It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:09

Text Size

Invasion Pain Lands

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Invasion Pain Lands

Postby mtgrares » 13 Apr 2009, 20:43

The 10 land cycle of Invasion pain lands work, they are shown here. When you tap them for colored mana your life points just go down a point, the ability is not put on the stack. Also if you don't have enough mana to pay for a spell and you tap a pain land for color and then cancel, your life points will still be decreased. The AI doesn't receive any damage when it taps a pain land for colored mana.

This is "old code" that I found when I was researching hybrid mana, I forgot it was here. So you can add the pain lands RIGHT NOW to MTG Forge if you want to.

Shivan Reef
no cost
Land
no text
tap: add 1
tap: add U
tap: add R
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Invasion Pain Lands

Postby DennisBergkamp » 13 Apr 2009, 20:52

Awesome :)

I will also add these pain lands to the list of lands that are threaded whenever the "Stack AI Land" option is checked.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 13 Apr 2009, 20:54

The code is in Input_PayManaCostUtil.tapCard() which has a listing of all the pain lands. (I'm just telling you this in case you need to change it in the future or add new cards.) There is probably a better way of implementing the pain lands, but this hacky way will do for now.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby GandoTheBard » 13 Apr 2009, 22:45

While I think it is cool that you got this working the fact that the AI doesn't take pain and that you cant (effectively) cancel makes these lands strictly alpha imho. In otherwords I do not recommend you add them into Cards.txt in any of the updates until those issues are resolved.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 14 Apr 2009, 06:32

I noticed this hack as well, and through that, I proposed that we might be able to change the code to accept "pain: add _" alongside the "tap: add _". Do you think this would be as simple as I think it is?
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 15 Apr 2009, 20:19

The problem with the AI is that it just looks at the mana cost. Something "extra" would have to be added which tells it to deal damage. The way the AI pays for mana is different than the way the human player pays for mana. Both players use ManaCost underneath but the human player interacts through the user interface while the AI just uses ManaCost and the damage is dealt by the user interface "pay mana" component and not by ManaCost.

I hope that makes sense. Just getting anying working halfway is hard and getting things to work (near) 100% is much, much harder.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Return to Forge