It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:03

Text Size

"Ancient Times" - New RPG Project

Discuss anything concerning this site and its contents

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: "Ancient Times" - New RPG Project

Postby jerichopumpkin » 26 Oct 2017, 14:10

I can give you some thoughts on Path of Exile having played it for a while.
On the surface, the game is more or less Diablo II, you only have some extra skills to cast from keyboard.
But it is not, there are huge differences.
First of all, you only have 3 attributes (Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence), where each pumps some aspects of your character (Str gives life, armor and melee damage, Dex pumps Evasion, critical strike and ranged damage, Int is for mana, spell damage and whatever). Still similar.
Then you get to the classes: the class you choose only tells you which attributes are relevant for you and where you start on the huge passive skill tree (see Final Fantasy X for a similar skill system). On level up you get a point to spend on the passive skill tree and you have literally tons of options.
Finally, you got weapons and active skills. Remember the socket system from Diablo II? Well, here you have Final Fantasy VII materia system. You have 3 colors of gems (corresponding to STR, DEX and INT), and each gem gives you an active skill (offensive or defensive). Some gems give you a boost to gems placed in a linked socket (again as materias in FFVII). Note that here the sockets are also coloured and items with the highest number of sockets and links are very rare.
The last good thing is no gold. There is no currency in game, or to better put it, items are the currency, where the basic item is the identify scroll. You then have a vast array of item that intercats with various aspects of the game (an item to make a common item magical, an item to add a magical property to an already magical item, and so on).
On paper, it was really good. Playing at first was really fun. Then you approach the highest levels and it all vanishes in an unending farming and doing the merchant to get what you need, because it's more simple to farm 5000 currency items and buy from another player that damned legendary bow than obtaining it from the drop. And beleive me, if you don't have a build ready (and that requires 3-4 legendaries) you simply can stop playing, because you won't be able to go on, but what is behind you is too weak to help you progress.

Sorry for the long post, I needed to get free from this one for quite some time
jerichopumpkin

Postby Draggamor » 26 Oct 2017, 19:34

Thanks for the input jerichopumpkin. Don't worry about short/long posts. Sometimes I also have difficulty in saying a lot in short words.

I remember a friend once told me about that game, which I later tried. I didn't liked it much so I just played until 2 or 3 character levels. For one, because, I found it too simple in character terms; two, I really don't like linear story-lines and during those first levels I felt that it is that; and three, I can't tell about late-game, but in the early levels it looks like we spend a lot more time moving from point A to B than actually roll-playing.

Taste are just that, each of us have ours. I wouldn't classify Path of Exile a rival or competitor brand. What I devise doesn't resemble almost anything. Which means there's something liked about it: the graphics are quite simple which makes it a game that runs in most machines.
Draggamor

Postby Draggamor » 29 Oct 2017, 09:54

werkbau wrote:What do you have to offer that any generic ... MMO doesn't?
I've seen quite a few MMO's, and there are still tons of them to see them all. But from I've seen so far, none of them has the option of soloing quests in strategic pausing mode. I said 'option' it means those quests can be played in either way.

With some changes, it might be also doable in multiplayer.

The game view can also change, zooming in and out, from a standard first-person or third-person view to a top isometric-view, to better making game choices in strategic mode.
Draggamor

Postby Draggamor » 01 Nov 2017, 08:57

My thought about the main Stats:

Strength
Agility
Dexterity
Perception
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Devotion
Charisma
Luck
Draggamor

Postby Draggamor » 01 Nov 2017, 14:36

The Races and their Civilizations (most real, some fantasy):

Humans: Abe, Akkadia, Aleut, Algonquin, Amazon, Angle, Arabia, Assyria, Athabaska, Athens, Axum, Aztec, Babylonia, Benin, Britannia, Byzantium, Carthage, Celt, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Chickasaw, Chinese, Choctaw, Comanche, Corinth, Creek, Cumania, Egypt, Ethiopia, Francia, Fujiwara, Gaulia, Germania, Ghana, Greece, Gypsya, Han, Hopi, Iberia, India, Inuit, Iroquois, Khwarizmi, Kofun, Kongo, Korea, Kush, Liguria, Macedonia, Magyar, Mali, Maya, Minamoto, Minos, Mongol, Mycenae, Nara, Nok, Normand, Numidia, Ottoman, Penutia, Persia, Pictia, Pomerania, Punt, Rome, Rus, Salish, Saxon, Scottia, Seminole, Siberia, Sioux, Slavia, Soga, Songhai, Sparta, Syria, Taira, Thebes, Tsimshia, Turkey, Viking, Visigoth, Wakashan, Yamato, Yaqui, Yayoi, Yuma, Zimbabwe, Zulu, and Zuni (Did I miss any? :));

Elves: Dark Elves, Desert Elves, Mountain Elves, River Elves, White Elves, and Wood elves;

Dwarfs: Cave Dwarfs, Dark Dwarfs, Forest Dwarfs, Mountain Dwarfs, and Snow Dwarfs;

Gnomes: Grey Gnomes and Dark Gnomes;

Halflings: Halflings and Stone Halflings;

Half-Dogs: Furries, Hyenas, and Prairie Dogs;

Goblins: Black Goblins, Blue Goblins, Green Goblins, Hobgoblins, Jungle Goblins, Red Goblins, and White Goblins;

Orcs: Black Orcs, Cave Orcs, Forest Orcs, Mountain Orcs, Snow Orcs, and Swamp Orcs ;

Lizard-Men: Black Lizard-Men, Brown Lizard-Men, Green Lizard-Men, Green Lizard-Men, Red Lizard-Men, and White Lizard-Men;

The names in italic and underscore are names that are waiting for proper name attribution. Suggestions are welcome! And yes! Lots of choices to play with! Reality meets fantasy.
Draggamor

Previous

Return to General Discussion