It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:15

Text Size

Art Patch July 2018 for all versions

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Art Patch July 2018 for all versions

Postby drool66 » 05 Jul 2018, 23:47

Hi, everyone,

I've assembled here all of the art I've collected since the August 2016 Eldritch Moon patch. This update is in three parts:

1a. CardArtManalink Update (4401 images)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mw799whzt93zm9d/CardArtUpdate_July2018.zip

If you want your card art to look better and you already have a Manalink or Shandalar installation, this is for you. No matter which version of Manalink or Shandalar you have, this update will make your cards look better.
This includes new alternate art for cards released since then, plus updated and better looking replacements for existing art. It also includes a cohesive collection of basic land art. For best results: before you install, go to your CardArtManalink folder and delete all instances of Forest (1).jpg, Forest (2).jpg...Forest (168).jpg, and repeat for Island, Mountain, Plains, and Swamp.
To install simply unzip to your CardArtManalink folder

1b. CardArtManalink Cumulative folder (19303 images)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d33ogvlnfp3tjcz/CardArtManalink_Cumulative_July2018.zip

Same as above, except this is a full CardArtManalink folder. Use this if you are installing from scratch (again, no matter which version you have).

2. Optional Art

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cum87yrc24d21rp/OptionalCardArt_July2018.zip

This includes art that, while released on official Magic cards, may not fit with everyone's desired aesthetic. Included are:
  • Optional Morph & Manifest Overlays which overwrites the simple cardback art for face down cards
  • San Diego ComicCon promo art
  • Semi-official art for the token created by Riptide Replicator & Volrath's Laboratory
  • New battlefield art based on Planechase cards
Install these to CardArtManalink, except in the case of the battlefield art, which should go into the DuelArt folder.

3. Updated Card Frames

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d3h32343n6uwrd8/New%20Frames%20July%202018.zip

This includes the current card frames introduced in Magic 2015, as well as a set of token frames. Older versions of Manalink/Shandalar (before M15, obv) won't support this package. (FWIW, Aswan Jaguar's install will support these frames)
This package also includes an updated Duel.dat, so it will overwrite any changes you may have made to this file.

Please PM me or comment below if you have any installation questions. Thanks! -d66

[Edit - updated 7/6/18 to fix errors & oversights]
Last edited by drool66 on 09 Jun 2020, 01:04, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unsticky - outdated
drool66
Programmer

Re: Art Patch July 2018 for all versions

Postby Korath » 06 Jul 2018, 03:26

"no matter which version" isn't quite accurate; until fairly recently (the commit was on March 27 2016, so the first release of Manalink/Shandalar after that), the number of different images for each card name had to be set in Manalink.csv. So you won't be able to see the full set of images with anything earlier.

Even older releases, prior to December 27 2013, have different filename conventions for card titles with non-alphanumeric names.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Korath » 06 Jul 2018, 05:36

Some analysis of CardArtManalink_Cumulative_July2018.zip.

"___ The Aether Flues.jpg" (current spelling of the card) and "___ The _ther Flues.jpg" (old spelling) differ. So do "Vedalken _thermage.jpg" and "Vedalken Aethermage.jpg".

"Cinder Barrens (2).jpg" and "Cinder Barrens (3).jpg" have the same original art. So do "Dragon (6).jpg"/"Dragon (11).jpg", "Silvergill Adept (1).jpg"/"Silvergill Adept (2).jpg", "Soldier (14).jpg"/"Soldier (15).jpg", "Soldier (16).jpg"/"Soldier (17).jpg", "Soldier (18).jpg"/"Soldier (19).jpg".

"Doran, the Seige Tower (1).jpg" is misspelled; it should be "Doran, the Siege Tower (1).jpg".

The fifth-edition art for Erg Raiders has gone missing; I just see the Arabian Nights and M25 versions.

"Goblin Ambush.jpg" isn't a card. It's got the same original art as "Goblin Assault.jpg", which is.

What source did you use for "Krosan Grip.jpg"? It looks very different from the versions I've seen, like it's missing a couple of layers. Compare to the Time Spiral scan.

"Rishidan Port (1).jpg" is a misspelling of "Rishadan Port (1).jpg" and has the same original art. Same with "Torach's Gate.jpg"/"Tourach's Gate.jpg", "Werewolf of Ancient Lore.jpg"/"Werewolf of Ancient Hunger.jpg", and "Will-o-the-Wisp (1).jpg"/"Will-o'-the-Wisp (1).jpg".

There's a "Timber Gorge (3).jpg" but no "Timber Gorge (2).jpg".

