9%
Yes, I like it
30%
Awesome thing!
13%

Total votes : 23

Re: New forum theme

Postby Huggybaby » 10 Jun 2009, 15:39

It's not baby blue, so I like it. I think whatever needs to be improved can be improved in the coming days. I'm not surprised the poll right now has so many votes for the old theme, polls frequently start out in favor of what people are used to and against change. It's 50/50 right now, not bad.

The top should read Computer Card Games HQ, not Collectible Card Games HQ. That's because Collectible is too narrow a term, it defines what we do now perhaps but not what we want to be. There's nothing stopping us from doing rummy or poker or cribbage for example.

Since we have a miniatures board game here now, I'm wondering if even the term Card Game is too narrow, but I hate to change it again.

I like the main and user menus on the side, that's easier to use than on the bottom. I agree with extreme that we
should really have the new/unvisited threads show up in a different color, they all show up in black now, only the icon looks a little bit different (but it's not visible enough).
The biggest weakness with the old theme was that new post icons were all but indistinguishable, likewise stickied topics, and now it's worse. Can we get some bright, animated icons? I have to look at the post date now to see what's new.

I agree with extreme and Mahamoti that the forum is too narrow, it throws off all our screenshots---again. At MWSData we had lots of width, then the move here narrowed everything, and now its even more narrow.

<edit> I just noticed that when you hover over a forum or a topic, it will say "New Posts" or "No New Posts", that's quite cool.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Kl3p_co. » 10 Jun 2009, 15:53

I pretty like the new thing, but the read and unread icons are imho too undifferenced, I liked better the red flashing than bold flashing :-/
Tho I didnt play with the styles, maybe I can set it somewhere, but besides that, it is really cool :-)
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

Postby Huggybaby » 10 Jun 2009, 15:58

In the forums, user names are all red (bad). In the topics, name colors are OK.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Goblin Hero » 10 Jun 2009, 16:11

Huggybaby wrote:The top should read Computer Card Games HQ, not Collectible Card Games HQ.
I hate to change it again.
I think we shoud discuss it.
Huggybaby wrote:should really have the new/unvisited threads show up in a different color
Agreed. I don't like it also.
Huggybaby wrote:the forum is too narrow
May be, but believe me, standart skin looks too wide on my 1920x1200 monitor. We'll see... At least now I have a good theme to tweak and improve.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Huggybaby » 10 Jun 2009, 17:06

Goblin Hero wrote:
Huggybaby wrote:The top should read Computer Card Games HQ, not Collectible Card Games HQ.
I hate to change it again.
I think we shoud discuss it.
Maybe another poll? Anyway, why didn't you tell me a long time ago? I have lots of uploads with readme files with the Computer name in them.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Goblin Hero » 10 Jun 2009, 17:22

Huggybaby wrote:Anyway, why didn't you tell me a long time ago?
It is funny, but I've always thought CCGHQ = Collectible CGHQ. It was you who've changed forum title :)
Huggybaby wrote:Maybe another poll?
Lets create a topic for discussing.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SEE » 10 Jun 2009, 17:39

If I want a web page narrower than my 1900×1200 screen, I make my browser window narrower than the whole screen. Otherwise, I want it to take up the full width; that's why my window is as wide as it is.

Similarly, when I do make my browser window narrower (say, using Windows's "show windows side by side" feature), I want the web page to adjust to that instead of hiding content off the edge of the window.

On both those counts, this theme fails miserably.
SEE

Postby GandoTheBard » 10 Jun 2009, 18:02

I'm guessing the Voting is closed but if you are still reading this thread for feedback, I preferred the old look not simply because of its design (which was generic for sure) but because it was functional. This one seems uglier and less functional from a UI standpoint. Of course style is a matter of opinion and the only one that counts is the implementors but if your opinion can be influenced by outside forces, I am hoping you consider this.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby extreme » 10 Jun 2009, 18:13

It is funny, but I've always thought CCGHQ = Collectible CGHQ. It was you who've changed forum title :)
i thought it meant collectible too :))

and see's point is very good.
SCANNING HOW-TO: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=451
extreme
HQ Team Member

Postby Bog Wraith » 10 Jun 2009, 18:23

From a UI point of view, it will take time getting used to, but it is generally easier to use.

However, as others have mentioned, the big draw back for me is the difficulty in quickly seeing which threads have new posts in them. The black or blue writing in the icons just doesn't cut it!

As Huggy mentioned, the 50/50 split for this, so early on is a good sign. Heck, when I first saw the site today, I was totally discombobulated and I didn't like it at first. I'm warming to it now and if we can address the new post icon problem and some of the other things that have been mentioned, I think that this will work out well.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby MageKing17 » 10 Jun 2009, 19:42

I quite like the new theme. It takes a bit of getting used to, but not much. All the buttons you need are still there, just somewhere else, and the new look is much more interesting.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Huggybaby » 11 Jun 2009, 01:08

I think the new posts icons can be made more visible at some point. I'm using the View new posts menu now, and realize that's what I do on other forums too. So, that just leaves the narrowness issue for me.

The old theme had a few nice things from the usability standpoint, but I hated the look and I'm glad it's gone.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 11 Jun 2009, 04:34

The user preferences have an option for the theme. The only choice is this garbage. Why not allow both choices to be used, plus any others anyone seems to like?
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby Goblin Hero » 11 Jun 2009, 06:48

I've managed to make style variable width. Tested only in Opera, so tell me if something's wrong in another browser.
Edit: Made a fix for images. What do you think?
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kl3p_co. » 11 Jun 2009, 10:48

Now it's great, the forum is wide also on my 1920x1200 display and the read/unread threads are greatly distinguished :)
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion