It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:02

Text Size

which of manalink updates can be considered more stable?

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

which of manalink updates can be considered more stable?

Postby travolter » 23 Dec 2023, 10:48

I mean the most stable version with less random crashes. Usually I report bugs from cards.. but the crashes are something that really confused me and I dont know what to report (how to reproduce). With the last update I always have to stop playing because a crash.. not because I get bored. (Only used cards from alpha to dark expansions)

A question to the developers.
are these random crashes produced by new card rulings or mechanics implemented? Is there something that could be disabled in the config.txt what could make magic.exe more stable?
Since Im an oldie and I only need sets from alpha to fallen... or maybe extend it to visions, so I can live with the old cards and classic effects.

Cheers .. and happy xmas!
travolter

Re: which of manalink updates can be considered more stable?

Postby Wally » 24 Dec 2023, 04:40

I use the most recent update and almost exclusively use the older sets too. I can mostly complete a play session without crashes. I do get a random CTD in maybe 1 in 4 sessions, parameter errors are not uncommon too. Titania's Song is guaranteed to bring trouble (long standing and well known)
Wally

Postby travolter » 26 Dec 2023, 14:53

ok, at least for me, my machines and setups .. after too much testing.. the first "stable" version (no random crashes after long time playing) is:

17 Sep 2021 - Proverbs, Myths & Fairy Tales v1.1
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=30488

Newer versions like
Happy Holidays 2021 - Channel Roasting on an Open Fireball
or
October 2022 - Rebels & Rhystics to Pathways & Pests
gives so much random crashes that makes imposible to finish a manalink 3 game session.

To developpers: Plz dont read this as a critic, its not my pourpose, just a testing report (that maybe fails only for me) or that maybe gives you a clue to future fixes or dig about where is the problem causing the crashes, or check what was changed in the engine from 17 Sep 2021 version to Happy Holidays 2021 that could cause troubles.
I reported many bugs in manalink and I would love to send a way to reproduce crashes for help but its totally impossible for me cause they are very random.

Im sorry if my report is a bit late (a delay of two updates) but I was busy in real life and no time to play with calm until now :)
travolter

Postby Wally » 26 Dec 2023, 22:36

gives so much random crashes that makes imposible to finish a manalink 3 game session.
OK well yes that would be annoying! I don't ctd at anything like that frequency. I did use to crash more often (never every 3 games though) but I think it got better after I purged my decks. I have renamed and categorised my playdecks so I can immediately see the year of magic it relates to (eg deck x contains cards released no later than 1994 so I assign it to 1994 etc)

I will post my playdeck set later. It might help (certainly has a lot of old school decks circa 1,000)
Wally

Postby travolter » 27 Dec 2023, 12:05

I also play old cards (magic93/94->> alpha to dark)olnly. Ill revise decks and check if it is somethings related to any of these cards bugs that have beed fixed in newer versions.

edit.- Just found a reproduceable bug with crash-- >guardian beast ;) Im hapy to catch this one.. Ill test for more
travolter

Postby Wally » 29 Dec 2023, 06:49

I posted the deckset I mentioned, might be of interest, v old school
Wally

Return to ManaLink 3.0