It is currently 15 Jun 2024, 17:40

Text Size

Annoying AI actions that are unnecessary and needs improving

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Annoying AI actions that are unnecessary and needs improving

Postby kingpin » 15 Aug 2011, 20:16

Ever been annoyed by your opponent tapping and displaying each land they used to cast every spell?

Who really cares which lands they using. Just cast the dang spell already. And obviously, their lands are already on the field so we're very

clear of the lands they have.

In addition, simple annoying things such as during combat where the AI had to go through each combat phase although no creatures were

able to block the attackers nor any spells or abilities to prevent the damages caused.

Moreover, wouldn't it be much easier if permanents that produces mana auto-taps the same way as lands do. We have an option to

manually tap our lands so why couldn't mana-producing artifacts or creatures have duh-mode?

Anyone concur?
kingpin

Re: Annoying AI actions that are unnecessary and needs impro

Postby stassy » 16 Aug 2011, 04:30

Unfortunately you can't ask the AI to be as smart as a human, and it's already amazing the original devs were able to make a simple weenie type AI + some recorded combo.

The land call is supposed to be part of the original old game/rules I guess, as in real game you had to call for land tapping (though it was faster for player I concede)

You can speed up a bit the game by holding SPACE BAR, which will pass most of the steps but be careful because it will also pass your own steps.

You can also remove the stop on every ai phase but this is also dangerous because you wouldn't be able to counter an AI spell, that is why it's problematic because it depend on the circumstances.
stassy

Postby kingpin » 16 Aug 2011, 04:55

Yeah, I've always used and held the Space Bar down to speed things up and turned off the marker for the phases. Sometimes I had to use Enter for the ones displaying the actions. I've even turned off the coin toss and the mulligan step which helped a bit.

Even with the space bar the combat phases were still slow. It was asking for fast effects even though i had nothing to pump the creature with nor it had any activated abilities.

Come to think of it, since it's in slo-mo, it somewhat makes the battle scene more dramatic. I'll just add sound effects for each combat phase. For instance, the roars of the eldrazi, ground rumbling while it's rushing for the creature/opponent, then the slashing/pounding massacre, and finally the helplessly dying sound of the creature/opponent.
kingpin

Postby stassy » 16 Aug 2011, 07:21

Yes, that is why I still prefer to play ML more than others AI mtg engine like forge, the flavor sounds and the UI make it a bit more enjoyable to play.
stassy

Return to ManaLink 3.0