It is currently 15 May 2024, 21:55

Text Size

Vector Set Symbols and Watermarks

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Vector Set Symbols and Watermarks

Postby e-w-hull » 04 Mar 2024, 03:51

Part 2 of 3

The script on the LTR vectors could be significantly simplified but I'm not look for performance on these.
Attachments
LTR.zip
(771.36 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
LTR_preview.png
LTR_preview.png (31.63 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
LTC.zip
(384.58 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
LTC_preview.png
LTC_preview.png (27.75 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
LCI.zip
(583.71 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
LCI_preview.png
LCI_preview.png (30.17 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
LCC.zip
(824.94 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
LCC_preview.png
LCC_preview.png (39.01 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
SPG.zip
(768.66 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
SPG_preview.png
SPG_preview.png (30.48 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
e-w-hull

Postby e-w-hull » 04 Mar 2024, 03:53

Part 3 of 3
Attachments
MKM.zip
(308.71 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
MKM_preview.png
MKM_preview.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
MKC.zip
(354.66 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
MKC_preview.png
MKC_preview.png (27.75 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
CLU.zip
(355.41 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
CLU_preview.png
RVR.zip
(412.94 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
RVR_preview.png
RVR_preview.png (22.42 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
WHO.zip
(385.67 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
WHO_preview.png
WHO_preview.png (23.94 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
e-w-hull

Postby Investigamer » 15 May 2024, 19:22

e-w-hull wrote:Part 3 of 3
Thanks for the contributions buddy! Will have to check these against the current ones in the mtg-vectors repository, some might be strict improvements over what is currently catalogued (its a crowdsourced effort lol).

Update with regards to the repository, we had a discord discussion regarding making the vector catalog more uniform and implementing a design spec or guideline. It has been pointed out (many times) that depending on what software is displaying the SVG's, some of them had margin spacing around the symbol which can throw off the centering in certain applications. Others were missing key tags that are a requirement for displaying the symbol (in CC for example) such as a default height/width, other symbols used a black tone for the outline that wasn't "true black" (like 0c0c0c instead of 00000). Another idea was to trim down the metadata tags in the SVG files so they were uniform and scrub any extra bytes of non-functional metadata.

I planned to create a script that would bulk update all symbols in the repository to correct these issues, but before I could say lickety split a kind gentlemen in the server found a workable solution and made a PR, so suffice to say the change was made and symbols should be much more widely compatible across use-cases now. I plan to implement this script as a command within the CLI tools provided with the repository, so any new symbols committed to the repository can be automatically checked and repaired before being ingested. (We also still need to implement a similar workflow for watermarks)

One more quick announcement, I don't think I've mentioned it before but I also develop a web service called Hexproof API (api.hexproof.io) which ingests MTG related data from a variety of sources (one of which being the mtg-vectors repository) and synthesizes the data, then serves that data via REST API endpoints. My main reason for building this was to have a unified tool that can synchronize Scryfall, MTGJSON, etc data that I'm always using for my projects, as well as post-process that data to add new fields and resources none of the other API's seem to track. One of these resources is vector symbols. The Hexproof API has an endpoint for watermark symbols at /symbols/watermark and an endpoint for expansion symbols at /symbols/set. Example endpoints:
This project is also open source, I'll post the link here soon (need to wrap up some housekeeping changes first).

Also @skibulk could you perhaps link the mtg-vectors repository in the original post of this thread for posterity? :D
https://github.com/Investigamer/mtg-vectors
Investigamer

Previous

Return to Pictures