It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:41

Text Size

Momir Vig-like variant

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Momir Vig-like variant

Postby sidereal » 06 Jun 2013, 05:21

I know Momir is a popular format elsewhere and it's nice that it's now functional in Forge, but it's a bit of a chore to use and it reminds me that there are some changes I think would improve it. My gripes with it are (in no particular order):

1. It takes a lot of steps to set up. You have to select Vanguard, select a single opponent, pick the Momir Vig Avatar for both players, create a custom deck with only lands, and pick that deck for both players. That's a lot of steps for something that should really be the same game every time.
  2. Having Momir in the tabbed command zone requires a lot of clicking back and forth.
  3. Momir creates only tokens, which means that the creatures it creates never exist in the graveyard, hand, or library which renders a huge number of creature abilities complete blanks (Chandra's Phoenix, Elvish Piper) and overpowers others (Aether Adept)
  4. Limiting the permanents he finds to creatures is less fun than including at least planeswalkers (and maybe artifacts and enchantments).

So to deal with those gripes I created a variant (called Chaos Portal) that relies on a card that changes possession instead of an avatar (though it's really hard to interact with, with both shroud and indestructible) and allows for picking the kind of permanents you want to be able to summon. And they're actual cards instead of tokens, so they go to the graveyard and potentially the hand, etc.

Here's the card itself:
and I've attached some shots of the game setup and play.

I realize this is a little far out there with a custom card. What's the right process to support a Variant like this if people are interested?
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-06-05 at 10.16.50 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-06-05 at 10.15.07 PM.png
sidereal

Re: Momir Vig-like variant

Postby Max mtg » 06 Jun 2013, 07:55

2 - you can drag you command zone tab side-by-side with battlefield and then adjust its dimensions
Single class for single responsibility.
Max mtg
Programmer

Re: Momir Vig-like variant

Postby friarsol » 06 Jun 2013, 12:20

Another possibility for 2 that max posted, click on the "Flashback/External Zone" button. Also, you only need to create a deck once, and you may want to tweak that deck in between plays, just like a normal deck.

I don't think there's any plans for adding user made variants at this time, although yours kinda sounds like http://www.gatheringmagic.com/mojhostos/
friarsol
Global Moderator

Return to Forge