It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:52

Text Size

Idea of deck stat tool - need feedback

Discuss anything concerning this site and its contents

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Idea of deck stat tool - need feedback

Postby rjp14 » 23 Sep 2010, 14:08

I understand what your saying. And I was only using that to explain what I was getting at.

Regardless of whether or not you need to deal with priorities (which is all the time). There is always an underlying theme to every deck. A synergy of sorts. What I'm attempting to do is to allow the user to see these synergies in a plain way. So they can see how early or at what point in a game they can use/setup for them. To give them an idea if they are even feasible. (Having a general idea if your deck plays a long or short game and deciding if this works for it) And to see the many different ways they can setup for these synergies. And after what turn these synergies are even possible. In reality it'll rarely work out as you plan it. But some of the best decks have figured synergies out that take place before even the other player has a chance to affect them. (Doing crazy things on turn 3.)

However, doing some advanced work and seeing how you can play into your decks strengths can never hurt and removes some of magics randomness. Nothing in Magic (or life for that matter) is set in stone. However by doing some planning ahead and learning the ways your cards can interact with one another you'll have a better chance at dealing with the unknown.

Hope this clarifies where I'm trying to go with this.
rjp14

Postby Kl3p_co. » 25 Sep 2010, 06:31

The only way, to see if the underlying theme, or the synergies of the deck work, is to playtest the deck against living opponents, there's no way around it. What's more, you don't usually figure the synergy between the cards after you build the deck, but you build a deck with the idea in your head already, so you should already know the way your cards in your deck interact with each other.
Yes now I think I know what you're trying to do - but it's unnecessary. All decent players solve the problem by just testing their decks like mad, because in any way, you will have to do it in a certain point of time. Theorycrafting and statistics is one thing, but how the deck actually plays out in a tier 1 deck field is a completely different story.
Always outnumbered. Never outtrolled.
Kl3p_co.

Postby Huggybaby » 25 Sep 2010, 20:21

Nevertheless, you don't always have someone with which to playtest, and the need for various analysis tools still exists.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby rjp14 » 26 Sep 2010, 04:34

I'm not saying that deck testing isn't important because I know it is. There is nothing quite like having the cards in your hands and playing against a live person. But you don't always have that luxury. (Spare time at work for instance.)

What I'm trying to do is give the user the ability to:

- Look at decks in MA when they don't have access to their cards. (At work)

- The ability to come up with ideas on how a deck may work without ever going through their cards and putting it together. (Why bother building a deck with cards if you can quickly see that the deck is flawed)

- Efficiency: Knowing your decks plays, setups, how many turns they take and how early they can be used.

What it won't be able to do:

- It won't consider the moves of an opponent (unless something was added where you could play solo game with 2 decks - Which to be honest I find annoying, slow and not really much fun)

- It won't play like a genuine game of magic (Its not meant to).

I'm not going to say that my idea is perfect, that's why I'm asking for more feedback for it. What I'm trying to do is to come up with a reasonable way that will make it work or even coming at it in a different way. I would not have presented this idea if I didn't see value in it.

Instead of looking at the idea and saying it's worthless, it will never work. See the good that is in the idea and take that and see if it can't be improved upon. The whole point of this is to come up with new ways of looking at magic decks.

It's also the users choice as to whether or not they want to use the ideas or tools presented to them. No one is forcing the users to use any of them. They are just there if anyone wants to use them or sees some kind of value in them.
rjp14

Postby gaddlord » 06 Jan 2012, 07:11

Huggybaby wrote:This would be helpful as part of an analysis suite. I've been waiting for a comprehensive, dedicated deck analyzer for a long time. After all, the only app I know of that does a Baxter analysis is MWS, and there must be other equally helpful ways to look at a deck.
This post inspired me to add George Baxter's analysis to MTG Studio as shown below:

More on the topic at http://www.mtgstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3842

So it is not just MWS any more :)
http://www.mtgstudio.com
The Magic Deck and Collection Editor
gaddlord
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 06 Jan 2012, 18:15

Awesome, thank you gaddlord!

Now, where did you find the rules so that it was even possible?
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Goblin Hero » 24 Jan 2012, 07:12

Huggybaby wrote:Now, where did you find the rules so that it was even possible?
I'm interested in it too.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cyw » 10 Nov 2012, 02:17

show you a turn break down that gives you a percentage based break down of how many lands are to be expected.
cyw

Previous

Return to General Discussion