It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:54

Text Size

Testing the combat system

by Incantus

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Re: Testing the combat system

Postby MageKing17 » 13 Jun 2008, 01:36

Well, I noticed that Rampant Growth crashes when you try to put the land into play... also, deck-searching cards are inconsistent at best. Some of them have you click on the card, then select an entirely DIFFERENT card (using left+right), which is put into your hand when you hit enter (not the first card you clicked on). Others, like Diabolic Tutor, put the card you first clicked on put into your hand.

But I suppose "Fix bugs" and "add new cards" are both the standard complaints. :P

You could make card data editable manually, I suppose. People could add their own cards and contribute finished cards without you having to manually make each and every one... but that depends on both the format you use and how involved card creation is. :P

Also, Condemn refuses to work. I click on it, click on an attacking creature... and nothing happens. It goes back into my hand without asking for mana or having any effect on the game, making it just dead weight (dead weight you can't even put into play, like unimplemented cards).
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 13 Jun 2008, 06:24

incantus1 wrote:It seems these crashes are occuring at the end of the game, after the player has already won. Currently the game isn't properly reset - you have to restart the program to play a new game. I think the crash is happening when I try and reset the game.

Anybody have any negative feedback :) What would make the game better (besides more cards)?
Well, AI, obviously ;) But then again, you already know that.
Marek14
Tester

Postby The Scientist » 13 Jun 2008, 06:52

MageKing17 wrote:You could make card data editable manually, I suppose. People could add their own cards and contribute finished cards without you having to manually make each and every one... but that depends on both the format you use and how involved card creation is.
I'll take the liberty of answering this :
There is a card editor, I've been using to add half of the Lorwyn set already. But most bugs in Incantus come from the engine. If Zombifying an evoked creature gives me the evoke trigger to sac it (that bug is nox fixed), the card was probably coded corectly, but there could be a problem with triggers that might require a change to all the previously entered cards. Like the bug with Rampant Growth. The mistake there is an engine mistake, but it might require changing the code of the Growth as well.
On the other hand, why couldn't you help. It is however up to Incantus to give you the Deck Editor program, although I suggests he updates it first ;)
The Scientist

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 13 Jun 2008, 14:36

I have an idea. I like how on MWS one can just click to move phases. I'm kind of lazy, so it would be great if there was a way to pass priority without having to hit enter. It's not much but with the program doing so much already, you could almost play with only a mouse (which would be awesome).
I like being bad... it makes me happy...
staggerwingjtstw

Postby Incantus » 13 Jun 2008, 15:09

staggerwingjtstw wrote:I have an idea. I like how on MWS one can just click to move phases. I'm kind of lazy, so it would be great if there was a way to pass priority without having to hit enter. It's not much but with the program doing so much already, you could almost play with only a mouse (which would be awesome).
This is implemented already :) It's just a bit annoying since the phase bar jumps to both sides. But try it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ooczmyp0kmh
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby Incantus » 13 Jun 2008, 15:21

The Scientist wrote: On the other hand, why couldn't you help. It is however up to Incantus to give you the Deck Editor program, although I suggests he updates it first ;)
I could release the editor - the problem is I don't have time to give any support for it and I couldn't promise that any cards that people make won't be broken by the next version of Incantus. There are still a few major redesigns I need to do before the rules engine stabilizes.
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby Incantus » 13 Jun 2008, 15:24

MageKing17 wrote:... deck-searching cards are inconsistent at best. Some of them have you click on the card, then select an entirely DIFFERENT card (using left+right), which is put into your hand when you hit enter (not the first card you clicked on). Others, like Diabolic Tutor, put the card you first clicked on put into your hand.
I'm not sure what you mean here. What part is inconsistent? Whenever you have to search a zone to select one or more cards, you have to click on the card and then hit enter.
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 13 Jun 2008, 17:52

incantus1 wrote:
MageKing17 wrote:... deck-searching cards are inconsistent at best. Some of them have you click on the card, then select an entirely DIFFERENT card (using left+right), which is put into your hand when you hit enter (not the first card you clicked on). Others, like Diabolic Tutor, put the card you first clicked on put into your hand.
I'm not sure what you mean here. What part is inconsistent? Whenever you have to search a zone to select one or more cards, you have to click on the card and then hit enter.
Perhaps you didn't read closely enough. In the first example, the first-clicked card has no effect... you put a completely different card into your hand. In the second example, the first-clicked card is the card that goes into your hand. Meaning you're never quite sure whether or not you're going to get the card you actually want.

EDIT: For more information, the first card was a Commune with Nature, and the second was a Diabolic Tutor (I already mentioned the second one, but not the first)

incantus1 wrote:
The Scientist wrote: On the other hand, why couldn't you help. It is however up to Incantus to give you the Deck Editor program, although I suggests he updates it first ;)
I could release the editor - the problem is I don't have time to give any support for it and I couldn't promise that any cards that people make won't be broken by the next version of Incantus. There are still a few major redesigns I need to do before the rules engine stabilizes.
I've never been the kind to mind personal work being broken by an engine update... if you're willing to share the editor, I'm willing to experiment with it and, well, push the limits of your engine. :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Incantus » 13 Jun 2008, 19:04

MageKing17 wrote:Perhaps you didn't read closely enough. In the first example, the first-clicked card has no effect... you put a completely different card into your hand. In the second example, the first-clicked card is the card that goes into your hand. Meaning you're never quite sure whether or not you're going to get the card you actually want.

