It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:34

Text Size

BotArena Bugs

by battlestar

Moderators: FranAvalon, Marek14, CCGHQ Admins

Re: BotArena Bugs

Postby AlexFolland » 07 Oct 2012, 12:24

FranAvalon wrote:
AlexFolland wrote:With Timber Protector on the battlefield when Wrath of God (or Day of Judgment) resolves, other Treefolk creatures I control die. Treefolk creatures I control are indestructible at the time of resolution and only Timber Protector and non-Treefolk creatures should die. This is a major issue.
I can't reproduce this bug. Indestructible ability works and affects forest and other treefolks. Could you attach the gamelog. Maybe the problem is related to another card.
It's attached. I quit the game almost immediately after it happened, so the event is near the end of the file.

By the way, the indestructibility here is working with spot removal, damage, etc. but not with board-sweepers like Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, or Damnation. Also, with 2 Timber Protectors on the battlefield, they work properly. If only 1 is on the battlefield, my Treefolk creatures die, which is wrong.
Attachments
GameLog238.txt
(19.11 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
AlexFolland

Postby FranAvalon » 07 Oct 2012, 12:36

This is a bug related to the order as cards enter the battlefield, as I said on the editing of my previous post, and as Marek saids BA doesn't work well moving multiple cards. #-o
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 07 Oct 2012, 12:56

FranAvalon wrote:
AlexFolland wrote:With Timber Protector on the battlefield when Wrath of God (or Day of Judgment) resolves, other Treefolk creatures I control die. Treefolk creatures I control are indestructible at the time of resolution and only Timber Protector and non-Treefolk creatures should die. This is a major issue.
I can't reproduce this bug. Indestructible ability works and affects forest and other treefolks. Could you attach the gamelog. Maybe the problem is related to another card.

EDIT:

I found that this works sometimes, and depends when the creatures enter into the battlefield.
If Timber protectos was the first creature to be casted, then no problem will be found, but if this is the last one, then all creatures goes to graveyard. Weird :?
It's not really weird, FranAvalon: it's probably caused by the fact that BotArena moves the cards one at a time and the ability ceases to work once Timber Protector is moved. So once it's gone, all subsequent Treefolk are no longer indestructible.

It's a major bug, but it's ingrained in the architecture.
Marek14
Tester

Postby AlexFolland » 08 Oct 2012, 16:44

Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is VERY buggy.

If I control a Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, when my opponent taps a land for mana, I get a mana of a type that land produced.

Also, its final ability is bugged. If I control a Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger and I tap a land for mana, that erroneously triggers the ability described in his third paragraph and after that resolves, said land doesn't untap during my next untap phase.
AlexFolland

Postby FranAvalon » 08 Oct 2012, 19:40

Thx, reported
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby AlexFolland » 10 Oct 2012, 16:21

Marek14 wrote:
FranAvalon wrote:

EDIT:

I found that this works sometimes, and depends when the creatures enter into the battlefield.
If Timber protectos was the first creature to be casted, then no problem will be found, but if this is the last one, then all creatures goes to graveyard. Weird :?
It's not really weird, FranAvalon: it's probably caused by the fact that BotArena moves the cards one at a time and the ability ceases to work once Timber Protector is moved. So once it's gone, all subsequent Treefolk are no longer indestructible.

It's a major bug, but it's ingrained in the architecture.
How you're describing it, it sounds like BotArena's programmed very wrongly. It sounds like BotArena checks state-based effects during the resolution of spells and updates indestructibility, etc.

I'm pretty sure mtg was designed in such a way that it would be relatively easy to code for. After each spell or ability on the stack resolves, then state-based effects are checked, not during resolution.

Why not just avoid checking state-based effects until the spell is done resolving, like is supposed to happen in the mtg rules? That would probably be a pretty simple change in the code. You'd just move the state-based effects checks from each time a card moves to each time a spell or ability is done resolving or a phase starts/ends.
AlexFolland

Postby Marek14 » 10 Oct 2012, 18:10

Alex Folland: Unfortunately, what you're talking about isn't state-based effects. You're talking about applying static effects and those ARE supposed to be applied at all times, even during resolution.

