It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:12

Text Size

Vector Set Symbols and Watermarks

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Vector Set Symbols and Watermarks

Postby gleavitt » 11 Nov 2019, 17:14

Does anyone have sources for any of the following wide-release set expansion symbols?

SS1 - Signature Spellbook: Jace
GS1 - Global Series
MED - Mythic Edition
GK1 - Guilds or Ravnica Guild Kits - Boros, Dimir, Golgari, Izzet, Selesnya
UMA - Ultimate Masters
GK2 - Ravnica Allegiance Guild Kits - Azorius, Gruul, Orzhov, Rakdos, Simic
SS2 - Signature Spellbook: Gideon
C19 - Commander 2019
ELD - Throne of Eldraine

Also looking for the promotion symbols used

GenCon - as featured on the "Incoming!" promotional card given at GenCon 1998
JSS - as featured on the "Volcanic Hammer" promotional card given at the Junior Super Series 2002

I could provide scans of any of the actual cards if that helps those with the technical skills.

Thanks so much.
gleavitt

Postby Dathorin » 13 Nov 2019, 00:12

I have a few rough drafts in the incomplete folder if you want to poke at them. I'm currently working on thorough printer friendly checklists and other databases
Dathorin

Postby Qanadhar » 06 Dec 2019, 04:53

Dathorin, love your work and greatly appreciate it.

The Game Night (2018 version I guess we should call it now) symbol is not accurate to the cards.
The original can be found on James Arnold's blog (not sure it's okay to link it here).
The edges are slightly indented and there are chevrons in the outer ring, not bubbles.

Probably doesn't matter to most, but wanted to let you know, in case it matters to you.

Thanks again, your work has made my filing system look SO much prettier. :D
Qanadhar

Postby Dathorin » 07 Dec 2019, 22:49

I strive for accuracy in all symbols so TY for pointing this out, but I can only take credit for several symbols and a lot of code reduction

I will take a look at this symbol though and see what I can do.

Edit: I have corrected the shape and gradient and I think it turned out pretty well. Old files have been moved to a temporary folder pending deletion if I can't find any official use of that style.
Last edited by Dathorin on 08 Dec 2019, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
Dathorin

Postby e-w-hull » 08 Dec 2019, 01:30

eld.png

This is my first attempt at making a vector like this.

Throne of Eldraine Attached. Missing the WM and 80 versions usually included in Dathorin's Dropbox but the WM appears to just be identical to the common.

EDIT: Replaced files with corrected vectors.
Attachments
ELD.zip
(16.9 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Last edited by e-w-hull on 08 Dec 2019, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
e-w-hull

Postby Dathorin » 08 Dec 2019, 04:41

e-w-hull wrote:This is my first attempt at making a vector like this.

Throne of Eldraine Attached. Missing the WM and 80 versions usually included in Dathorin's Dropbox but the WM appears to just be identical to the common.
Just looking at the M.svg it's not bad, but it still has some minor issues:

- A horizontal flip shows that the outside border it is not a mirror image (inside is good)
- The top is cut off (It is also cut off on http://www.thatguyjames.net/#/xsym/ - but it isn't on the cards
- The gradient on the crown and sword isn't yellow enough in the middle
- The gradient on the tabard isn't red enough on the inner portions

Reference to my notes for the colors I use, the gradient offset will vary from symbol to symbol.
Most of the watermark versions (excluding A25 remasters) are just the path for the white areas removed so that it becomes transparent.
Dathorin

Postby e-w-hull » 08 Dec 2019, 18:55

Dathorin wrote:- A horizontal flip shows that the outside border it is not a mirror image (inside is good)
- The top is cut off (It is also cut off on http www thatguyjames net - but it isn't on the cards)
- The gradient on the crown and sword isn't yellow enough in the middle
- The gradient on the tabard isn't red enough on the inner portions
Thanks for the feedback. I did use your Notes.odt for all the colors and found it invaluable, so thank you for that as well. I did have to toy with the stop offset for the both objects though, to get the darker color to start earlier on the tabard and the lighter color to have a shorter duration on the Sword/Crown. I've also fixed the mirroring in consistency and the top of the image being cut off.

