It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:04

Text Size

Heavy Performance Issues

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Heavy Performance Issues

Postby feryaz » 23 Jun 2013, 12:42

Hey,
I've been playing and enjoyed forge a lot the last days, but since yesterday I can't due to performance issues. The UI responses slow and the turns while playing need very long. When I hold down in a list of cards it skips like 10 every time, while it were perfectly smooth before.

I'm running beta 1.4.1 on the latest macbook pro retina 15" with 16GB RAM in bootcamp WIN 7.
Before it happened I've played quest mode and tried to optimize the HQ images so every card will be shown. As there are many sources and some aren't named correctly and aren't complete it got 6GB big now with 45000 files and some are really big.

So I thought that's the problem and renamed the two forge folders in the appdata. But even without any settings, decks and images it's still exactly as slow as before. So I tried to download it new, giving it more RAM and installing Java 7 25. All without success and I really don't know what to try anymore.
I could install eclipse and make some tests if there's any tut on how to add the source and how to test the execution times.
Hope for help ;)
Regards
Feryaz
feryaz

Re: Heavy Performance Issues

Postby saturnine » 23 Jun 2013, 15:25

Personally, I've just wiped my image folder when it got too unwieldy and redownloaded from this guy: http://mark.tvk.rwth-aachen.de/software/forge/
saturnine

Postby feryaz » 23 Jun 2013, 21:24

Thanks for the hint, seems like only modern masters is missing now. Maybe I play my next quest without it or download them manually. But 227 cards...

As for the problem I've tried it on OSX now and it works perfectly. Even with all data from the win version.
Sadly the OSX version has some other problems with error messages in deck editor.
As I understood that's already fixed for the next snapshot, or better the current if there would be a version for OSX.
At least it works sometimes, so I can play again.

Is there anything else I could reset in windows? Like a registry entry?
Another system change I made was to install AutoHotKey to mass rename the image files, could it be related?
Regards
feryaz

Postby friarsol » 24 Jun 2013, 01:24

feryaz wrote:Thanks for the hint, seems like only modern masters is missing now. Maybe I play my next quest without it or download them manually. But 227 cards...
Generally, we release cards before the pics are available, since a different team is in charge of them. As everyone does, just gotta be patient until the HQ Pics are released and ready.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Max mtg » 24 Jun 2013, 08:47

For now only LQ pics exist for MMA. A download link can be found in a sibling thread devoted to that edition.
Single class for single responsibility.
Max mtg
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 24 Jun 2013, 12:34

feryaz wrote:As for the problem I've tried it on OSX now and it works perfectly. Even with all data from the win version.
Sadly the OSX version has some other problems with error messages in deck editor.
As I understood that's already fixed for the next snapshot, or better the current if there would be a version for OSX.
At least it works sometimes, so I can play again.

You can launch the Windows/unix version from the terminal window from Mac OS X. I do this all the time. I placed the terminal commands into a command file/shell script as this allows me to simply double click on the command file/shell script file and forge will launch.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby timmermac » 24 Jun 2013, 12:46

My recommendation would be to avoid HQ pics completely, and get the LQ set downloads from within Forge. HQ pics have shown too much of a tendency towards bogging performance down in Forge.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby feryaz » 24 Jun 2013, 18:49

friarsol wrote:Generally, we release cards before the pics are available, since a different team is in charge of them. As everyone does, just gotta be patient until the HQ Pics are released and ready.
Dont wanted to push somebody or request it. It just breaks the game for me so I prefer to not use an edition instead of reading the cards over and over.

Max mtg wrote:For now only LQ pics exist for MMA. A download link can be found in a sibling thread devoted to that edition.
Thanks!

Chris H. wrote:You can launch the Windows/unix version from the terminal window from Mac OS X. I do this all the time. I placed the terminal commands into a command file/shell script as this allows me to simply double click on the command file/shell script file and forge will launch.
May you share the content? Or is it the same as the .bat file I made in windows to give it more ram? Tried to replace the content in the application folder, but it didn't launched anymore.

timmermac wrote:My recommendation would be to avoid HQ pics completely, and get the LQ set downloads from within Forge. HQ pics have shown too much of a tendency towards bogging performance down in Forge.
But that doesn't seems the case for this problem. It worked perfectly and now it doesn't even work without images anymore. For what you mean the performance would slowly go down the more images there are, but it happend from one second to another after a restart. It must be another problem.

Regards
feryaz

Postby Chris H. » 24 Jun 2013, 20:22

Download and extract the archive below. The forge.command file must be placed in the root level of the windows version of forge.

The forge.command file when double clicked will launch the terminal app and will enter a few commands which in turn will launch the jar file with a with an increased java heap space.

You can load the forge.command file into the TextEdit app and you can see the commands. Note the name of the forge jar file in the forge.command file.

As new versions of forge are release you will need to edit the forge.command file to match the name of the new jar file.

Attachments
forge.command.zip
(650 Bytes) Downloaded 169 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 24 Jun 2013, 20:24

We appreciate the bug report. People who are new to the Forge forum should read this topic as it contains useful information: How to Provide a Useful Bug Report.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Jesseing » 09 Jul 2013, 07:55

My own advice is usually to steer clear of Secret headquarters pics entirely, and acquire the actual LQ set downloads available from within Forge. Home office images show too much of a tendency in the direction of bogging efficiency down in Create.
Jesseing

Return to Forge