It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:20

Text Size

Any way to help out with this project?

by Incantus

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Any way to help out with this project?

Postby Dorkmaster Flek » 02 Jul 2009, 16:33

So I've been playing around with version 0.59 on my Linux box, and I have to say, this is some pretty stellar work! Programming a rules enforced MTG engine is something that was always really interesting to me, but seemed beyond the realm of possibility as a pet project. After playing around with Incantus, I'm convinced that this is the best attempt I've seen yet, and I really want to get involved and help out somehow.

A brief background on myself: The software development part of the company I work for uses Python for almost everything we do, and I've been with them for a couple years now, so I'd consider myself pretty proficient with the language itself and the core library. It's really cool to see the code examples you put up and actually understand basically what's going on. :) UI programming is definitely something I'm not very familiar with, but the engine itself is right up my alley. I have to say, seeing how you implement certain otherwise difficult effects with ease (ex. Doran's combat damage altering effect), I think that Python is an excellent choice for something like this. I love working with Python and may be slightly biased on the issue, but certain abilities of the language (like overwriting the combat function for the Doran effect) seem really well suited to this project.

So what I really want to know is, how can I help out? I understand you have a small group of people working on the project, and you're not ready for it to become fully open source yet. If you don't need any help in actual development, what about beta testing new and currently implemented cards? This is just one of the coolest projects I've ever seen, and I really want to help get it off the ground in any way I can.
Dorkmaster Flek

Re: Any way to help out with this project?

Postby Marek14 » 03 Jul 2009, 06:18

Well, currently we're waiting for release of new Comprehensive Rules :)
Marek14
Tester

Postby Dorkmaster Flek » 03 Jul 2009, 13:20

That's cool, I guess it's kind of inconvenient at the moment because of the rules changes. I'm assuming you're referring to the Magic 2010 changes. I'm assuming you've already started on the changes since they've been announced. I don't think you need to wait for the actual comp. rules update for that, right? The hardest part is probably the combat changes, or possibly the deathtouch/lifelink changes. Probably the combat changes, as the damage no longer uses the stack, and you have the attacking player ordering multiple blockers. Deathtouch might be a little tricky, as you then have the old damage assignment. Everything else seems to be just terminology. Anyway, I'm sure you guys are on top of it. :) Are you focusing more on getting the rules changes in place rather than actually implementing and testing new cards? I'd love to see an updated Mac/Linux build, since I noticed in the bug report thread that apparently so much has changed from 0.59 that it's basically useless to test with that at the moment.
Dorkmaster Flek

Postby MageKing17 » 03 Jul 2009, 19:30

Dorkmaster Flek wrote:I'm assuming you've already started on the changes since they've been announced. I don't think you need to wait for the actual comp. rules update for that, right?
You assume incorrectly. Until we have the finalized comprehensive rules, exactly how to program the changes is up in the air, so we're waiting. Besides that, we have some other major changes that were already in the pipeline when M10 rolled along, so that's compounding the problem.

Dorkmaster Flek wrote:The hardest part is probably the combat changes, or possibly the deathtouch/lifelink changes. Probably the combat changes, as the damage no longer uses the stack, and you have the attacking player ordering multiple blockers. Deathtouch might be a little tricky, as you then have the old damage assignment. Everything else seems to be just terminology.
No, actually, I don't think it'll be that hard. Combat damage being on the stack was a bit odd anyway. Now only spells and abilities can be on the stack, which may actually simplify things. True, making ordering blockers work will require UI changes, but, well, we need to change so much of the UI anyway. :P Deathtouch is probably the easiest, considering using the existing distribution system is already possible (and used by, for example, spells that distribute damage or +1/+1 counters).

Dorkmaster Flek wrote:Are you focusing more on getting the rules changes in place rather than actually implementing and testing new cards? I'd love to see an updated Mac/Linux build, since I noticed in the bug report thread that apparently so much has changed from 0.59 that it's basically useless to test with that at the moment.
I focus on the rules engine because Marek14 is such a dedicated maker and tester of cards. I occasionally make cards (or help Marek with a troublesome one), but mostly I try to make the engine as general as possible. Which just might require a complete rewrite. :P And yes, testing with 0.59 is pretty pointless at this stage. If I wasn't afraid of it being full of horrible bugs, I'd release the current version, but I'm pretty sure it is full of horrible bugs. :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Dorkmaster Flek » 03 Jul 2009, 21:18

That's cool. It sounds like you guys are on top of it. I'll just have to wait (im)patiently for the next Linux release to start hammering away at it. Hopefully it won't be too long a wait. :)
Dorkmaster Flek

Postby MageKing17 » 04 Jul 2009, 16:15

Dorkmaster Flek wrote:Hopefully it won't be too long a wait. :)
How optimistic of you. ;)

My current crazy idea is to turn Incantus into a parser of Magic card language, although finding a good parser (that works in Windows) is proving difficult.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby juzamjedi » 05 Jul 2009, 05:42

Hello Flek.

An easy and fun way to start helping is to just test card interactions. Most of the implemented cards have only been given the most basic of testing to see that they do what they state they do. There is a thread in this forum for when you find bugs so you can post them in there.
juzamjedi
Tester

Postby MageKing17 » 05 Jul 2009, 16:56

juzamjedi wrote:Hello Flek.

An easy and fun way to start helping is to just test card interactions. Most of the implemented cards have only been given the most basic of testing to see that they do what they state they do. There is a thread in this forum for when you find bugs so you can post them in there.
With version 0.59? And an outdated database?
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Dorkmaster Flek » 05 Jul 2009, 16:59

I was just about to say that. ;)
Dorkmaster Flek

Postby MageKing17 » 05 Jul 2009, 17:34

You know, we have an IRC channel on #EFNet (called, unimaginatively, #incantus). If you have an IRC client, you're welcome to drop by.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Dorkmaster Flek » 05 Jul 2009, 17:49

Thanks MK, I'll do that. :)
Dorkmaster Flek

Return to Incantus