It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 00:30

Text Size

Good challenges for normal play

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Good challenges for normal play

Postby Althuna » 21 Nov 2011, 10:09

I have some very strong decks I enjoy playing, but I find that just playing them in the Gauntlet without challenge mode turned on, I win every game. After 20 wins in a row it gets a bit tiring! I am wondering if there are any challenges that let you play with your own unaltered deck, and they provide a good challenge without having to remake your deck?

I know the Tribal Trials lets me do that, but I find that the constant onslought of little creatures means that I can't survive with a normal deck. Is there anything kind of in between? I have already beaten most of the challenges (including tribal), but I can't remember them all and I just want to play with normal fun decks not kill turn 2 decks etc.
Althuna

Re: Good challenges for normal play

Postby stassy » 21 Nov 2011, 11:16

Mirror? :D
Also, try all the tribal deck without challenge mode, AI play know how to handle easy to cast creatures.

Nearly all the deck from Tournament are quite good because they were made to fit the AI, especially the Natural Order ones which are killer in 3-4 round.

Unfortunately all the classic decks in New Limited are partially bugged because of a missing card or bugged card or AI not playing it (caw blade, wolf run ramp, uw illusion...) but next patch is going to be interesting with all these available again :D

Edit: I forgot that you have all the avatar in constructed that can beef up a bit the challenge
stassy

Postby thedrigo » 21 Nov 2011, 13:40

I keep trying to beat Pit Fighting without combos or enchantments and it's pretty damn hard. Enchanted is pretty difficult too. Try the Sliver or Planeswalker challenges too, those are pretty ridiculous.
thedrigo

Postby Althuna » 21 Nov 2011, 14:24

Thank you guys :) Great ideas. I can't wait to try it :D
Althuna

Postby Althuna » 23 Nov 2011, 00:49

Well unfortunately those decks destroyed my none challenge decks, hard to beat 6 creatures with shroud coming to kill you on turn 3 unless you use some of the crazier cards. So I have done something I always wanted to do! I have moved all the decks from "Playdeck" folder in to a subfolder in there. And in the Playdeck folder I have just put a bunch of really strong but simple to play decks (mostly creature stompy type). So now when I play the gauntlet with challenge mode turned off, the opponent goes through these decks, giving a nice challenge :)

My only issue now is finding a way to stop the AI from playing my decks which I also have to keep in that folder.
Althuna

Postby Gargaroz » 23 Nov 2011, 00:59

Are you sure Althuna ? The decks the AI play during the challenges are not there at all.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Postby Althuna » 23 Nov 2011, 01:25

In gauntlet mode but with challenge turned off :)
Althuna

Postby stassy » 23 Nov 2011, 04:51

Gargaroz wrote:Are you sure Althuna ? The decks the AI play during the challenges are not there at all.
In the deck section I posted some times ago the all decks from challenges, that include jatill tribal decks and old classics(the j* series, like fog, grow, rats...).

Even without challenge mode or avatar they can be a bit pushover if you don't pay attention :D
stassy

Return to ManaLink 3.0