It is currently 08 May 2024, 13:27

Text Size

Free to use TCG

Discuss anything concerning this site and its contents

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Free to use TCG

Postby mtgrares » 22 Apr 2010, 19:31

I would love to code something similar to Magic Online, rules enforcement and player versus player. Of course I need something to program. Is there a free version of a trading card game that I could use?

To further complicate things I would like to charge $5 or $10 a month for the service. Each player would have access to all of the cards.

I would love to use existing rules for a game that has been discontinued like dot hack or VS but I'm not sure that is legal or not. Maybe I could use the rules and create new cards?

I doubt such a TCG exists but I figured I would ask and keep my fingers (and toes) crossed. :D

p.s.
Theoretically if someone has written their own TCG with at least 100 cards and they wouldn't mind if I used it, that would be good also.
Last edited by mtgrares on 22 Apr 2010, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Free to use TCG

Postby MageKing17 » 22 Apr 2010, 19:41

I do have some half-finished TCG ideas, but I'd much rather sell them myself, if I ever got around to finishing them. ;P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 22 Apr 2010, 19:45

I understand that. Hey if designing a TCG was easy, everybody would do it. (Including me.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby LittleCodingFox » 23 Apr 2010, 22:27

I actually started working on something like that today. I'm writing a "clone" of MTG in C++/SFML/OpenGL, which won't use MTG content, and i'll integrate a web backend on it so you can e.g., earn boosters when battling and such. I was just browsing the forums to search for tips and tricks regarding rules enforcement when i found this thread.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that i'm emulating the 3D version of MTG like Duels of the Planeswalkers on the 360.
LittleCodingFox

Postby Incantus » 24 Apr 2010, 03:34

If you are starting from scratch, I would recommend prototyping your ideas in a higher level language like python or ruby. Otherwise once you get started in C++ you'll likely back your design into a corner and not want to start over. And believe me, you'll have to toss out and start your design over a few times (unless you manage to completely understand and design for the comprehensive rules).
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby LittleCodingFox » 24 Apr 2010, 10:00

That won't be much of a problem, i've been working on game development with C++ for 7 years or so, and i'm reusing some parts of my other current project to speed up development.
LittleCodingFox

Postby frwololo » 24 Jun 2010, 02:10

forge, You should have a look at the patent owned by WotC regarding "any game that has a pool of units you can choose from in order to create a deck" before you try to work on your own commercial project. You might end up getting sued if your game remotely looks like a TCG...

Also I think its weird you talk about charging a monthly fee before you even have a concept... we'd all be happy to make a living out of our passions, but I think you got the order wrong :P
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Return to General Discussion