OATH OF THE GATEWATCH

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

OATH OF THE GATEWATCH

Postby deicidemilan » 02 Sep 2015, 18:31

deicidemilan

Re: OATH OF THE GATEWATCH

Postby skibulk » 28 Jan 2016, 17:48

Note that the Knight Ally, Kor Ally, and Octopus tokens were reprinted from Battle for Zendikar. While the tokens themselves are identical, they have Oath of the Gatewatch ads and tips printed on their backs. Has this happened in other sets?

@charlequin - may want to include the BFZ tokens in the OGW set release.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby charlequin » 29 Jan 2016, 00:26

skibulk wrote:Note that the Knight Ally, Kor Ally, and Octopus tokens were reprinted from Battle for Zendikar. While the tokens themselves are identical, they have Oath of the Gatewatch ads and tips printed on their backs. Has this happened in other sets?
I think this is a consequence of the change to the ad cards (where as of BFZ most cards in that slot now have a token.)

My gut feeling is that since we currently release fronts and backs separately (rather than trying to link them together) it'd make more sense to include the new backs in the OGW release while leaving the reprinted tokens (if they really are identical) out, but I'm definitely pretty close to the middle on it.
charlequin
HQ Team Member

Postby Agetian » 01 Feb 2016, 20:53

Don't the reprinted tokens still have, at the very least, the OGW set symbol on them instead of the BFZ one? If they do, they're technically not entirely identical (even if the picture on them is the same), and I'd say it'd be good to include the reprints in the OGW release.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby charlequin » 01 Feb 2016, 22:17

Agetian wrote:Don't the reprinted tokens still have, at the very least, the OGW set symbol on them instead of the BFZ one?
The reprinted scions do (because they updated them to use the C symbol) but the others like the Octopus are printed with the BFZ symbol.
charlequin
HQ Team Member

Postby Agetian » 02 Feb 2016, 04:59

charlequin wrote:
Agetian wrote:Don't the reprinted tokens still have, at the very least, the OGW set symbol on them instead of the BFZ one?
The reprinted scions do (because they updated them to use the C symbol) but the others like the Octopus are printed with the BFZ symbol.
Oh, gotcha, thanks for the info! :)

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby kudit » 04 Feb 2016, 16:02

FWIW My vote would be to leave the bfz fronts in the bfz grouping as trying to identify tokens from their backs is a challenge and I don't know of any collectors who collect every version of token front + back. I collect tokens but I'm fine with one copy of each front and one copy of each back (yes, I collect backs :-p )
Please give feedback on our card database at http://www.deckmaster.info
Send comments via PM here or info@deckmaster.info
kudit

Postby JohnnyTH » 04 Feb 2016, 16:29

kudit wrote:FWIW My vote would be to leave the bfz fronts in the bfz grouping as trying to identify tokens from their backs is a challenge and I don't know of any collectors who collect every version of token front + back. I collect tokens but I'm fine with one copy of each front and one copy of each back (yes, I collect backs :-p )
If you collect backs it makes more sense to collect the the token/back unique pair, this way you end up with every version of the tokens and every version of the backs in a more neat way :P

anyway yes I had problems as well with organizing the tokens from Commander 2015, because i was not 100% sure how to match front and back, I think we should make it clear in the releases folders how cards are composed (which front+which back)
JohnnyTH

Postby kudit » 11 Feb 2016, 17:47

The problem is the tokens don't match the backs in a 1 to 1 mapping and even with hundreds of tokens, it's not consistent that token A has backs B, C, and E or all of them. The only time tokens and backs match 1 to 1 are with the magic duels cards or certain judge or promo tokens. Basically, you can't collect token/back unique pairs as there's no way to know all the possible combinations.

With commander tokens, it's a bit different as the tokens are double-sided with a token on the front and the back, however, I think even in that case, some tokens are more frequent than others so the same "front" could have multiple "backs". For that set, all the possible combinations could be determined, but for most sets, that information seems extremely tedious to track down and record all the combinations and I'm wondering how that information would be useful (other than for curiosity)? If you have the front/back mappings for a large number of sets, I'll be happy to add that data to our database, but that probably shouldn't be something the scanning team should have to worry about as they will often just get scans without a front-back mapping.
kudit

Postby skibulk » 11 Feb 2016, 20:37

ABU games lists most of the combinations. There is a thread on Magic Librarities with some nice compilations: http://forum.magiclibrarities.net/forum ... 764#p85764
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby kudit » 12 Feb 2016, 05:01

So is that something you want to keep up with skibulk? I would have thought you had your hands full with just processing the scans.
kudit

Postby skibulk » 12 Feb 2016, 09:33

Definately not something I want to keep track of. Just saying it's there.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby charlequin » 20 Feb 2016, 07:19

Kozilek says...

Oath scans and crops are now available in the More Releases folder below.
charlequin
HQ Team Member

Return to Pictures