It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:05

Text Size

Mana Pool rules...

Discuss anything concerning this site and its contents

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Mana Pool rules...

Postby Scratchy78 » 26 Aug 2009, 12:46

Hi, my name is Scratchy. I've been playing MtG off and on for a number of years, but recently a friend of mine said friends of his taught him how to play using 'Mana Pool Rules'. I've Googled it, read various pages, can't find anything explaining this. Can someone please explain to me this rules variation called 'Mana Pool'. My buddy said its something like you draw until you have no more land in your hand, it gets all your land out quickly... I didn't fully understand. So if anyone can explain this to me, please do. Also, please reply to my email Stinger1118@aol.com or my MySpace. Scratchy78@myspace.com One other thing, if anyone is interested, I'm selling most of my collection. Again, email me, and I can send you a list of my rares and uncommons. Thanks.
Scratchy78

Re: Mana Pool rules...

Postby Kl3p_co. » 26 Aug 2009, 14:13

If you draw till you dont have any land in your hand and you play them quickly I have a deck for you:

59x mountain
1x Banefire

Enjoy :D
/sory, but mtg with rules like this is really cocked up/
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 27 Aug 2009, 14:01

I've never heard of that variant, but I have heard of a variant where you have an infinite mana supply (of all colors) and can only play one spell per turn. However, all X spells (although you could probably allow any X spells with Sunburst) are banned. So no Banefires... But it does let you play things like the ultimatums, nicol bolas, planeswalker and other cards you'd never play if you want to win
I like being bad... it makes me happy...
staggerwingjtstw

Postby Clefaria » 29 Aug 2009, 18:09

I would have never remembered if you didn't start this topic, but I HAVE played like this before...right around the time I was taught how to play. It's a goofy variant that's really abusable, so I wouldn't recommend it.

All it means is that all the lands in your starting hand are played instantly, and then you draw until you have a hand of 7 with no lands in it. Then the game progresses normally.

MWS bundle is DISCONTINUED, current only through M12
My (old) MWS bundle
Clefaria

Postby Nyth » 05 Nov 2009, 07:36

Actually, you play without lands to make the deck building even easier and play cards as if you had the mana required to play them. Infinite combos using X mana costs are banned as well as some other types of play. For more info just search up Type three, four or five (III, IV, V) as it is named one of those. Can't remember for the life of me which one it is.
Nyth
HQ Team Member

Postby Clefaria » 05 Nov 2009, 12:26

Nyth wrote:Actually, you play without lands to make the deck building even easier and play cards as if you had the mana required to play them.
It's barely even a game at that point. Imagine playing Hypnox on the first turn.

MWS bundle is DISCONTINUED, current only through M12
My (old) MWS bundle
Clefaria

Postby Nyth » 05 Nov 2009, 13:06

Turns out it was Type 4.

Type 3 is Type 2 without Rares or Affordable Standard.

Type 4 is Limited Infinity.

For more info:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/198
http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/10197_Type_4_A_Way_To_Enjoy_Magic_Again_Part_I.html

And yes, Hypnox can be played but since the game is all about overpowered it will actually not be truly broken. Check out the decklist on the Wizards article above and you'll see they were quite happy playing it.
Nyth
HQ Team Member

Postby Scratchy78 » 18 Nov 2009, 15:28

Right on, thank you everybody for your replies. It's been a while since I've checked this post, but I appreciate all the replies/help. Take care.

Scratchy Stinger1118@aol.com
Scratchy78

Return to General Discussion