopped?

The company has to simply figure out if its worth there time and resources.
Im also not convinced that wizards is a itchy fingered as you think.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Nevin » 13 Aug 2014, 16:55

Huggybaby wrote:This subject comes up once a year I think, no idea where the previous iterations are.
O.K. So what's the answer, consensus ?

Huggybaby wrote:Sorry for the crappy split job, I misread one of the options.
Seen, done worse :)

woogerboy21 wrote:But even in all the examples you stated has the underlying problem you speak of IP or copyright infringement completely stopped?
You're reading too much into my post. I'm not with the mp3\mp4\mkv\whatever\Police. And I would download a car, if I could (with 3D printing, people are trying even today, so someday maybe we will).
I'm just asking why WotC didn't come down like a bag of hammers, on scanned cards, like they did with their other IP.

woogerboy21 wrote:The company has to simply figure out if its worth there time and resources.
And yet they did what I've mentioned before.

woogerboy21 wrote:Im also not convinced that wizards is a itchy fingered as you think.
Use your favorite search engine, to find info about those two websites I've mentioned, and you'll see that it has nothing to do with what I think, believe.
Last edited by Nevin on 13 Aug 2014, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Nevin

Postby woogerboy21 » 13 Aug 2014, 16:59

Nevin wrote:You're reading too much into my post. I'm not with the mp3\mp4\mkv\whatever\Police. And I would download a car, if I could (with 3D printing, people are trying even today, so someday maybe we will).
I'm just asking why WotC didn't come down like a bag of hammers, on scanned cards, like they did with their other IP.
I'm gonna go with its a love/hate relationship..... :-k
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby woogerboy21 » 13 Aug 2014, 17:29

You know what I would find amusing, is if Wizards is actually using images from some group like this one for making advertisement items. They figure they can cut back on the cost of photo editors and just use the community.

That I would find amusing. (Though highly doubtful)
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby woogerboy21 » 13 Aug 2014, 18:02

Nevin wrote:
woogerboy21 wrote:Im also not convinced that wizards is a itchy fingered as you think.
Use your favorite search engine, to find info about those two websites I've mentioned, and you'll see that it has nothing to do with what I think, believe.
I just noticed this reply... 2 websites is hardly grounds for a title of "itchy c&d" in my mind.

Edit:
Plus so far crystalkeep is still up and running? Maybe its just there D&D stuff they were bent out of shape over as it seems that you examples lead back to that.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Nevin » 14 Aug 2014, 07:48

woogerboy21 wrote:2 websites is hardly grounds for a title of "itchy c&d" in my mind.
Well, I don't "keep tabs" on WotC legal department, so those are the two I know of.
But if you use that search engine I've mentioned, and query like: "Cease and desist wotc", you'll find more info (magicdraftsim for example, or some web comic about rust monster). And all on the first page.
Still not enough ? Then keep in mind that, those are the ones that made public. Do you know how many didn't ?

woogerboy21 wrote:Plus so far crystalkeep is still up and running?
Yes, it is "running" alright, like Forrest G., and in DnD section they have this:

woogerboy21 wrote:Maybe its just there D&D stuff they were bent out of shape over as it seems that you examples lead back to that.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819064
http://roxiecards.com/cockatrice-server ... -by-hasbro
Maybe not.

P.S.
I can't find general forum rules, just FAQ. It doesn't exist ?
Nevin

Next

Return to Pictures