It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 08:39

Text Size

Have you used Incantus or Firemox?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Have you used Incantus or Firemox?

Postby mtgrares » 19 Mar 2009, 18:44

Has anyone ever used Incantus? I've played a few games against myself but I haven't played online. It has a ton of cards and rules enforcement, so it should be pretty good. I've attached a screenshot of Incantus, it shows a ton of abilities on the stack. (I'm secretly jealous of Incantus user interface.)

And while I'm on the topic, has anyone used Firemox?
Attachments
hugestack.JPG
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: What you used Incantus or Firemox?

Postby Chris H. » 19 Mar 2009, 18:52

mtgrares wrote:Has anyone ever used Incantus? I've played a few games against myself but I haven't played online. It has a ton of cards and rules enforcement, so it should be pretty good. I've attached a screenshot of Incantus, it shows a ton of abilities on the stack. (I'm secretly jealous of Incantus user interface.)
I tried Incantus for Linux on my Macintosh and had no luck. I am not sure if it was this program or another that required Python. I remember trying to install Python and I had too may problems.

And while I'm on the topic, has anyone used Firemox?
I had more luck in getting Firemox to run. I set up two copies running at the same time playing one copy against the other. Modem dial up and it's slowness and a lack of a centralized server where we could meet and play against other opponents convinced me to come back to Forge.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 19 Mar 2009, 18:55

I've tried Incantus, it has indeed an awesome user interface :) It seems that incantus and MageKing also really know their stuff programming-wise, they've done a great job in their design. It would be even more awesome if they would implement an AI [-o<
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Re: Have you used Incantus or Firemox?

Postby mtgrares » 19 Mar 2009, 19:34

I tried Incantus for Linux on my Macintosh and had no luck. I am not sure if it was this program or another that required Python. I remember trying to install Python and I had too may problems.
Incantus was actually written on a Mac but yes it does use Python.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 19 Mar 2009, 19:57

I've used Incantus and played online with it. I think it has the best interface of any of the card playing games. I may have tried Firemox in the past, but I forget. I think I've tried them all. :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 19 Mar 2009, 20:01

I was never able to get Incantus to startup.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby Incantus » 22 Mar 2009, 20:50

DennisBergkamp wrote:I've tried Incantus, it has indeed an awesome user interface :) It seems that incantus and MageKing also really know their stuff programming-wise, they've done a great job in their design. It would be even more awesome if they would implement an AI [-o<
Huggybaby wrote:I've used Incantus and played online with it. I think it has the best interface of any of the card playing games. I may have tried Firemox in the past, but I forget. I think I've tried them all. :)
Wow, thanks for the compliments. I actually don't like the UI all that much (but more from a coding perspective - the code is just a mess). Anyway, when I have some free time again (probably not until August) I want to redo the interface to be more like the new Duels of the Planeswalkers game.
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Incantus

Postby mtgrares » 23 Mar 2009, 19:28

Incantus is a good program. MTG Forge will be doing good to have an user interface half as good and supports half as many cards as Incantus. (Hopefully incantus1's head won't explode from all the compliment, lol.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Incantus

Postby Incantus » 23 Mar 2009, 22:25

mtgrares wrote:Incantus is a good program. MTG Forge will be doing good to have an user interface half as good and supports half as many cards as Incantus. (Hopefully incantus1's head won't explode from all the compliment, lol.)
Ahh, but at least MTGForge has a AI. It's definitely fun to play MtG without a human opponent. I don't think I'll ever be able to add any sort of AI to Incantus - maybe my next project will port the main rules engine to an advanced compiled language like D or smalltalk so that a minimax type AI would be feasible.
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby mtgrares » 24 Mar 2009, 17:52

Yes I can play land destruction against the AI and not feel guilty :) I'm slowly working on version 2.0 which will hopefully use minimax. Approximiately what version is Incantus on? I presume at leat 2.0. And out of curiosity, does Incantus implement all of the cards in Shards of Alara? One of my goals is to implement a whole block which would make "block constructed", sealed, and draft more fun.

Keep up the good work incantus1 and I'll try to follow the best I can :wink:
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Incantus » 24 Mar 2009, 18:43

mtgrares wrote:Yes I can play land destruction against the AI and not feel guilty :) I'm slowly working on version 2.0 which will hopefully use minimax. Approximiately what version is Incantus on? I presume at leat 2.0. And out of curiosity, does Incantus implement all of the cards in Shards of Alara? One of my goals is to implement a whole block which would make "block constructed", sealed, and draft more fun.

Keep up the good work incantus1 and I'll try to follow the best I can :wink:
Well, the version numbers for Incantus are kinda meaningless. We reverted to using revision numbers as the naming scheme, to know exactly where problems might be found when they are reported.

According to the card editor, 139/145 Conflux cards are implemented, and 222/234 Shards of Alara cards. I can't take credit, though. I haven't implemented any of the Alara cards. It's mostly been Marek, TheScient, and MageKing. Here's a screenshot of the current implementation levels for recent expansions:

current_implemented.png
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Wow

Postby mtgrares » 24 Mar 2009, 19:14

Those are some great numbers. I know other people have helped to add new cards but you made the card editor easy to use which is very hard.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 24 Mar 2009, 19:29

incantus1 wrote:According to the card editor, 139/145 Conflux cards are implemented, and 222/234 Shards of Alara cards. I can't take credit, though. I haven't implemented any of the Alara cards. It's mostly been Marek, TheScient, and MageKing. Here's a screenshot of the current implementation levels for recent expansions:
Wow, you've got a good chunk of all the recent sets.... The main reason Shards and Conflux are our best represented sets is because a greater percentage of the sets have simple mechanics, though I don't have any data to back that up... yet.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Re: Wow

Postby Incantus » 24 Mar 2009, 20:39

mtgrares wrote:Those are some great numbers. I know other people have helped to add new cards but you made the card editor easy to use which is very hard.
Yeah, that's what happens when you'd rather write cool web apps instead of writing a crappy ass dissertation (ie real world)
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Postby Incantus » 24 Mar 2009, 20:49

Rob Cashwalker wrote:Wow, you've got a good chunk of all the recent sets.... The main reason Shards and Conflux are our best represented sets is because a greater percentage of the sets have simple mechanics, though I don't have any data to back that up... yet.
Yeah, the older sets haven't had as much systematic implementation (also, the totals for each expansion include cards that are in multiple expansions). The Alara cards are all fairly easy and were pretty much able to be implemented without any rules engine changes (except to add some of the keyword actions/abilities). I think the current count is about 3000 tested cards and about 6300 unimplemented cards. A lot of the unimplemented ones are also pretty simple, they just require somebody to write them. Also, I'm not too concerned about the pre-Sixth edition cards that have had problems under the new rules.

The hardest cards are the ones that are introspective (for example, Reflecting Pool - it needs to somehow create a list of all possible mana abilities that are on your lands, taking into account what can actually be generated at that moment. Currently, I don't see any way to do that correctly in all cases). I'm not sure if I'll ever get to a rules engine that can do 100% of the cards (I still have to implement some way of doing proper dependency for continuous effects), but then again, I'm not sure MTGO can do it either ;)
Incantus
DEVELOPER

Next

Return to Forge