It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:22

Text Size

Incantus networking

by Incantus

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Incantus networking

Postby Incantus » 07 Nov 2009, 05:18

Due to some other commitments recently, I haven't had much time to work on Incantus since the summer. However, I do plan on open-sourcing the code sometime soon, after I get it into a state where other people can download the code and play around it.

I also haven't been on the IRC channel much recently, and apparently people have been popping in asking how to set up p2p between 2 people. It's a bit tricky, but if you're willing to get your hands a little dirty (and put up with some annoyances) here is how to do it:

Note: One player must have an internet accessible machine (although I've heard that it works over Hamachi). This player will be referred to the host below, and the other player is the client. Since there is no chat functionality, you'll have to coordinate using IRC or some instant messaging service.

1. In your incantus.ini file, add the following section to the end of the file:
Code: Select all
[network]
server: 127.0.0.1
port: 50029
For the host, it doesn't matter what server ip they put, but the client must put the host's ip as the server. You can use any port you want, but 50029 seems to work well with Windows. You might have to open up these ports on your firewall.

2. The host should start up the program, and instead of pressing 'n' to start a new game, press 'Shift-S'. Make sure that you do this before the client step in 3. The program will freeze until the client connects.

3. The client should start up the program and press 'Shift-C' instead of pressing 'n'.

4. The games should hook up to each other. Now you can play!

This process will hopefully be automated in the future, ideally with some kind of game room to find opponents and a chat interface.

Edit: Make sure both of you are using the same version of Incantus and the same copy of the cards.db file in you data subdirectory, otherwise the game will get out of sync and crash. There ir currently no sanity check for this.
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Re: Incantus networking

Postby Huggybaby » 08 Nov 2009, 01:15

Wow, thanks for making this public Incantus. This is the info so many have been waiting for.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Re: Incantus networking

Postby Incantus » 13 Nov 2009, 02:40

Sure. Mostly the reason I didn't post it was that it's non intuitive to setup and I don't have time at the moment to support people who have trouble.
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Return to Incantus