It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 09:40

Text Size

Other card games

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Other card games

Postby -scyther- » 02 May 2015, 08:00

Hello,
I know that this has been discussed before, but the community has grown quite a bit from the olden days (not that I was here, just guessing from the forum activity :).
There are many great TCG/CCG games which should be preserved, and everybody has it's favorites. Yes, I know that even doing only MtG is hard work and the releases are coming slowly, but by including other games you could lure in more great people, which have little interest in MtG, but would gladly help with their favorite games.

So write your opinion below. I suggest that if we would do other games, it would be the popular first, so Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh and maybe Warcraft?

I can only speak about the situation in Pokémon, as it's the other game I play besides MtG. The scan quality is somewhat good for the regular sets in English, but any foreign releases, including Japanese (which have many many exclusive or alternate cards) are to be found only with watermarks and in sub-par quality. And if we talk promos, then there is no hope for good quality scans. That's why I would love if this project also started a Pokémon CCG section.

Let the discussion start!
-scyther-

Re: Other card games

Postby -scyther- » 12 May 2015, 18:35

Okay, seems like nobody relevant saw my message/has anything relevant to say. I have made a test scan of some Pokémon cards, so I would be glad if somebody had a look at them and saw how different the post-processing would be from MtG.
Link here
Still, thanks for all the MtG stuff. But I hope there is hope for other card games too :D
-scyther-

Postby Huggybaby » 15 May 2015, 18:15

I would love to have nice scans of all these CCG's. Been asking for years, but there just doesn't seem to be enough interest, at least on this forum.

It's almost impossible to find people to help with MTG scanning, so I'm afraid other sets will depend on a motivated individual. But if you can get the ball rolling, who knows what the future might hold.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Bog Wraith » 16 May 2015, 16:19

Huggy is correct when saying that it's hard to find anyone here who has any interest in other CCG's as far as scans are concerned. I have beautiful scans of all the cards for games like middle-earth & the original Star Trek CCG that I made custom databases to be able to play those games in Magic Workstation for, but no one ever showed much interest in it or them. I also have some sets of scans for Legend of the 5 Rings & some other games too.

If you have or can get scans for games like Pokémon, they can always be posted here at CCGHQ, but one problem is finding software that can play that game.

Lackey CCG is a program that can play other CCG's and it is a cross platform application for Windows, Mac & Linux. There is even one for iPad as well.

http://www.lackeyccg.com

There are other apps that can host these type games but I can't remember what they are. You can do some searches to find out about them.

Keep us up to date on what you're doing. The more CCG games like this we can add here, the better!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Snoops2 » 16 May 2015, 18:55

Bog Wraith wrote:If you have or can get scans for games like Pokémon, they can always be posted here at CCGHQ, but one problem is finding software that can play that game.
Lackey CCG is a program that can play other CCG's and it is a cross platform application for Windows, Mac & Linux. There is even one for iPad as well.
http://www.lackeyccg.com
You can play Pokemon with HQ images on Lackey :) I made the plugin which you can find the link for here:
http://lackeyccg.com/pokemon/

I also provide this site with the HQ images of every set:
http://pkmncards.com/sets/

Hope you guys find this useful

Edit:
Not many people play Pokemon on Lackey as the UI isn't the greatest. Most people play Pokemon online here: tcgone.net/play.php
Snoops2

Postby -scyther- » 16 May 2015, 22:14

Huggybaby wrote:I would love to have nice scans of all these CCG's. Been asking for years, but there just doesn't seem to be enough interest, at least on this forum.

It's almost impossible to find people to help with MTG scanning, so I'm afraid other sets will depend on a motivated individual. But if you can get the ball rolling, who knows what the future might hold.
I can try to pull some strings, but don't count on me. The question I have is what about post-processing? How much is layout dependent, and would need to change for each game/card type? How hard is it to process scans, and especially completely new types of scans, like special holofoils?

Huggy is correct when saying that it's hard to find anyone here who has any interest in other CCG's as far as scans are concerned. I have beautiful scans of all the cards for games like middle-earth & the original Star Trek CCG that I made custom databases to be able to play those games in Magic Workstation for, but no one ever showed much interest in it or them. I also have some sets of scans for Legend of the 5 Rings & some other games too.
Even though I am not familiar with these games, I would be glad if you could release them here in the name of CCGHQ. Not only it would spread between people, and help preserve, but also show others it's not only MtG here.

If you have or can get scans for games like Pokémon, they can always be posted here at CCGHQ, but one problem is finding software that can play that game.

[link removed because spam filters]

There are other apps that can host these type games but I can't remember what they are. You can do some searches to find out about them.
While playing with the cards online is surely a viable option, it's by far not the only use for these scans. The main goal is preserving them in good quality. Not only can you use them for art projects, making your own cards, nice proxies for playtesting, or just playing with cards you could have never gotten in your hands, but also you can have a complete overview. I studied MtG cards from sets i did not "live in" by reading the cards one by one from scans. You then really get the feel for the complete layouts, pictures, etc. Not just .txt spoilers.
And yes, both Lackey and other programs could obviously tremendously benefit from them.