Rather than create a second post, I edited my original and replaced the files there. Let me know if that fixes the issues. I'm going to try my hand at C19, UMA, Theros BD, Ikoria, and Zendikar Rising as well.
e-w-hull

Postby Dathorin » 08 Dec 2019, 20:23

That is a lot better, good job. I did tweak the gradients a bit though to 0, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1 in the crown/shield and 0, 0.2, 0.3, 0.7, 0.8, 1 (6 stops instead of 5 so that the red can begin further from the center and end sooner) within the tabard; This more closely matches the sample on James Arnold's blog. I also just noticed that James doesn't seem to use the more yellow scheme he seems to be closer toward #F4A51F as his brightest shade

I put this M.svg in the main folder for further review and suggestions.
Dathorin

Postby e-w-hull » 08 Dec 2019, 20:51

Dathorin wrote:I also just noticed that James doesn't seem to use the more yellow scheme he seems to be closer toward #F4A51F as his brightest shade
I noticed that as well when making the Eldraine symbols which was why my initial post had the different center color for the Sword/Crown. The color difference seems to be consistent with how James' has the newer symbols (C19-Zendikar Rising) that the center is closer to #F4A51F than the #F6B91D.

I've finished C19 (U, R, M) and THB (All) using the coloring from your Notes file on all of them.

Regarding C19's common, I can't figure out how it is actually supposed to look to save my life. I've created an attempt that uses a black stroke around the center sash (which seems to be close to how Scryfall have their mono color symbol) but it doesn't look quite right.

I can post C19 and THB if you'd like to include them in your review file.
e-w-hull

Postby Dathorin » 08 Dec 2019, 21:16

Oh please do whenever you feel they are ready, I haven't really been able to work on much lately so it's nice to have the assistance when I can. I personally don't like using strokes because they cut into the symbols and overlapping then make the files larger, however there is a way to reverse this in Inkscape via (Ctrl + Alt + C) then (Ctrl + Shift + K) to break the strokes into actual paths and working from there.

I'm going to start incorporating the ELD symbols into Dropbox given the updated offsets
Dathorin

Postby e-w-hull » 08 Dec 2019, 21:43

Here are the Theros and C19 vectors I mentioned above. I'm much happier with THB than C19, but the C19 symbol suits my needs ATM.

edit: I removed C19 and reposted in a later reply on this thread with a newer version that I'm much more happy with.
Attachments
THB.zip
(23.37 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Last edited by e-w-hull on 09 Jun 2021, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
e-w-hull

Postby Dathorin » 09 Dec 2019, 00:21

e-w-hull wrote:Regarding C19's common, I can't figure out how it is actually supposed to look to save my life. I've created an attempt that uses a black stroke around the center sash (which seems to be close to how Scryfall have their mono color symbol) but it doesn't look quite right.
I see what you mean it is different from rarity cards. I took the c-test and laid it over a cards symbol and eliminated the white and this is what it shows.
Screenshot 2019-12-08 19.10.29.png
Dathorin

Postby e-w-hull » 09 Dec 2019, 00:26

Dathorin wrote:I see what you mean it is different from rarity cards. I took the c-test and laid it over a cards symbol and eliminated the white and this is what it shows.
Re:C19 Common; Overlaying the C-test on a scanned card symbol was how I made it :D so I guess great mind thinks a-like. I'm still not thrilled with how it turned out though.

UMA.png

UMA Attached.

I color matched the red on this one to the red on James' blog post picture using the Inkscape Dropper. I also did the gradient at an angle and with the 2nd and 4th stops at 0.15 and 0.85 to try to get it to match as close to the image on the blog as possible.

All the other colors matched the latest Notes.odt.
Attachments
UMA.zip
(41.96 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
e-w-hull

Postby Dathorin » 11 Dec 2019, 02:32

Renamed the incomplete folder to "Missing symbols" and added a lot of examples of whats missing. This may not be all of them but I tried to be thorough.

Some may only be slightly different of symbols that are already done. Others such as A25 Portal and Portal 2 symbols are completely remastered. ODT file contains more examples as well. There are roughly 130+ missing symbols (with gradients) and watermarks. Complete list of missing A25 remasters is in the works.

I know some of these are unlikely to ever become a vector due to being too detailed

Edit: Added UMA, old Dimir, R_half in UNH (used on Fraction Jackson), Sorry watermark, Monkey Monkey Monkey watermark, My First Tome watermark, Grand Prix watermark, another CSP and CHK watermark, Ponies: the Galloping watermarks, Junior Series watermark, Zendikar Rising, and 2 mixed mana to Dropbox

My Post.png

My Post (1).png
Dathorin

Postby Dathorin » 31 Dec 2019, 13:24

Added Tarkir Clans. Not perfect but the level of detail is pretty good.

My Post.png
Dathorin

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures