It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:19

Text Size

World of Drongojor

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

World of Drongojor

Postby Enchanteur » 08 Mar 2012, 10:22

The idea is to make an independant game that look like a evolution of Shandalar game.
Instead of use Shandalar complicated hexa code, it could be more easy to make a new game, and use the Manalink engine for the duels phases.
So, the only question is how an independant program can communicate with Manalink ?
Is it possible to launch a Duel from an independant program ?
Is it possible to inject the player Deck and the AI Deck in this Duel ?
Is it possible to inject some specials rules (AI with more or less HP, with a card into play, Player with a special power like pay 5 at anytime in order to draw a card, extra card not in the hand that can be casted one time in the duel, etc...).
Is it possible to inform the external game about the result of the manalink Duel ?

I've a lot of ideas, but in view to make something easy to code.
So, no real time like in Shandalar. A turn by turn game, with a big map fractionned by sectors.
Player character move on Tiles.
Game is a RPG. Caracter have some caracteristics, like "Life, Copy max of a card in the deck, Speed, Maximum number of card in collection, etc...).
When caracter level up, he get some points and can increase some stats.
He can buy or find helpful objects.
He use gold, food, and colored gems.
He visit Villages, Towns and Citys.
He can discover hiddens places, like Lairs, Dungeons, etc..
He encounters some differents caracters in the village/town/citys, and can pay them for specials services or informations.
He can accept some quests, or fight in tournaments.
He make random monster encounters in the wild.
Some sectors are more dangerous than anothers.
And if it's possible to code, he can free some Legends. Then these legends will help him.

I've tried to make this RPG game for a real life playing (because I've a lot of cards).
But it's difficult because it require to make a big number of cards stacks (20 !).
I've made some tables of random encounter, and create some objects, fixed cost of cards, made some tables about random cards that can be buy in the places.
Tables use Dice roll.
This game could incorpore the Challenges ideas, with specials rules in somes places or against some ennemys.
And this game could be far better than Shandalar, because Shandalar is not balanced at all, and not very difficult.
You get 5 contract from below and a lot of mox in your deck, and game is over !

Story could be this :
The world of Drongojor is menaced by the powerfull 10 legendary Dragons.
All of them are commanded by the dictator Chromat, than want to rule all colors of the magic.
Like in Shandalar, Dragons sends some evil guys to conquer citys of the world, and player must counter them.
Enchanteur

Re: World of Drongojor

Postby stassy » 08 Mar 2012, 11:54

Like Mok said, it's easier to completely recode a magic rule engine than to try to Raise Dead a 20 year old game for this kind of project (the latest version of Forge is doing well with its RPG version).

We still have to find the whereabout of all the code left in duel mode, and special modes often turn into a bugfest, I'd like to have a more stable duel version before trying to jump into a quest mode.
stassy

Postby Enchanteur » 08 Mar 2012, 15:38

Ok, so I don't work on this now.
Thk.
Enchanteur

Postby Enchanteur » 13 Mar 2012, 12:41

Hey !

I have tested a lot Forge. And it's a great soft too.
Manalink and Forge have their own qualitys and lacks.

But the Quest mode is damn addictive !
Manalink really need something like this !
Enchanteur

Return to ManaLink 3.0