You can play Pokemon with HQ images on Lackey :) I made the plugin which you can find the link for here:

I also provide this site with the HQ images of every set:

Hope you guys find this useful

Edit:
Not many people play Pokemon on Lackey as the UI isn't the greatest. Most people play Pokemon online here: [link removed because spam filters]
Can you tell me more? I know about all the projects you posted. How good are the Lackey pokemon HQ scans? 300 dpi post-processed? Can you post them here? I know about pkmncards as a good source for english basic cards, which is very nice, but not very comprehensive. Even if we cut out all the odd and wonderful promos, which would be very much appreciated for the different projects i outlined higher, there is also the different revisions (1st edition, reverse holos) and mainly about half of the cards are Japanese exclusives. What you did could be a great start though. I am looking forward to your replies. :D

Keep us up to date on what you're doing. The more CCG games like this we can add here, the better!
The thing is, I lack the two key things that are most needed here: a big and quality collection and/or skill with image editing. What I have though is a lot of knowledge about the cards, enthusiasm and maybe some good contacts. I will try to get some nice scans for the games I am interested in (Pokémon, Star Wars games). We will see how that goes. Also I can scan some of the promos I have myself, or maybe some samples from different games, so the Image guys can set up their tools. Sadly I dont think I have a complete set from any game, so I will contribute only with random oddities.
-scyther-

Postby Snoops2 » 17 May 2015, 08:16

-scyther- wrote:Can you tell me more? I know about all the projects you posted. How good are the Lackey pokemon HQ scans? 300 dpi post-processed? Can you post them here? I know about pkmncards as a good source for english basic cards, which is very nice, but not very comprehensive. Even if we cut out all the odd and wonderful promos, which would be very much appreciated for the different projects i outlined higher, there is also the different revisions (1st edition, reverse holos) and mainly about half of the cards are Japanese exclusives. What you did could be a great start though. I am looking forward to your replies. :D
Well, my Lackey plugin uses the same images that I give to pkmncards. The scans pre-HeartGold SoulSilver are scans from other people that aren't the best quality. However, for every set post-HGSS they are not actually scans. They are images ripped from the online game saved as 700x990 300dpi (I'm not sure the site keeps them at that, but I have them all backed up here should you need them uploading). Here is a sample: http://pkmncards.com/wp-content/uploads ... ros-75.jpg

I agree that pkmncards isn't as comprehensive as it could be and I'm not sure ripped images are what you're looking for but like you said, it's a start :) It would be great to have a full collection of scans similar to MtG!
Snoops2

Postby Huggybaby » 17 May 2015, 18:56

Ripped images that look like that are great! If we could get pics like those for MtG we wouldn't have to scan them.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Snoops2 » 17 May 2015, 21:28

Huggybaby wrote:Ripped images that look like that are great! If we could get pics like those for MtG we wouldn't have to scan them.
I don't own Magic 2015 and I'm not sure the same technique I use will work with this. If you're interested in trying it I can send you a pm with a small tutorial when I have some free time this week?
Snoops2

Postby Marek14 » 30 May 2015, 06:24

Snoops2 wrote:I also provide this site with the HQ images of every set:
Would it be possible to have those as zips?
Marek14
Tester

Postby Snoops2 » 30 May 2015, 08:36

Marek14 wrote:
Snoops2 wrote:I also provide this site with the HQ images of every set:
Would it be possible to have those as zips?
I'm not able to upload them atm but you can get them from that site fairly quickly.

If you have Firefox installed you can use the 'ThumbsDown' plugin to download all pictures in full resolution quickly (get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... humbsdown/).

Make sure on pkmncards.com your view is set to 'Scans only' as seen here: http://pkmncards.com/?s=e%3Aroaring-ski ... ort=number
Snoops2

Postby Agrankar » 09 Oct 2016, 06:00

I was asking the same thing ^^
Anyone know All "yugioh" Cards scan website?
Its really hard to find them all
Agrankar

Postby Arcanist » 10 Oct 2016, 19:31

Agrankar wrote:I was asking the same thing ^^
Anyone know All "yugioh" Cards scan website?
Its really hard to find them all
YuGiOh is a difficult one, probably because of the differences between the OCG and the TCG. So it really depends what you are after.

You can find a good number of scans over at YuGiOh Anime Paradijs. If you want something more exhaustive with a comparable quality, you could also check out YuGiOh Prices. The scans available on both Web sites are medium quality: 400x580 for the first, 337x500 for the second.

If you want better quality (i.e. something comparable to what exists for MtG), and you don't particularly care about having actual scans, the best alternative is the Ultimate HQ Card Project over at YGoPro. Each card is is numbered after its GBA code, which means that it is listed only once even it was printed multiple times. Please note that those are not scans, but proxies recreated from scratch. They are typically available in several versions: standard, anime-style, and full art.
Arcanist

Postby Splinterverse » 22 Apr 2017, 10:59

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but you can play anything in Tabletop Simulator (on Steam). There are a lot of CCGs on there that you can download. The quality is typically mid to low on art. However, since you can release your own mods, you could upload any of the high quality card sets you gather to Steam for play.

For those who want more info . . . basically you buy Tabletop Simulator (roughly $20 unless it's on sale). Then, you go to the Steam Workshop and search for Tabletop Simulator. There, you can "subscribe" to 1000s of mods. Board games, miniatures, CCGs, etc.

It is essentially a virtual play table that you control. It even works with VR.

Just my two cents. I'm always a fan of better art for this stuff.
---------------------------------------------
The DOTP2014 CW is updated nightly between 11 PM and 12 AM EST.
Known Issues/Bugs |
Impossible Cards List | Update Your Land Pools
Splinterverse

Postby Bog Wraith » 22 Apr 2017, 19:46

Agreed!

I have Tabletop Simulator and there are aTON of games available for free to play with it. There are great CCG's as well as great board game ports of many famous games available in the user created workshop. You can play many of these games solo as well as with friends. There is also paid content of board games and other genres that are created/sold by the game publishers.

I am a big fan of Tabletop Simulator as the UI is very good and the selection of games is enormous. Definitely one of the better titles available on Steam!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Next

Return to Pictures