It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:39

Text Size

Separate Quest and Draft files

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Separate Quest and Draft files

Postby mtgrares » 06 May 2009, 18:52

The quest mode and draft/sealed both share the files common.txt, uncommon.txt, rare.txt. I presume that everyone will agree that the quest mode should have it's own files. Is that right?

What is the best files (common.txt, etc..) for quest mode. I read somewhere the gando did something. Did he update his cube set or did he post any other files?
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Separate Quest and Draft files

Postby Vecc » 06 May 2009, 21:45

Dead-on, Rares. That would be very nice, considering there's a lot of cards that are fun to play with in Quest Mode, but take a good while building your cardpool to be playable (e.g Horde of Notions, a personal favorite 8)) - making it very unpractical for draft playing in general.

Separating both files would open possibilities for either exluding cards like that from draft mode, or more easily adapting a draft list that supports it (in Horde of Notions case, building a Lorwyn-esque set style, for example).

I have a couple rarity files I've been updating on my own for a while now, but I've left quite a number of technically "bad" cards in it for the sake of playing with cards I never would otherwise, relying a bit more on strategy, creativity, funny interactions (something between a Sligh deck and cute draft tricks with Peel From Reality). It's really a preference-based list, but I had no problems building nice decks from the start with it. I could post it once I update it with the cards in the newest Beta version. :)
Vecc

Postby GandoTheBard » 06 May 2009, 22:28

mtgrares wrote:The quest mode and draft/sealed both share the files common.txt, uncommon.txt, rare.txt. I presume that everyone will agree that the quest mode should have it's own files. Is that right?

What is the best files (common.txt, etc..) for quest mode. I read somewhere the gando did something. Did he update his cube set or did he post any other files?
Yes they should be separate. Clearly cubing to get the best cards in the game into quest mode and leaving out ALL the worst cards would be too much of an advantage for the player. Even bad players will have a serious edge if their choices are whether to run lightning bolt vs swords to plowshare (assuming they don't just splash for both.)

No I did not update my cubed set. I have been busy and not had the time to redo it nor the inclination frankly after the way I was attacked for doing it in the first place. But I will upload the commons file I retrieved off my old machine.
Attachments
commonalitiesforcubedset.zip
contains .txt files which for some godforsaken reason are prohibited.
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 06 May 2009, 23:17

mtgrares wrote:The quest mode and draft/sealed both share the files common.txt, uncommon.txt, rare.txt. I presume that everyone will agree that the quest mode should have it's own files. Is that right?

I realize that people will have their own preferences in this matter. I like to use the original rarities files myself. I enjoy getting a pool of cards that includes cards that are not the best. This allows me to hungrily view the packs of cards that I win. It is not uncommon for me to find a new card or two that is better than what I started with. =D>
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby mtgrares » 07 May 2009, 19:53

Using all of the cards with their original rarity is fine, I'm not sure about how the color balance and the balance between creatures and spells. Obviously you can put together some type of deck and that is the fun part. This is similar to drafting with no rarity, all of the cards are common, uncoomon, and rare. It is crazy but fun.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Chris H. » 07 May 2009, 21:14

mtgrares wrote:Using all of the cards with their original rarity is fine, I'm not sure about how the color balance and the balance between creatures and spells. Obviously you can put together some type of deck and that is the fun part. This is similar to drafting with no rarity, all of the cards are common, uncoomon, and rare. It is crazy but fun.
Using a strictly random system to generate the card pool may end up making it difficult for us. We might need some sort a semi-random method.

I just started an easy quest and my starting pool is 272 cards - 200 basic land = 72 non-land cards.

(Pause, there is a Divinity of Pride in here and a Chandra Nalaar, Oh my this could be fun)

There is only 1 enchantment, 3 instants and 2 sorceries in the starting pool.

My starting pool has enough creatures ... just not enough spells.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 08 May 2009, 05:17

That is because you are using the whole of the cards in MTGForge which are mainly creatures. If you want more noncreatures you need to take out creatures until you get a better ratio. I find that with both the cubed set (don't use it though) and the proportionate set I made you get more spells:creatures.

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 08 May 2009, 12:16

GandoTheBard wrote:That is because you are using the whole of the cards in MTGForge which are mainly creatures. If you want more noncreatures you need to take out creatures until you get a better ratio. I find that with both the cubed set (don't use it though) and the proportionate set I made you get more spells:creatures.
I started a quest with your set of play balanced rarities that are included in the forge 05-03 version.

I see 9 Instants and 8 Sorceries. Granted, I see less creatures with this increase in spells. But that would help in convincing people to create quest decks with a few less creatures and a few more spells. :D

I imagine that it must be hard work keeping these play balanced rarity files up to date.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 08 May 2009, 21:38

Hence I haven't done it in a while lol. I've also been spending a great deal of time on MODO so less time on my pet projects.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 11 May 2009, 19:39

GandoTheBard wrote:I've also been spending a great deal of time on MODO
Sleeping with the enemy are you? :shock:
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 11 May 2009, 20:58

I've been sleeping around myself quite a bit as well... her name is DotA. Oh, and there's another one named Mass Effect.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Vecc » 11 May 2009, 21:02

Mass Effect, TES: Oblivion and Fallout 3 should all be illegal. They go destroying people's life, you know. [-X
Vecc

Postby GandoTheBard » 11 May 2009, 21:22

Rob Cashwalker wrote:
GandoTheBard wrote:I've also been spending a great deal of time on MODO
Sleeping with the enemy are you? :shock:
Sleeping? is that what we are calling it now a days? How quaint. Anyway yep been busy rebuilding a lot of my old decks and exploring new ones though not so much with the new since my collection of cards past Futuresight is rather sparse.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 12 May 2009, 01:16

Well, then I must admit I've been playing a lot of Sim City 3k lately....
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Return to Forge