It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:36

Text Size

Smart AI moments

by battlestar

Moderators: FranAvalon, Marek14, CCGHQ Admins

Smart AI moments

Postby Marek14 » 31 Jan 2011, 08:04

This is a thread for posting your moments where computer managed to do something truly smart or surprising. Also for moments when the computer takes an unexpected advantage of your own mistake :)
Marek14
Tester

Re: Smart AI moments

Postby xanbie » 02 Mar 2011, 05:58

I ran about 300 AI v AI mostly my decks user AI vs random decks computer AI. Both make 60% dumb calls but that because the AI doesn't under stand small creatures with activations ie mana dudes. It's also confused by fetch lands.

only a few times I seen user AI with my decks make a good move the way the mono combos work.
1. one game the user AI didn't have a land to play and had Crypt Rats and 1 swamp and 2 plains untapped. user AI also had Shelter in hand. computer AI had a goblin deck with 3 1/1 and 2 2/2's out. user AI used Shelter on crypt rats and top decked a swap played the swap and killed all the goblins and attacked.
xanbie

Postby Replika » 12 Jun 2011, 18:18

While I have to admit that the CPU - my is named "Watson", after the Jeopardy computer - is pretty good at making bad plays, it is sometimes really surprising me.

So I was playing Pauper Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed (A very nice format by the way) and everything looked fine for me in the White Weenie Metalcraft mirror.
Watson had a Perilous Myr and three Plains. He cast Glint Hawk, bouncing the Myr - and passed the turn without replaying it. I assumed that was another dumb mistake by Watson and simply cast my own Glint Hawk. Watson had a response to that, and a pretty good one even: He cast Divine Offering, killing Sylvok Lifestaff - my only artifact. Glint Hawk had nothing to bounce and had to be sacrificed, leaving me with an empty board and no crucial Lifestaff. I died pretty quickly after that.
Replika

Postby muppet » 04 Aug 2011, 18:52

I made a legacy reanimator deck and just thought I would see how bad the ai was. To my suprise in the first game the computer passed its first turn on the draw and discarded blazing arcon reanimating it later. I guess it is possible he had no land and didn't muligann but he did play two lands the following turns I'll try the /developer mode and see what he is actually up to.
muppet
Tester

Postby FranAvalon » 04 Aug 2011, 20:19

I am confident that this is a "thinked" AI movement. If AI has an initial seven card hand, then AI had at least 2 lands :wink:

A few time ago, IA did something similar. It was playing a standard GW Quest deck with Vengevines. AI instead play a land, discarded a vengevine, and next turn casted a couple of memnites to put into the battlefield the vengevine :lol:
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Replika » 25 Aug 2011, 13:21

I was playing modern and piloted my Tezzerator list against the AI's UW Merfolk deck. Naturally, I struggled a bit stabilizing the board, and on my turn 5 (I was on the draw) I was down to just 5 life, facing down the AI's three 4/4 lords. I drew a Mox Opal off the top and thought I had it - the AI had no cards in hand, so I was sure everything would resolve. I cast the Mox Opal, then Tezzeret, the Seeker, tutored up Ensnaring Bridge and finally cast a Nihil Spellbomb and a Chalice of the Void for zero to go down to three cards in hand for the Bridge.

Then the AI untapped, drew a card, thought for almost half a minute - and cast Path to Exile on its own creature, shrinking the other two to 3/3s, and killed me. Yay!
Last edited by Replika on 25 Aug 2011, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Replika

Postby FranAvalon » 25 Aug 2011, 17:11

Sometimes AI does amazing plays :lol:
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 08 Dec 2011, 22:44

This is a minor thing, but still nice.

In AI vs. AI match, one side had Kraken's Eye and was a few life ahead. The other side cast Psychic Transfer. While gaining life from Kraken's Eye and similar is almost automatic, in this case AI chose to not gain the life as the extra life would end up with the opponent. It's like that Path to Exile example -- recognizing when a normally bad decision is actually good.
Marek14
Tester

Postby FranAvalon » 20 Dec 2011, 18:28

Counter Wars ;D

In this turn, AI had 5 lands and a Knight of the Reliquary (5/5), all untapped. I had a Merrow Reejerey and a couple of Cursecatcher. As AI had only two life, I was thinking that I would win on this turn, but... (RED, AI actions & GREEN, mine)

00:00:15
Ennya cast Punishing Fire2 and targeted Merrow Reejerey2(2/2) to deal 2 damage
Franavalon cast Spell Pierce4 and countered Punishing Fire2
00:00:15
Ennya paid the 'Spell Pierce4' cost
Franavalon cast Spell Pierce6 and countered Punishing Fire2
00:00:08
Ennya cast Spell Pierce and countered Spell Pierce6
Franavalon activated Cursecatcher4 and countered Spell Pierce :lol:
Ennya activated Knight of the Reliquary2 to search library for a land WHAT????!!! Image
Ennya selected Grove of the Burnwillows2 and put it into Ennya's Battlefield
Ennya paid the 'Cursecatcher4' cost

After that, my Merrow Reejerey died, and remanded Cursecatcher was 1/1 #-o
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 30 Jan 2012, 22:42

I attack with Fleshbag Marauder, AI blocks with Expendable Troops.
AI uses Cauldron of Souls, targeting both (!) of these.

Both creatures die. Expendable Troops returns as 1/0 and die. Fleshbag Marauders returns as 2/0 and dies.
AI has no more creatures. I do, and I have to sacrifice one to Fleshbag Marauder's ETB effect.
Marek14
Tester

Postby n3e3o3 » 10 Aug 2012, 20:14

I cast Decree of Justice and get four angels. Of course, I think the game is mine xD. AI casts Spitting Spider and sacrifices four lands. My precious angels go to the graveyard... :O.

Maybe this isn't the smarter AI moment of the thread, but really surprised me xD.
n3e3o3

Return to BotArena and DeckBot