It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:46

Text Size

Thanks for a inspiration.

Discuss anything concerning this site and its contents

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Thanks for a inspiration.

Postby kiplring » 16 Feb 2010, 05:29

I made an iPhone applicaton inspired by this site.

My first thought was "There are high quality card images. Just a shuffling function is enough to play a game."

Thanks ccg team.

Best regards.

It is a tutorial of my application. You can check the application using your scanned images http://www.scribd.com/doc/26635462
kiplring

Re: Thanks for a inspiration.

Postby Huggybaby » 16 Feb 2010, 06:14

Thank you, and welcome.

That's a really cool looking app you have there, but are you really calling it Wagic? The name was taken a long time ago: viewforum.php?f=47

To avoid confusion you should change it.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby kiplring » 16 Feb 2010, 10:46

Huggybaby wrote:The name was taken a long time ago: viewforum.php?f=47
To avoid confusion you should change it.
In fact, I hit the name but I found out that name has been used for psp homebrew game after.
"Turn M to W" to escape the copyright problem. It's a simple idea.

I will wait until the "Wagic" - converted from psp - is uploaded at appstore. After that I'll talk with that wagic developer to get out of confusion problem.

It's not a easy problem because my application is sold to hundreds of people and I don't want to let them down. If I rename and re-upload the application, they have to pay for the update. Maybe application title shown in appstore or descript in appstore can be changed for my blink of thought.

I hope the psp version of "Wagic" to be shown in appstore in a sort time.
kiplring

Postby Huggybaby » 16 Feb 2010, 12:54

I don't think frwololo's Wagic will ever be in the app store due to WOTC copyright issues. The name Magic is not the only part of the problem, you have the images, the symbols, the terminology, even the act of turning the card sideways to tap it is copyrighted or patented. If you're selling it then congratulations and good luck! No one here can begrudge you that and we wish you only the best. I'm sure there will be questions for you from the other developers too, because I think you're breaking new ground.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby kiplring » 17 Feb 2010, 22:32

Huggybaby wrote:you have the images, the symbols, the terminology, even the act of turning the card sideways to tap it is copyrighted or patented
My wagic has no images, no symbols, no terminology, and no "TAP". Images can be added from web or user photo library. Symbols doesn't exist. My application has a function to view images in horizontal & vertical ways. Also, the most important component of MTG is the rule of it. And my wagic doesn't support any RULE.

What my application support is loading images, making them into a file, shufflingg it, pick and draw a image out of file, some kinds of fields to displace cards. In fact it is not only for MTG. Sometimes I exhibit my concept of project with my application.

And the most important thing is what I believe. What I believe is my application doesn't steal any profit from WOTC. My application is for old timer of MTG who want to rejoin the battlefield but hesitating with enormous number of cards. I don't think my application can be replacement the joy of playing real MTG with bros. If it is, and WOTC warn me not to do with deep thought, I'm always ready to stop selling it or something more than that.
kiplring

Postby Huggybaby » 17 Feb 2010, 22:45

OK, that sounds fantastic. I've wondered a long time why someone didn't make an app that basically allows players to simply move images around, and it sounds like you've done it. So I could play poker or any game with your app then.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Jorbes » 18 Feb 2010, 15:37

Huggybaby wrote:OK, that sounds fantastic. I've wondered a long time why someone didn't make an app that basically allows players to simply move images around, and it sounds like you've done it. So I could play poker or any game with your app then.
Because people always want more!

You could create a program that loads images and throws them on a blank canvas for anyone to move around.

But then a user asks: Does it support limited / multiplayer / phases / attacking / etc etc? The answer is no and they walk away :)
Jorbes
DEVELOPER

Postby kiplring » 20 Feb 2010, 11:40

Jorbes wrote:Because people always want more!
The answer is no and they walk away :)
You hit the point. In fact, I'm very satisfied with my humble application and spend an hour with it whenever new decks comes up. But the number of copy downloaded is dropping down to zero.
kiplring

Postby frwololo » 25 Mar 2010, 02:26

Just so this thread so I thought I'd drop by.

Your app looks cool and it's too bad we share the name for such similar applications, which leads to confusion, but hey, as long as you don't play with the confusion to sell more copies I don't mind, it's not like I own that name or anything.

Good luck with your app, I think making money on the appstore with a good application is much more difficult than making money with hundreds of crappy apps, that's how the appstore works :(

Wagic (the non-iphone version) will never make it to the appstore because we are using the rules of MTG, which are protected in the US by a patent. Since the appstore's main market is the US, this would never make it there.
The only reason it exists now is because we are not targeting the US specifically. Which would be different with an iphone app.

That and I don't own a mac or any apple product. :lol:
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby simonmathew » 26 Jan 2011, 07:13

Thanks to the team. I get some useful tips and help. Keep it up guys!!
simonmathew

Return to General Discussion