The version of Krosan Grip, the missing Erg Raiders, and some missing Soldiers from my install dir attached.
Attachments
Erg Raiders (2).jpg
Krosan Grip.jpg
Soldier (15).jpg
Soldier (17).jpg
Soldier (19).jpg
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Korath » 06 Jul 2018, 05:57

And another variant each of Balance, Divert, Graveborn token, Phosphorescent Feast, Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker, Silkwrap, Sunken Hollow, Thopter Assembly, and Unsubstantiate. I haven't gone through the basic lands, and I haven't included anything that didn't have at least one version in CardArtManalink_Cumulative_July2018.zip - too much effort to sort through which cards haven't ever had a public release.
Attachments
variants.zip
(391.54 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby drool66 » 06 Jul 2018, 22:04

Thank you very much for going through these for me!

For now I still maintain both the "Ae" and "_" for legacy support for people with older versions, although I'm not updating the art with underscores. Please LMK what you think the best course of action is on these, as well as with all of the other "Ae" cards.

I've corrected the duplicates, overwrites, & misspellings & I'll soon re-upload the files. [Edit: links updated]

Yep, I accidentally used the wrong art for Krosan Grip - I think the one I used is the original, traditional painting, which must have been digitally augmented.

--

Your Balance (3) and Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker (1) are MTGO avatars. I used to have these in the optional images folder but I took them out when you started adding some of them in dev. I'd rather keep them out of canon.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Divert & Phosphorescent feast are not in a public version of Manalink or Shandalar, to my knowledge. The art you provided I have in my "Added in Dev" folder.

I took that Graveborn token out since it is non-MTG and we now have semi-official WoTC art from MTGO. You can see it used here: https://www.amazon.com/Freeport-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Adventure-Levels/dp/0970104812
Sunken Hollow (2) looks like the bottom of the art from the Zendikar Expedition, whereas Sunken Hollow (1) is the top. I did something similar for Wastes and Wastes (2) and Lightning Bolt (2) and (3). I could probably do it for most of the Expeditions, and many of the other full-art cards - it's an interesting idea, maybe a future project.

Thank you for cueing me in to the Silkwrap, Unsubstantiate, and Thopter Assembly reprints - somehow I missed those in my queue.
drool66
Programmer

Postby Korath » 06 Jul 2018, 23:11

If you're going to include Vedalkin _thermage.jpg - and, yes, you really should, since the Æ-to-Ae card name changes happened after the FRF update - it seems inconsistent for it to be different from Vedalkin Aethermage.jpg. Same with The Aether Flues.

MTGO Avatars - I wasn't aware of the provenance. On the other hand, neither of them have rules text.

I included the additional Phosphorescent Feast image because there was one in the zip. Same with Divert, except, um, apparently I was mistaken about there being one in the zip.

The Graveborn token's from the digital token set announced in this thread (CCGHQ More Releases > Digital Tokens > ALL Tokens). It was my understanding they were all sourced from MTGO. Irritating, though at least I hadn't gone through all of them yet.

(Though on that subject, any ideas what to use for Antelope and Elf tokens, as created by the Master of the Wild Hunt and Elvish Champion vanguards? Elvish Champion is in Manalink, so it was a bug that it makes a Llanowar Elves in release; the dev version properly makes an Elf.)
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby drool66 » 07 Jul 2018, 00:50

If you're going to include Vedalkin _thermage.jpg - and, yes, you really should, since the Æ-to-Ae card name changes happened after the FRF update - it seems inconsistent for it to be different from Vedalkin Aethermage.jpg. Same with The Aether Flues.
Cool - I'll do that from now on.
MTGO Avatars - I wasn't aware of the provenance. On the other hand, neither of them have rules text.
Ya, I've been tempted to include some of the MTGO avatars without rules text as alternate art, but even if I did it would have to be a judgement call since most of them are so cartooney.
Compare Bottle Gnomes (Awesome)
Bottle Gnomes ().jpg

with Platinum Angel (We Yugioh now)
Platinum Angel ().jpg

I included the additional Phosphorescent Feast image because there was one in the zip. Same with Divert, except, um, apparently I was mistaken about there being one in the zip.
And, um, I don't know how Phosphorescent Feast got into the cumulative folder...
The Graveborn token's from the digital token set announced in this thread (CCGHQ More Releases > Digital Tokens > ALL Tokens). It was my understanding they were all sourced from MTGO.
FWIW, I believe we have every official token art except for three from Unglued. [Edit: N/M I just got them - we should have them all now in the updated files]
(Though on that subject, any ideas what to use for Antelope and Elf tokens, as created by the Master of the Wild Hunt and Elvish Champion vanguards? Elvish Champion is in Manalink, so it was a bug that it makes a Llanowar Elves in release; the dev version properly makes an Elf.)
These don't have their own official art - MTGO uses the art for Emerald Oryx and the ABUR art for Llanowar Elves, respectively. :? I'll put that art in "Added in Dev" as Antelope.jpg and Elf.jpg - LMK if you would like something else.
drool66
Programmer

Return to ManaLink 3.0