It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:39

Text Size

BotArena Feedback

by battlestar

Moderators: FranAvalon, Marek14, CCGHQ Admins

BotArena Feedback

Postby FranAvalon » 02 Mar 2011, 20:17

Tell us your experience and thoughts about botarena.

Thx in advance :D
FranAvalon
Programmer

Re: BotArena Feedback

Postby ramonmr » 26 Apr 2011, 13:51

I'm trring BotArena and it looks pretty nice, although the AI takes a lot of time thinking.

Is there a way to play BotArena on Linux?
ramonmr

Postby FranAvalon » 26 Apr 2011, 15:59

Thanks for your comment. :D

If you think that IA take to much time, just set the thinking time a bit lower. Usually, I set it to 30 seconds and IA has a good perforance. Of course, that depends of your machine.

About to run it on linux, i think that is not possible because it uses some windows dll (if i am not wrong for UI). Did you tried using a win emulator?
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby ramonmr » 27 Apr 2011, 02:40

I tried Wine, the game runs, but it is impossible to read the cards.
ramonmr

Postby FranAvalon » 27 Apr 2011, 11:19

Maybe it is a problem with installed fonts. Could you post some screenshots with the problem?

If that is that is the problem, maybe it can be fixed installing on wine the missed font or changing on BA the used font to a Wine one.
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby weirdingway » 06 May 2011, 21:21

Any chance you guys could add a tool built-in (like Forge's) that downloads the pictures for you? They've been doing it for quite a while now, no problems.
weirdingway

Postby FranAvalon » 07 May 2011, 06:34

That is a good idea but in this moment only a coder is working on UI. I hope that this option could be implemented some day to do things more easy for new users.

BTW, BA uses images with the same structure than MWS: CardName.Full.JPG, so if you have MWS in your computer, just copy the folder to BA's one. If not, you can use MWS Picture Assistant to get HQ pics for you. This is the download link.
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby weirdingway » 07 May 2011, 15:23

FranAvalon wrote:That is a good idea but in this moment only a coder is working on UI. I hope that this option could be implemented some day to do things more easy for new users.

BTW, BA uses images with the same structure than MWS: CardName.Full.JPG, so if you have MWS in your computer, just copy the folder to BA's one. If not, you can use MWS Picture Assistant to get HQ pics for you. This is the download link.
That link took me to "Invalid or Deleted File."
weirdingway

Postby FranAvalon » 07 May 2011, 18:27

here a working one.
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Foreroes » 19 May 2011, 10:44

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to say that I have just discovered this game and I'm impressed by the AI, the variety and number of cards, so I want to thank you for the huge effort that you have done :D .
But, I'd like to know if there's some way to increased the maximum zoom of the cards in play and the size of the images in the deck editor too. I hardly can read the text of the cards (even with maximum zoom).
On the other hand, the only problem when playing is that the batleground is a mess, could be the different types of cards separated in different zones?

I hope it doesn't bother you :oops: , It was only a pair of suggestions.
In any case thanks a lot for your attention :wink: .

P.S: Sorry if I've made some writing mistakes, I'm learning English.
Foreroes

Postby FranAvalon » 19 May 2011, 13:23

Thanks for the feedback :)

About zoom on cards, i am using a 17" monitor and i can read without problems the cards. Of course it depends of desktop resolution. Mine is 1280x1024. Also, if you put the mouse cursor over a card a text box pop-up with current oracle card text.

To change card size of all cards on the gameplay, you have two ways. For the first one go to "Options"->"Appareance settings" on BA text based menu. A new window will pop-up and on the right part of it, you can change the card size using the scroll bar.
For second one, just press Ctrl key and use the mouse wheel to change card size.

By default, if i am not wrong, if you pass the mouse cursor over card name, it zoom it to an easy read. That option can be disabled on the same menu, just check out auto zoom cards. If you do, you can zoom in a card using mouse wheel as a button.

About change card size on deckbuilder, i don't understand the problem. I can read card text without problems on all BA cards.

BA GUI is a bit simply and it would be changed some day. That day all cards would use different zones, or at least I hope so.

Again thx for the feedback and enjoy playing with BA. :wink:
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Foreroes » 19 May 2011, 17:48

Thanks a lot for your fast response.

Yes, regarding resolution you were right; the problem was I had a very high dekstop resolution because my screen needs it, but I changed it in order to play and now I don't have any problem to read the cards properly.

I was begining to think that I was blind :) .
Foreroes

Postby CecilMonk » 20 May 2011, 13:29

A suggestion that would greatly help (me the most, but I think many people) would be proxy server support (http, socks, etc). I'm currently using Proxifier anyway.
CecilMonk

Postby FranAvalon » 20 May 2011, 14:17

Internet connection was writen by battlestar, the original BA coder. I don't have enough skills about it to change internet conexion, sorry. :(
FranAvalon
Programmer

Postby Agetian » 28 May 2011, 13:12

I just discovered BotArena recently and I'd like to say that I'm honestly very impressed by the progress of this project. The astonishing number of supported cards coupled with a beautiful interface and a competitive and rather strong AI is definitely a very impressive achievement, I'm surprised that this project hasn't received more attention and hasn't become more well-known and popular yet. Personally I'm enjoying it very much, the only issue that I'd like to mention is probably the stability (the game crashes from time to time), and if the stability is addressed, I think it's going to be a very solid addition to my collection of Magic-related software (my personal favorites so far being Forge and Wagic - I wasn't aware that BotArena has been in development for quite a while until very recently...).

I'd like to say that I'm quite impressed by the AI that provides actual competition and is far less predictable than the other AI Magic engines I've seen so far. The BotArena AI is fun to play with, provides quite a lot of variety, and offers a good challenge when given enough time for thinking.

It's sad that this project has not gone open-source so far, I believe the progress would have been even quicker and even more outstanding should the project have received more attention from a wider community of coders and allowed free contributions to its code base much like Forge does.

Definitely a truly great job so far, keep it up and thank you very much for your commendable effort!
Agetian
Programmer

Next

Return to BotArena and DeckBot