It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:53

Text Size

What now?

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

What now?

Postby GCSMtG » 28 Jan 2012, 16:17

I can sympathize with Swtorfan.

It literally took me hours of searching on these forums before I could get "mok's 2k patch", the cardart and other assorted files working.

With the wiki if you follow the instructions, you will get a working program and file structure.

*Latest Code Patch (required): http://www.mediafire.com/?tj5685wvogvz5aj
*Non-Card Art (required): http://www.mediafire.com/file/nzgzzjzuh ... rd_art.zip
Alternative server for non-card art : http://rapidshare.com/files/404516253/n ... t.zip.html
*Card art in Constructed and Limited mode : http://www.mediafire.com/?h2cb2atdlz2qqeu
I have often found myself lookin at the above section of the installation instructions page and thinking:

"Are these really the latest files? The people on the forums are talking about some totally different shit. What the hell is this MagicNL, csv2dat.exe, CardArtGY_NL_20111103, etc etc"

If you don't have intimate knowledge of the program then prepare yourself for a tedious trial-and-error process.

I constantly make backups of my magic directory in case guy X's update, cardart, .dll, .csv whatever overwrites or is incompatible with the original file.

Over these past couple months we've seen the 2k card limit obstacle obliterated. That was essentially the achille's heel of this project.

Now there can (hopefully) be one version, one set of installation instructions, and a common pool of cards.

-------

To me, building decks is the core of the game and the part I most enjoy. We've now got a solid deck editor with all the cards that have been coded and space for the foreseeable future.

So now what?

I can build any deck I wish now but the actual gameplay leaves something to be desired.

Duels are ok, they work mechanically and there is rules enforcement but i think we can all agree the AI is weak.

The gauntlet challenge aspect was fun...

Sealed deck and drafting have to be the most entertaining gameplay. I still find myself doing a sealed deck draft with no clue whether the 2 starter decks of 8th edition i selected will result in actual 8th edition cards being in my pool.

EDIT: sorry for the rant :) just wanted to kinda give my feedback having found this software a couple years ago and lurking on the forums ever since. I'd like to see what other people's thoughts are on the manalink going forward...

Edited by Stassy
GCSMtG

Re: What now?

Postby stassy » 28 Jan 2012, 17:47

Sorry GCSMtG, although we respect and thank you for your interest and help in making alive a so old game, there are some things that are still not allowed as of now, per respect for jatill, the Challenges creator. Unless he states the contrary, the Challenges must be beaten the normal way, and any others way will not be allowed to be publicly shown in this forum.

The wiki is no longer maintained until now, because historically patches were so numerous that it was hard to find a file host and alternatives (the fact that the wiki need another login must be the other reason).
I must be the culprit on that case, since I was maintaining the install section and I let it rot when I seen people rather ask in the forum thread instead of the wiki :^o

Now that ML3 is out, I guess we can have another start, I will try to have a peek and update the pages, but as a forum user you also have the ability to do it. :D
stassy

Re: What now?

Postby Althuna » 08 Feb 2012, 00:35

I think in the future it would be good to just host the entire game as one file. Either a ZIP or an EXE that self extracts or something. If it is too big to host then maybe use bit torrent for it or something.

That would be a good way to get more people playing the game because then they don't have to follow all the instructions to get it working. They could just download one file and play :)

Then hopefully with more players there will be more people to help out adding new cards and features and maybe there could be a donations page to help support people who work on this game?
Althuna

Return to ManaLink 3.0