It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:39

Text Size

MTG Remastered Editions - HQ Pictures with Oracle wording

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

MTG Remastered Editions - HQ Pictures with Oracle wording

Postby Strainer » 18 Sep 2012, 14:05

This project is about creating updated cards with Modern Frames (possibly also old frames if I find the time), updated Oracle wording and highest possible quality.

Alright, after switching the engine to HQ Proxy Generator I am finally able to present some results.

I decided to use Dropbox for my uploads, that means that sets will slowly but steadily uploaded (the zip file are all in the Dropbox folder)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9u7q0owijb1bu13/PcMHvHHPGI

I hope you enjoy these cards, pleae leave feedback if you download them.

Here is a quick list of known problems:
  • Split Cards are not supported yet (will come with the next update)
  • Planeswalkers look terrible due to bad crops
  • Rarity information on old sets doesn't include rares (all the cards are common or uncommon, this is true for Arabian Nights, Antiquities, The Dark, Fallen Empires and Homelands)
  • Short card texts aren't centered as usual in MTG (take 7th Edition Counterspell as an example)

Thanks for your time, have fun.

Edit: As a little teaser, here are some cards for you to get an idea of how they look:
Core Sets
| Open
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Expert Sets
| Open
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Strainer on 25 Sep 2012, 18:50, edited 5 times in total.
Strainer

Re: MTG Remastered Editions - HQ Pictures with Oracle wordin

Postby extreme » 18 Sep 2012, 15:25

nice idea, but MSE's output doesn't look at all like a real card. Templates aren't very good, borders are too thick, corners too small, mana symbols too big, some text too big and wrongly positioned, and let's not talk about the set symbols.
I can help you with correct backgrounds templates, and I know there's a thread here somewhere where somebody creates great set symbols.
That is, if you can modify MSE.
SCANNING HOW-TO: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=451
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby deurk » 18 Sep 2012, 16:06

Same here, I'd be willing to put time and effort helping if cards look better and had a way to be easily imported from a custom script or so (just in case some wording would change, I don't want to have to go modify everything I've done by hand, one entry at a time).

Also, I'd only help if there was a way to handle several languages, as I would want my proxies to be in French for example.

Will keep an eye on this thread in the meantime ;)
deurk

Postby Strainer » 18 Sep 2012, 16:20

Thanks for your insight extreme, good to know these things.
As far as I can see, modifications to the template wouldn't really affect the actual set files, templates can be changed on the fly. As such, the set files with the hightes quality crops would still be useable with a higher quality template without problems.
The question is which should be the first thing to finish, the better template or the sets and cards.
I will have to read into how to modify the templates, haven't done so just yet.
Strainer

Postby Strainer » 18 Sep 2012, 17:39

As for the importing of sets, as soon as the set is done you can easily Search&Replace changes. (For example, replacing comes into play with enters the battlefield)

As for the multilanguage, saving the files in a "SetNameFR.mse-set" style should do the trick.

Finished Tempest HQ now, enough for today. ;)
Strainer

Postby silentscope » 20 Sep 2012, 16:03

I already been doing something similar to this on a limited basis, and if some time opens up I will probably submit a few undone sets.

In terms of templates, perhaps the "improved" template should also use thin borders so that the finished cards end up looking like the CCGHQ fulls (except all in modern frames and oracle text). That way users can intermix these with scans without any sizing discrepancies.
silentscope

Postby extreme » 21 Sep 2012, 09:28

gwar's template is almost perfect, it has very good card templates, I'm kinda pleasantly surprised to see the pre-8th borders are mine. Still it has problems, the most important being the very size and length/width ratio of the card (it's different for pre 8th and post 8th!), and a few small things - size of the paintbrush, of the copyright text, spacing of the italics text...
If there is interest, I could help with this.
SCANNING HOW-TO: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=451
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby North » 21 Sep 2012, 10:36

If the output file from MagicSetEditor is a text format then a script can be easily created. All this manual work isn't necessary. If anyone could send me example files, I could look into modifying a script of mine to generate those cards (not the images but the file that is used to generate it).

There is a HQ Card generator here that one can use and there is no manual work involved. For old sets, one only needs to change the generator to use the new frames. Here you go: http://www.slightlymagic.net/hqpics/4-mtg/13-hqcg

Honestly, if I were you, I would use HQCG.
North
DEVELOPER

Postby deurk » 21 Sep 2012, 16:10

extreme wrote:gwar's template is almost perfect, it has very good card templates, I'm kinda pleasantly surprised to see the pre-8th borders are mine. Still it has problems, the most important being the very size and length/width ratio of the card (it's different for pre 8th and post 8th!), and a few small things - size of the paintbrush, of the copyright text, spacing of the italics text...
If there is interest, I could help with this.
*raises hand to approve motion* ;)
deurk

Postby Strainer » 23 Sep 2012, 02:42

I'm using HQ Card generator now, it is an awesome program.

Would love to see your help on there, thx extreme.

Just to give you guys an update: Pretty much all of the Sets are done by now. The big task is to get them all packed and on Mediafire.

As soon as a significant amount is up, I'm gonna release the link.

As a side note, I also thought about making a "Classic" set, meaning I could render all the new designed cards in old design (I'm sure someone out there would like that, I prefer the modern frame in the meantime and have used it for everything except TSB. It can't of seemed off there.)

As a general feedback on the HQ Card Generator (I use gwars for that), I only had 2 problems so far:

• It would be great if the program could center short texts (like Counterspell's text f.e.)
  • Planeswalkers look awful, probably due to the bad crops.
  • Split cards also seem to have no real cropped images and as such, don't get rendered properly. Also, their card info seems to be wrong in some way writing all text on one side of the split card.

On the good side, I was able to create my own crops of the sets that were missing in HQ, and therefore no set will be left undone.
Strainer

Postby deurk » 23 Sep 2012, 08:18

Strainer wrote:The big task is to get them all packed and on Mediafire.
How about an FTP server you could upload them to so that I can host them?
deurk

Postby Strainer » 23 Sep 2012, 10:30

Sure I can upload them on an FTP server, problem is I personally don't have one available.

Edit: Mediafire is really slow on the upload, and as I have read about the problems others have had with it, I will use my Dropbox for the uploads now. Could take some time with only 50kb upload though. :roll:
Strainer

Postby satsuki » 07 Oct 2012, 14:13

I would be realy interested in generating the whole magic set in french.
I already have the art file (medium quality) all i need is an up to date french card database and i could generate and upload the HD french cards.

Is there any way to extract the oracle database in french ? (does it even exist ?)

thanks
satsuki

Postby deurk » 07 Oct 2012, 19:05

That makes 2 of us. Gatherer downloader does it but we need a script to convert its output to HQCG...
deurk

Postby satsuki » 07 Oct 2012, 19:42

ok i'll try this software and try to make a conversion software ^^
satsuki

Next

Return to Pictures