It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:34

Text Size

Feedback on popup zone interaction

by Incantus

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Feedback on popup zone interaction

Postby Incantus » 24 Mar 2011, 01:18

Quick question - does the interaction shown in the video below for browsing your other zones (library, graveyard, removed) seem intuitive? I like the interaction, but I'm not too happy with how the cards kind of unrealistically go from under the focused card, to being the focused card to under the focused card as you slide in either direction. Any ideas?
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Re: Feedback on popup zone interaction

Postby Incantus » 24 Mar 2011, 04:07

I've implemented card selection from a zone:

Comments?
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby Incantus » 24 Mar 2011, 21:04

Here's a slightly different version. The main difference is that you select/order cards from top to bottom (which is how i think people do it in real life).

Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 25 Mar 2011, 17:29

Incantus wrote:Quick question - does the interaction shown in the video below for browsing your other zones (library, graveyard, removed) seem intuitive? I like the interaction, but I'm not too happy with how the cards kind of unrealistically go from under the focused card, to being the focused card to under the focused card as you slide in either direction. Any ideas?
The mechanic itself is fine. One way to make it more clear: if the focused card were magnified a bit, it would be more obviously in the foreground and easier to view.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Incantus » 26 Mar 2011, 01:20

How about this:
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 26 Mar 2011, 04:36

I might make the foreground card even bigger relative to the background cards, but I'd have to see it in context on my monitor to be sure. I don't think the background cards need to be so dark, or even darkened at all, since they're not distracting if the foreground card is "foregrounded" enough. Plus, the background cards should also be clearly visible because they're integral to navigation.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby MageKing17 » 26 Mar 2011, 21:29

Huggybaby wrote:I might make the foreground card even bigger relative to the background cards, but I'd have to see it in context on my monitor to be sure. I don't think the background cards need to be so dark, or even darkened at all, since they're not distracting if the foreground card is "foregrounded" enough. Plus, the background cards should also be clearly visible because they're integral to navigation.
I think a little dimming to imply that they're farther away would be a subtle visual aid, but you're right in that they need to be clearly visible. I would drop it to maybe 20% as much dimming as is going on now (in other words, if this is currently, say, 50% visibility, bump it to 90%).

Otherwise, Incantus, this is totally wicked cool. :D
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Incantus » 27 Mar 2011, 11:48

How about this:

Background cards are about 95% the size of the foreground and 80% brightness. Incidentally, make sure you watch the video at the 720p HD resolution.
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 27 Mar 2011, 17:58

Looking pretty awesome, Incantus. :D

Although, come to think of it, wouldn't it be slightly better if the magnified card was still centered relative to the others? Not saying it doesn't look good as-is!
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Incantus » 28 Mar 2011, 00:40

MageKing17 wrote:Looking pretty awesome, Incantus. :D

Although, come to think of it, wouldn't it be slightly better if the magnified card was still centered relative to the others? Not saying it doesn't look good as-is!
Not sure what you mean - the magnified card is centered. Although I guess the cards on the right aren't spaced out like they are on the left, so it looks a little off. I can fix the layout algorithm to spread them out on the right as well.

Edit: Like this?
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 28 Mar 2011, 16:40

Incantus wrote:
MageKing17 wrote:Looking pretty awesome, Incantus. :D

Not sure what you mean - the magnified card is centered. Although I guess the cards on the right aren't spaced out like they are on the left, so it looks a little off. I can fix the layout algorithm to spread them out on the right as well.
Whoops, just realized how ambiguous my original statement was; I meant vertically centered, although that video does look more horizontally centered, I suppose.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Incantus » 28 Mar 2011, 17:23

Ah, you think it would look better vertically centered? That's how i originally did it, wasn't sure how it looked so went for the current layout. Here's what it would look like:

Edit: I agree it looks better. Now committed!
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Return to Incantus