It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:34

Text Size

Before I spend way too much time on this...

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Before I spend way too much time on this...

Postby Xunqualyn » 16 Dec 2009, 23:32

So, my interest in this project lies solely with getting Shandalar to run on my computer properly. After much experimentation I have only gotten it to run more-or-less properly with the 2.0 version then patching to 2.01. All other versions I have tried do not have a functioning deck.exe (only Air Elemental is displayed).

Now, my issue with 2.01 is with the updated art. I love that people are working on this excellent game, but it very much detracts from my nostalgia to see the new artwork. Also, expansion symbols are missing. Neither of those two things are the end of the world, and I am happy to be able to play, but I'm willing to go through and replace the alternate with the original art.

Also, when I start a new game, it comes up with a fonts.cv error and my character looks like random pixels.

My questions are these:

-Has someone already re-replaced the art already?
-What can I do to get the expansion symbols back?
-Are the rules within Shandalar also updated (as I understand things are now updated to modern rules)?
-If so, can they easily be changed back to 4ED rules?
-Would it be easier to try to get the original DotP 3.0 to work on a modern computer?

Thanks everyone in advance.
Xunqualyn

Re: Before I spend way too much time on this...

Postby mathusalem » 16 Dec 2009, 23:49

Well, my best advice would be to not download any update at all.
if the original game with no addiyion is what you want, why bother installing an update ?
anyway, if i rememeber well, you still have the choice of the art you will place in the duel art folder so you can use the old art.
besides, Shandalar has not been changed yet, so it is still playing with the 4th edition rules.
mathusalem

Postby Xunqualyn » 17 Dec 2009, 00:17

Because I can't seem to edit my decks at all in the original version and 1.32.
Xunqualyn

Postby stassy » 17 Dec 2009, 11:14

Xunqualyn wrote:Because I can't seem to edit my decks at all in the original version and 1.32.
This is a classic problem that can be solved in the wiki faq, depending on your computer configuration and your regedit.

And btw if you have a problem with original version the new version will still carry it :p
stassy

Postby Bog Wraith » 18 Dec 2009, 01:29

The best advice for this is to keep a separate install of the original game on your system, while keeping our version as your "ManaLink" install. Update this one with whatever changes and updates are released for it, while you keep the "Shandalar" install pristine! :)
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Return to ManaLink 3.0