What's wrong in BotArena's programming is that it doesn't have the concept of simultaneity implemented: in real MTG all creatures would be destroyed at once, while BotArena sends them to graveyard one at a time, updating the game state in-between.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Emfatic » 13 Oct 2012, 02:13

Here are a few bugs I've run into:

1. After any annihilation effect upon my opponent, my Exotic Orchard does not produce mana anymore even though he still has land. I noticed this when the only land left over was Mutavault or Inkmoth Nexus. Edit: After thinking about it some more, I suppose Exotic Orchard is not supposed to produce colourless mana. Not a bug then.

2. After putting Rapacious One into play with Quicksilver Amulet, I got a card into my hand. There was nothing else on the battlefield that would have allowed me to draw a card.

3. When Godhead of Awe is returned to hand, the other creatures stay as 1/1. I'm not sure if this is what should happen. Should they not revert to their original power/toughness?

4. In casting Fresh Meat after a battle in which 1 of my creatures blocked and went to the graveyard, the action to put tokens into play did not show by default. However when I checked "All actions", it showed an option to put 0 tokens into play. I selected that and nothing happened immediately. At the end of my turn however, 2 beast tokens appeared. There should have only been 1. Parallel Lives was in play on the AI's side, but that shouldn't have affected me.

5. My It That Betrays took control of AI's Inkmoth Nexus. I activated it and used it to block. The Inkmoth Nexus creature died and it went into my graveyard, not the AI's as it should have.
Emfatic

Postby FranAvalon » 13 Oct 2012, 06:38

You are right with the first one. It is not a bug.
I will report the other four. However, I think that the godhead of awe is working correctly. Ive checked the gatherer rules, and i cant found that the creatures must revert to their original P/T
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 13 Oct 2012, 07:38

FranAvalon -- Godhead of Awe has a static ability and static abilities only work if the card is on the battlefield unless specified otherwise.
Marek14
Tester

Postby FranAvalon » 13 Oct 2012, 08:36

Ok, So it is bugged too #-o
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby FranAvalon » 13 Oct 2012, 08:39

Emfatic wrote:2. After putting Rapacious One into play with Quicksilver Amulet, I got a card into my hand. There was nothing else on the battlefield that would have allowed me to draw a card.
I can't reproduce it. Could you attach the gamelog. Maybe it can help to determinate what happened.
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby FranAvalon » 13 Oct 2012, 11:15

Emfatic wrote:4. In casting Fresh Meat after a battle in which 1 of my creatures blocked and went to the graveyard, the action to put tokens into play did not show by default. However when I checked "All actions", it showed an option to put 0 tokens into play. I selected that and nothing happened immediately. At the end of my turn however, 2 beast tokens appeared. There should have only been 1. Parallel Lives was in play on the AI's side, but that shouldn't have affected me.
I can't reproduce it. Could you attach this log too. Maybe some other card is causing this weird interaction.
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Emfatic » 13 Oct 2012, 18:13

FranAvalon wrote:
Emfatic wrote:4. In casting Fresh Meat after a battle in which 1 of my creatures blocked and went to the graveyard, the action to put tokens into play did not show by default. However when I checked "All actions", it showed an option to put 0 tokens into play. I selected that and nothing happened immediately. At the end of my turn however, 2 beast tokens appeared. There should have only been 1. Parallel Lives was in play on the AI's side, but that shouldn't have affected me.
I can't reproduce it. Could you attach this log too. Maybe some other card is causing this weird interaction.
Here's the game log. See turn 8.
Attachments
GameLog270.txt
(53.25 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Emfatic

Postby Emfatic » 13 Oct 2012, 18:47

FranAvalon wrote:
Emfatic wrote:2. After putting Rapacious One into play with Quicksilver Amulet, I got a card into my hand. There was nothing else on the battlefield that would have allowed me to draw a card.
I can't reproduce it. Could you attach the gamelog. Maybe it can help to determinate what happened.
Examining the gamelog is new to me and excellent. I know now to do this before logging bugs. As for this "issue", the log shows I activated Quicksilver Amulet during my upkeep phase and therefore immediately afterwards, during my draw phase, drew a card, so it's not a bug. Just an oversight. :)
Emfatic

PreviousNext

Return to BotArena and DeckBot