EDIT: For more information, the first card was a Commune with Nature, and the second was a Diabolic Tutor (I already mentioned the second one, but not the first)
Hmm, I still don't see the problem when I play with the card. Here's how it works when I play it:

Play it, it resolves. The top five cards of my library pop up. I can scroll through them. If i don't want to select and reveal a card, i hit Escape, and all 5 cards go to the bottom of the graveyard (where i can order them). If i do select a card, it moves up, and i hit enter. If the card is a creature card, it goes into my hand, and the remaining cards go to the bottom of the library. If it is not a creature card, then all 5 cards pop up again. Actually, now I see an issue. Maybe you shouldn't be able to pick any cards that don't fulfill the criteria. This is probably where the confusion is.

MageKing17 wrote:I've never been the kind to mind personal work being broken by an engine update... if you're willing to share the editor, I'm willing to experiment with it and, well, push the limits of your engine. :P
OK, but with no documentation (except what you see in other cards): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?iscdjxmssw2.
Also, i make no promises about backwards support. A lot of current cards will be broken in future versions of Incantus (although since I implemented them I will fix them).
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby Incantus » 13 Jun 2008, 19:36

incantus1 wrote:Actually, now I see an issue. Maybe you shouldn't be able to pick any cards that don't fulfill the criteria. This is probably where the confusion is.
OK, try this version: http://www.mediafire.com/?gvn1bgx3bom
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 13 Jun 2008, 19:47

incantus1 wrote:Hmm, I still don't see the problem when I play with the card. Here's how it works when I play it:

Play it, it resolves. The top five cards of my library pop up. I can scroll through them. If i don't want to select and reveal a card, i hit Escape, and all 5 cards go to the bottom of the graveyard (where i can order them). If i do select a card, it moves up, and i hit enter. If the card is a creature card, it goes into my hand, and the remaining cards go to the bottom of the library. If it is not a creature card, then all 5 cards pop up again.
That isn't the way it works for me.

Suppose I have a Canopy Spider, a Civic Wayfinder, and a Craw Wurm on top of my library. I decide I don't want the Canopy Spider and move on to the Civic Wayfinder, which I click on. I then hit enter. Craw Wurm enters my hand. That is not expected behavior, but it's what happens.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Incantus » 13 Jun 2008, 20:10

MageKing17 wrote:Suppose I have a Canopy Spider, a Civic Wayfinder, and a Craw Wurm on top of my library. I decide I don't want the Canopy Spider and move on to the Civic Wayfinder, which I click on. I then hit enter. Craw Wurm enters my hand. That is not expected behavior, but it's what happens.
That's very strange - I've never seen it happen. When you click on Civic Wayfinder, does it move up above all the other cards? Is this consistent every time you play Commune with Nature? Can you test with the above version?
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 13 Jun 2008, 21:20

incantus1 wrote:That's very strange - I've never seen it happen. When you click on Civic Wayfinder, does it move up above all the other cards?
Yes, just like any other search.

incantus1 wrote:Is this consistent every time you play Commune with Nature?
Yes.

incantus1 wrote:Can you test with the above version?
I'm just about to (was experimenting with the Card Editor a little, figured I may as well see if I can get a "simple" (read: similar to an already-implemented card) to work, I'll test that too (separately, of course)).

EDIT: Latest version works correctly. On a slightly more sour note, my newly-implemented card (Armored Ascension) didn't quite work. The P/T bonus was fine (copied almost directly from Blanchwood Armor), but the creature didn't gain Flying. I'll experiment some more with it, though.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Incantus » 13 Jun 2008, 21:50

MageKing17 wrote:EDIT: Latest version works correctly. On a slightly more sour note, my newly-implemented card (Armored Ascension) didn't quite work. The P/T bonus was fine (copied almost directly from Blanchwood Armor), but the creature didn't gain Flying. I'll experiment some more with it, though.
Cool. I'm sure you'll get it working. Here's a hint - the cards are real python code, and the effects argument can take a MultipleEffects object:

effects = MultipleEffects([AugmentPowerToughness(power=num_forests,toughness=num_forests,expire=False), GiveKeyword(flying, keyword="flying")])
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 14 Jun 2008, 15:16

I know. I'd done basically that (got the GiveKeyword syntax from Fear and renamed the variable to num_plains though, for readability), however, it hadn't wanted to update the actual card in the cards.db. After some chicanery, I finally got a version of cards.db with the modifications, and the card worked perfectly (A non-flying creature was unable to block my Armored Ascension-enchanted creature), so I think I've got the feel for the editor now. :P

Now all I need is to figure out how to require a certain color of mana be spent on X...
MageKing17
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Incantus