It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 19:25

Text Size

Dumb AI moments

by battlestar

Moderators: FranAvalon, Marek14, CCGHQ Admins

Dumb AI moments

Postby Marek14 » 31 Jan 2011, 08:02

While BotArena AI is pretty good, it's not infallible (especially on lower thinking settings). This is a thread for posting amusing, or just plain stupid things you've seen the computer do.
Marek14
Tester

Re: Dumb AI moments

Postby Clefaria » 28 Feb 2011, 05:41

Responded to me using Spreading Seas on a Stirring Wildwood by Path to Exile-ing my 0/1 Plant token.

A turn later, attacked with two Birds of Paradise for no apparent reason.

Soon after, responded to me casting Primeval Titan (no other creatures on my side of the battlefield) by turning a different Stirring Wildwood into a creature.

MWS bundle is DISCONTINUED, current only through M12
My (old) MWS bundle
Clefaria

Postby Marek14 » 28 Feb 2011, 07:06

Hm, while those are things human player wouldn't do, the question is if they hurt the AI's chances? Maybe the first one... What was your AI setting?
Marek14
Tester

Postby Clefaria » 28 Feb 2011, 13:45

Marek14 wrote:Hm, while those are things human player wouldn't do, the question is if they hurt the AI's chances? Maybe the first one... What was your AI setting?
capture_02282011_084400.png

My (old) MWS bundle
Clefaria

Postby FranAvalon » 28 Feb 2011, 14:06

5 sec is too low for good perforance. I think that time below 30sec are nice to play fast games but not for play vs a smart IA.

Also check "boost process" option is good.

Anyway, as marek said, IA moves are not different from human moves. Of course it depends of the game scenario.

Thanks for the feed back :)
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Clefaria » 28 Feb 2011, 17:36

(Set to max of 1 minute of thinking, but acted before the minute was up)

CPU cast kicked Vines of Vastwood on an Overgrown Battlement on its main phase, lol.

My (old) MWS bundle
Clefaria

Postby FranAvalon » 28 Feb 2011, 18:12

Clefaria wrote:(Set to max of 1 minute of thinking, but acted before the minute was up)
Yes, if the MinMax found the best movement before the time is up, AI will do that play.

Clefaria wrote:CPU cast kicked Vines of Vastwood on an Overgrown Battlement on its main phase, lol.
That is a bad play :?
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Clefaria » 01 Mar 2011, 00:31

Used Cryptic Command with the "tap all creatures" mode when I had no creatures.

My (old) MWS bundle
Clefaria

Postby CecilMonk » 20 May 2011, 16:03

Played Batterskull with Stoneforge Mystic ability, then returned Batterskull to it's hand right after!
CecilMonk

Postby timmermac » 23 May 2011, 20:42

AI is set to 30-second thinking time. AI has 2x Lone Wolf 3x Norwood Archers 1x Grizzly Bears and 1x Durkwood Boars. I have a Spitting Sliver, a Screeching Sliver, and a Sidewinder Sliver. The board's been like this for a few turns, and yet the AI hasn't been attacking me. I should theoretically be dead by now. I've got the AI down to 9 with direct damage.

Edit: Same game... I have at least one island in play, and the AI has islandwalkers out... Is the AI trying to let me win or something?
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Marek14 » 23 Jun 2011, 20:24

This was a fun moment -- AI cast Living Lands when I have Crovax, Ascendant Hero out.

Ends about as well as you'd think. All his Forests become 1/1 creatures... that aren't white, so they get -1/-1 and die. And every other Forest he'll play will die right away... AI locked itself.
Marek14
Tester

Postby araiwah » 24 Jun 2011, 21:38

Just want to report a potentially "dumb" A.I. moment.

To be exact, it really isn't a moment of any sort, but the A.I. does this consistently. It does NOT know how to play Everflowing Chalice properly. It will frequently cast it (because it has 0 casting cost) but the chalice is useless, since it was not kicked, and thus, has no counters on it.

I have seen the A.I. cast it with the multikicker a few times, but it usually only does this when it has nothing else to cast and has mana left over.

Don't know if this is something that can be tweaked or fixed.

Just reporting.
araiwah

Postby jeffwadsworth » 21 Sep 2011, 14:29

I find the AI of BotArena to be quite excellent. I did notice something during a recent match. I was testing the classic Cali-Nightmare/RecSur deck. The AI would rarely pull the big guys out of the graveyard, opting for little creatures most of the time. I would assume that the AI would take into account a creature's cost when pulling something from the graveyard, but apparently not.
jeffwadsworth
Super Tester Elite

Postby xanbie » 10 Jan 2012, 04:27

AI hardly ever casts Rampant Growth. AI wastes mana on unimprinted Mimic Vat. AI wants to build up some insane amount of tokens and not attack meanwhile getting pegged to death by 1/1 flyers. Makes tokens then cast Day of J. Casts Day of J then casts Mimic Vat. To many cards in play causes the game to hang for a long time. Spells like Opposition end up getting cut of off # of targets. But I really like the approach of AI vs AI. Even with all the dumb moments the AI likes to pitch Unburial Rites and Grave Titian to zombie infestation on turn 2 a lot even tho I have only 1 zombie infestation in the deck.

Really like the program and taking out all equipment in decks helps lower the crashes to about 1/10 games from 8/10 games.
xanbie

Postby FranAvalon » 10 Jan 2012, 22:33

For more movements when you have a lot, you can use the Actions window.

I am glad that you liked the app. We are trying to improve and to do more robust the game engine, so maybe someday the game would be bugless( the dream of all coders :D )

Could you post on bug report situations where the game crashes, You can describe their and you can copy/paste the last turn from the gamelog. Also, if a mdmp file was created (root BA folder)you can attach it.

AI doesn't only do bad movements, you can see also the thread for good moves and the video where the AI win me on second turn :lol:

Enjoy
FranAvalon
Programmer

Next

Return to BotArena and DeckBot