It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:40

Text Size

I can't seem to do fast-effects after damage is on stack?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

I can't seem to do fast-effects after damage is on stack?

Postby Haytrid » 26 Jul 2013, 15:18

I have been having a rough go of trying to do fast-effects after damage goes on the stack. Shouldn't this still be possible?

Two examples:

I have Gore Vassal out. Computer attacks with a 2/2 and 1/1 creature. Shouldn't I be able to block the 2/2 with Gore Vassal, wait for damage to go on the stack, then sac Gore Vassal to kill the 1/1 creature? (understanding that it still does it's damage to me).

Also, computer attacks with a 6/3 enchanted with my Agoraphobia, I block with a 3/3 shouldn't I be able to wait until damage goes on the stack, then return Agoraphobia to my hand and that should prevent the computers 6/3(1/3) from destroying my creature?

It seems once I declare my blockers I have one shot to do fast effects then when I continue past the DB step it seems to just cycle through all the damage phases instantly and everything resolves and then it becomes end of combat. I have even had to use my regeneration at the declare blockers step as I don't seem to have a chance to use it during the damage steps.

Am I doing something wrong or are damage phases not an exact science in Forge yet?

Thanks!
Haytrid

Re: I can't seem to do fast-effects after damage is on stack

Postby lightbeetle » 26 Jul 2013, 15:55

Since the M2010 rules changes, damage no longer uses the stack.
lightbeetle

Postby Haytrid » 26 Jul 2013, 16:20

Ahhh, wow, not sure how I missed that memo! No more damage shenanigans, too bad, I always loved that part. That explains it though, thank you!

So the final fast-effects is the DB step then. That means you have to always pre-regenerate creatures, and pre-damage prevent during the DB step now?
Haytrid

Postby friarsol » 26 Jul 2013, 19:12

Haytrid wrote:Ahhh, wow, not sure how I missed that memo! No more damage shenanigans, too bad, I always loved that part. That explains it though, thank you!

So the final fast-effects is the DB step then. That means you have to always pre-regenerate creatures, and pre-damage prevent during the DB step now?
Yep do everything during the declare blockers step, you won't know exactly how much damage will be dealt, just the ordering of blockers. Regeneration and prevention stopped being a different portion of the damage dealing since like 6th edition I believe.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Haytrid » 27 Jul 2013, 12:40

I play a LOT of Shandalar, keeps me reverting to that frame of thinking and lazy about reading up on rules changes. I think Forge may break me of my bad habits.
Haytrid

Return to Forge