It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:57

Text Size

Who Plays Manalink Most?

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Who Plays Manalink Most?

Postby jatill » 22 Mar 2009, 12:49

Who here thinks they have played this game the most hours, total? Before I know about these forums, I used to speculate that I had played this game more than anyone else in the world :)

I've played Shandalar maybe 15 times, and probably 1000 constructed gauntlets and 100 sealed tournaments.
And now I've probably spent 100 hours coding.

Are there people here that have played more?
jatill
DEVELOPER

Re: Who Plays Manalink Most?

Postby Bog Wraith » 22 Mar 2009, 15:12

I've been playing it since it first came out in 1997. I've played thousands of duels and sealed deck tournaments. I've played in Shandalar so many times, I could never hope to put a number to it. Even with it's limitations and an AI that isn't the best of opponents, I can't think of any other computer game that I love or have played more.

The only other game I have played consistently as long would be Steel Panthers World At War.
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby CirothUngol » 20 May 2009, 23:47

Like jatill, I too thought that I had played Microprose's little wonder more than anyone else. Hell, I thought I was the only dude who even still played this game. "I hate the tiny cardbase", a friend would say. "They stopped releasing updates, so I lost interest" would be the reply of most others. I really enjoyed having a ready, computerized opponent and the limited cardbase forced one to produce narrow, focused and powerful decks in order to win consistently. Only 2 or 3 of my decks have ever been able to complete the Gauntlet on it's hardest setting (Thank You, Mechanical Blue).
As to the question, I'm sure that I've completed Shandalar 12-15 times, and have played Duels, Gauntlets and Sealed Decks innumerable times, quite literally. Shandalar, while pretty cool, wasn't really my bag. I loved Deck Construction and Sealed Deck Tournaments! I've played this game near daily since it's release, with about a year of lapse when I was forced to abandon Win98 (and it's compatability) and switch to Win2K. (damn you NTSC!) I resumed, delighted, when I found the UnderDogs install and ManaLink 1.3.2... which was the setup I was still using (on WinXP SP3) when I stumbled across ManaLink 2.0, 2.01, jatill's updates and all the Hubbub. I still play it every day at work, and most nights before I go to sleep. What Fun!
So how much do I play this game? A BUNCH! I'm not gonna try and claim any prizes or nuthin', and I'm not gonna say that a have played it more than anyone else, but deep down, secretly, in my heart... I know that I've played it more that anyone else! ^_^
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby aww1979 » 21 May 2009, 00:16

I got this game when I was still in high school, and when I click on 'player' in the main menu, it says Overall record: 2696/1408/14 (65%) So, just over 4000 duels, plus however many shandalar games I've played.
aww1979
Tester

Postby CirothUngol » 21 May 2009, 02:01

Wow! Amazing how I've never noticed that little statistic on the player screen ^_^. My current MtG ManaLink install on this computer, which has been active for just over a year, reads 2533/658/15 (79%). I wonder what the install at work reads... I'll check that out tomorrow.
Incidently, my new MtG ManaLink 2.01 install, which I just found last week, is at 78/24/0... and I wasn't even here last weekend.
I guess my next goal is to see if the counter flips at 9999!
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Return to ManaLink 3.0