It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:03

Text Size

Modern Scanner Selection

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Modern Scanner Selection

Postby J0my » 05 Jan 2015, 03:09

Hello, this is more of an extention to this viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5341 where that topic was mostly asking about basically the cheapest scanner to use. I am more chasing a decent scanner on that is more cost/quality, not the cheapest of the cheap but something that will do the job well. That topic is about 4 years old at that point and that means that newer models are out compared to the scanners listed in the previous topic.

I have a collection of cards (non-magic) that I am looking to make a digital backup of essentially to preserve them if only to make proxies of for future use if needed to replace cards as the game is no longer in print and is essentially dead for now. It is a large collection over 10 years worth of collecting in it and would take a fair amount of time which would most likely rule out the option others have mentioned of going into places and getting them to scan cards as well as physical limitation I have with transport (though I might try as a test to see how some turn out).

From what I have gleaned from the other topic the scanner should be: Flat bed, non LED if wanting to scan foils (although the majority of scanners these days are all LED?), and of a decent quality. Also I live in Australia so it also makes the range of things that I can purchase a bit limited my options perhaps are all that is offered from these such places: officeworks(dot)com(dot)au (it will not allow me to post the link). Or is there any other kinds of scanners you could reccomend at all? Any help would be appreciated ^_^
J0my

Re: Modern Scanner Selection

Postby Teppic » 05 Jan 2015, 11:00

Hi J0my,

I'd suggest a Canon LiDE 210. This is an indirect exposure LED scanner. For a reasonably priced scanner it has done a very good job scanning foils and non-foils. This scanner has been used to scan quite a few of the recent CCGHQ releases. I got mine from Officeworks here in Oz. They now retail for around AUD $150.

For a more expensive option, skibulk recommends the CanoScan 9000F Mark II, but that will set you back AUD $300-400.

Postby skibulk » 05 Jan 2015, 12:51

The LiDE 210 is great for non-foils, I think. While we've been using it for promos, there is still banding in the scans, especially in pure foil (white) areas. Woogerboy bought the same LiDE 210 a couple months back and it seemed to be defective (it had worse banding than Teppic's, even for regular cards).
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby J0my » 05 Jan 2015, 13:30

Thanks for the replies so far ^_^ nice to know theres another aussie around. The scanner suggested the Canon LiDE 210, I shall have to look into some more. Does sound like it does have its issues as well, what is a simple way to test for it being non defect like you say Woogerboys is? At that price range does sound like it is in a nice place. Just checked office works and they also have a Canon LiDE 220 at a $10 difference, perhaps just an annual refresh of the model, if there are any changes at all? Again thanks for the replies and will continue to monitor to see if there are any other suggestions to weigh in on. Hope you all had a good weekend ^_^
J0my

Postby skibulk » 05 Jan 2015, 13:53

@J0my, if you make a test scan with whatever model you buy, we can take a look and let you know if it's usable. I hope that, if you do scan your collection, you would consider sharing your scans with us. We probably wouldn't process them soon, but maybe some day. What kind of cards are they?
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby J0my » 05 Jan 2015, 17:45

If it is something you guys would want sure I would offer it to you guys ^_^. The card game is Warlord: Saga of the storm by AEG, have you guys heard of it? Thanks also for the offer to take a look at a test scan also ;) I had made a template for if a card is in bad condition so long as the cards actual artwork is fine, I can restore it pretty much exactly like a mint condition one for example heres a card I made for the Christmas event that just past, ah damn spam filter i(dot)imgur(dot)com/s8q9zGw(dot)png
J0my

Postby StuHL232 » 07 Jan 2015, 03:37

Hi all,

I have a similar project in mind for my favorite AEG game, 7th Sea. I was a big fan of Warlord back in the day as well :). Thank you for the scanner suggestions.
StuHL232

Postby J0my » 07 Jan 2015, 03:50

I have heard of 7th sea, never really seen it though, is it not in print like warlord is? hopefully you can grab some when i am done ^_^ choices choices >_< on the scanners, I shall most likely be procrastinating for a while. the Cheaper/smaller version that some people have issues with or the bigger bulkier 9000 one. has anyone else gotten the CanoScan 9000F Mark II, to weigh in on?
J0my

Postby woogerboy21 » 07 Jan 2015, 15:02

From my experience, when your dealing with scanners it all breaks down to the light source. You have two different types. Either LED or Cold Cathode Fluorescent. My recommendation if your looking for a good scanner (not cheap), go with a Cold Cathode Fluorescent scanner. Keep in mind there are many factors as to what makes a good scanner good and the only real way to tell is to produce an actual scan on the scanner and verify.

I thought skibulk had the CanoScan 9000F didnt he?
I use an Epson Perfection 4490
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby J0my » 08 Jan 2015, 00:21

Most of the scanners that I can see available all seem to be LED. None appear to be Cold Cathode, the canoscan 9000fMKII is also from what I can see from specs an LED scanner. I can see available in my country is a Epson Perfection V370 Film and Print Scanner, if that is comparison to your EP 4490 at all.
J0my

Postby skibulk » 08 Jan 2015, 00:36

The Canoscan 9000F MKII does have an LED light source, and there's nothing wrong with that. What's important is the CCD sensor. These seem to be the only reliable sensors for scanning foil cards.

http://www.imageaccess.de/?page=WhitePapersCCDOrCIS
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby J0my » 08 Jan 2015, 03:27

Ok so according to manufacturers websites the Canon LiDE 210/220 have CIS, the Cannoscan 9000F MKII and the Epson Perfection v370 both have CCD. Now if we are not too worried about scanning foils a CIS would be ok? (of course though as you say it can be hard to tell until you have done a scan). Curiously can someone show what a scanned foil looks like? and @skibulk I am assuming you are happy with your scanner? it's also not too imposing size wise?
J0my

Postby Teppic » 08 Jan 2015, 09:46

J0my wrote:Curiously can someone show what a scanned foil looks like?
Sure. Many scanned foil cards

Postby J0my » 09 Jan 2015, 18:11

thanks for that, so scanned foils look a bit darker then a normal scan? that is just how it looks to me, is anyone able to comment on the epson v370 perfectio vs the cannoscan 9000f MKII? as they are both CCD
Last edited by J0my on 09 Jan 2015, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
J0my

Postby skibulk » 09 Jan 2015, 19:26

A good CIS scanner will work perfectly with non-foil cards. The 9000F is actually pretty big. The measurements should be on the product page.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Next

Return to Pictures