It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:51

Text Size

Showdown's Modern Card Frames Graphic Update

Continuing Development of MicroProse's Magic: The Gathering!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Showdown's Modern Card Frames Graphic Update

Postby Showdown » 08 Aug 2012, 15:26

Hello,

This is my first post on these forums. I've had the old school Microprose DotP CD for a long time, and I've played the game tons. I had no idea there was an update like Manalink 3.0 available, and after doing a quick search, I am now in heaven!

Anyway, I've created some modern card frame graphics that I think most will enjoy. Of course, it's impossible to make the cards look exactly like modern cards due to restrictions like card art sizing and placement and text position, but I think I've come up with something that comes as close as you can get.

Here's a preview of some in game cards with the new frames:

Preview.jpg
Modern Card Frames Preview

And here's the download:

Showdown's Modern Card Frames.zip
Showdown's Modern Card Frames
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 420 times

Just unzip the "CardArt" Folder to your main Manalink Directory (where Magic.exe is) and overwrite the files. Back up your current CardArt folder just in case you don't like my update.

NOTE! For best results, I suggest editing your DuelArt/duel.dat file (you can edit it with notepad, by changing "sizeBigCardSubtitle" to "14" and "sizeBigCardText" to "12". I have the font update from another download, so hopefully you've got it too!

Thanks, and any feedback on these is appreciated!

Showdown

P.S. If anyone knows how to change the font colour on the in-game cards, I would love to change the card titles and types to black so they would look even more like modern cards.
Showdown

Re: Showdown's Modern Card Frames Graphic Update

Postby ozks » 08 Aug 2012, 23:56

thanks Showdown for the art, really nice...
ozks

Postby CirothUngol » 09 Aug 2012, 00:30

Yes, they look great... at least I think they do. I haven't played Paper-Magic since the late '90s, so I've never actually seen a real card that looks like that.

...still, very nice. Thanx for sharing.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Bog Wraith » 19 Aug 2012, 14:38

This is very welcomed indeed! Really like this. I especially like the activation of cards that are shown in that pinkish/mauve colour. Gorgeous & it stands out for easy recognition.

Slowly but surely the graphics of this game are being upgraded to make the game look more like the modern version, as best as can be, given the restrictions from the original MicroProse release.

Outstanding work my boy! =D> 8)
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby gmzombie » 19 Aug 2012, 17:43

i like these new borders and whatnot but i wish we could have programmed a variation where if your cards are from x year and before they would be original border and from x and on the new borders...just for the sake of correctness..but wouldnt even know where to start on that lol..
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Showdown » 20 Aug 2012, 20:24

I know exactly what you mean, that would be incredible. Then you would know what is Modern legal when using the deck builder.

Still waiting for someone to figure out how to change the font colour of card names and type lines to black
Showdown

Postby TwisteD » 24 Sep 2012, 20:39

How about adding distinct frames for hybrid cards if possible?That would look cool i guess. For now they are using multicolored cards frames.
TwisteD

Postby Showdown » 25 Sep 2012, 17:19

I could make the hybrid card frames, but the game doesn't distinguish between gold and hybrid cards, so it wouldn't us the frames. I'm pretty good with graphics, but not too solid with coding and programming, so I don't know if or how that can be done.
Showdown

Postby heartofdestany » 09 Dec 2012, 13:28

Just a qucik question how does one creat a pick file? Sorry if I sound dumb or am asking somthing I'm not supposed to. I just haven't figured it out yet and would like to be able to do what you do and make cool game art. Would you help me out? I might make my mod available to the public.I'd realy enjoy contributing for once
"Isn't the shortest route through the canyon?"
"Yes."
"So shouldn't we—"
"No."
heartofdestany

Postby ozks » 11 Dec 2012, 12:22

heartofdestany wrote:Just a qucik question how does one creat a pick file? Sorry if I sound dumb or am asking somthing I'm not supposed to. I just haven't figured it out yet and would like to be able to do what you do and make cool game art. Would you help me out? I might make my mod available to the public.I'd realy enjoy contributing for once
the last manalink 3.0 can handle .bmp images. you can edit a image bmp and just change the ext to .pic and that all. and edit on photosho... or Gimp or something similar
ozks

Postby heartofdestany » 14 Dec 2012, 06:16

Sweet! Thank you so much.
"Isn't the shortest route through the canyon?"
"Yes."
"So shouldn't we—"
"No."
heartofdestany

Return to ManaLink 3.0