It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:56

Text Size

Looking for historical decks

Discuss anything concerning this site and its contents

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Looking for historical decks

Postby RumbleBBU » 31 Dec 2012, 06:57

I am currently implementing a 'Quest Worlds' feature extension to the Quest game mode in Forge. The basic idea is that a 'world' limits the quest environment to particular historical sets. For example, you could build a world where the environment is 1998 Standard. When you play that world, all your booster rewards will come from those sets.

The core functionality, as well as the code for 'travelling' from a world to another, has already been implemented. Now here comes the tough part: obviously, your Quest opponents would also need to use decks that are valid for the given world. The absolute minimum would be 3 'easy' opponent decks, 3 'medium' opponent decks, 3 'hard' opponent decks, and 1 'very hard' opponent deck. And that's just the absolute minimum to make the world work - a world would be pretty boring with just 10 opponent decks, you would need many more to make it actually interesting, plus a handful of special 'challenge' decks. So, to make the '1998 Standard' world, I would need 10+ (preferably at least 20 - 30) decks that were Standard legal in 1998.

Now, since implementing a new world would take ages if I tried to think up new decks for the various eras myself, I'm looking for online sources that contain historical deck listings, like the Pro Tour / World Championship tournament deck listings per year. That would be a good start. All of them wouldn't need to be the best decks of the era, since we also need 'easy' and 'medium' decks (in fact, if you let the Forge AI play Mike Long's PT-winning ProsBloom deck from 1997, it would probably be 'easy' because the AI would have no idea how to make the combo work; it would just cast the single Drain Life as soon as it could and probably would never squander or do anything meaningful with Cadaverous Bloom). The minimum requirements are that 1) the decks (or at least their key cards) have been implemented in Forge, and 2) the AI can at least do something with the deck. (The last requirement actually might invalidate the ProsBloom deck.)

Can you suggest any sites that contain historical deck listings? Not just the winners but lots of different decks.
So far I've found the following:
- The classic Dojo: http://www.classicdojo.org/
- The Wayback archive of the latter-days Dojo: http://web.archive.org/web/200104181505 ... edojo.com/
- The Google Groups archive of rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (especially useful for 'easy' / 'medium' decks because not all decks here are particularly strong...)

I also have a couple printed magazines and books in my shelf (like The Deck Deconstruction Companion and The Official Deckbuilder's Guide), but most of these are heavily geared towards the very early years of Magic.

Can you recommend any other online sources?

So far, the only 'World' I have been able to add to Forge is 'Shandalar', which covers the sets that were legal in the original game and the same opponents - I used the deck list info found on this site and in the printed strategy guide, which I happen to own. I used the regular enemies to build the 'easy' to 'very hard' opponent decks, and the 5 Wizards and Arzakon for the 'challenge' decks.
RumbleBBU

Re: Looking for historical decks

Postby Huggybaby » 31 Dec 2012, 19:05

You might do better to start right here at CCGHQ: viewforum.php?f=36
Particularly the first post that's stickied.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Re: Looking for historical decks

Postby RumbleBBU » 01 Jan 2013, 06:09

Thanks, Huggybaby, that looks like an excellent resource and starting point!
RumbleBBU

Return to General Discussion