It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:21

Text Size

Quest mode lag...

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Quest mode lag...

Postby Chris H. » 21 May 2009, 00:38

atar wrote:I recently noted ,when playing the quest mode,that after a couple of games the program lags severely,especially during the battle phase when i have to push the "ok" button in order to procced.Does anyone have noted the same problem?I am using the latest version of the forge and the java runtime envir. and i have already disabled all the programs or the functions that i don't need while i am playing.Any suggestion will be welcomed.
Do you remember the name of the deck that the computer was using against you?
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 21 May 2009, 22:35

atar wrote:I lag almost always when there are many monsters in the screen,so i guess in all weenie/swarm decks.Plus i have witnessed lag in a mono blue deck that relies heavily in taking control of the opponets permanents (like with sower of temptetion,control magic etc.).Excuse me but i don't remember the name of the deck but i will check it.Thanks anyway for answering me.
My old 4 year old computer used to lag quite often when there were many monsters in play. My new computer does not have this problem. Certain cards can also cause the computer to slow down to a crawl.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby tchiseen » 01 Jun 2009, 05:20

I noticed this too.

It only happens in quest mode, and I don't think it's a certain deck that does it.

I'm running the program in W2000 compatibility, and it seems to have solved this problem...

In my opinion, I'd say it looks like a memory leak, as it always happens after a few rounds, and once you get lag in the first round of a match, it persists to the second round, meaning even with no critters out, it's still laggy.
tchiseen

Postby tchiseen » 01 Jun 2009, 08:22

I'm still getting the 'lag' in quest mode in compatibility mode.

The process says it's running at 50% CPU when it's lagging, but when I'm not doing anything it's not loading the CPU at all. It 'lags' mostly when hitting 'ok'.

EDIT: And I think it might have something to do with the number of cards in play. With 20+ Saproling tokens, it's really quite laggy for me.
Last edited by tchiseen on 01 Jun 2009, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
tchiseen

Postby frwololo » 01 Jun 2009, 09:09

tchiseen wrote: I'd say it looks like a memory leak
A Memory leak in Java? :-s
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby tchiseen » 01 Jun 2009, 10:18

frwololo wrote:A Memory leak in Java? :-s
I dunno, but it feels like one. I'm just trying to help describe it :)
tchiseen

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 01 Jun 2009, 16:52

Yeah, a memory leak... There were a number of data sets that weren't getting released between games in previous versions. Some of them were cleared up in a bug fix from (I think) jpb. There are a lot of copies of objects floating around in the code, and I wouldn't be surprised if a number of them never get "garbage collected".
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby tchiseen » 01 Jun 2009, 17:26

So is the problem with the version of the client I've downloaded?

I'm going to try downloading the most recent java and see if that helps.

Is this an issue that everyone gets, or is it uncommon. It would seem strange that people like me get it all the time, while others don't.
tchiseen

Postby DennisBergkamp » 01 Jun 2009, 17:51

No, it's not the version of your client... quite a few people have reported this.
It never bothered me (maybe I notice a slight slowdown after a few quest games, but nothing major), perhaps this is because my PC is pretty fast.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 01 Jun 2009, 17:52

MTG Forge used to get really slow after a few games so someone sent me some code to fix it, I forget who, which seems to fix the problem. MTG Forge may still need to be restarted occansionally. This problem affects all versions of MTG Forge and it has to do with my coding and not Java.

(The problem is that much of the program observes Phase, Phase.nextPhase() drives the whole program and the method calls keep getting deeper and deeper. Method A calls method B, which calls C and so on which uses up more and more CPU time and memory. I didn't realize that MTG Forge had this problem until it was finished and working, because I didn't use it for very long.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby tchiseen » 01 Jun 2009, 17:54

The slowdown on mine is quite drastic. My machine isn't bad, Intel E6600, 2GB RAM, 7900GS. I can't think my CPU would struggle with java, especially since it's only ever getting to 50% cpu use.
tchiseen

Postby mtgrares » 01 Jun 2009, 17:56

I don't think I have noticed any lag. I have an 800mhz computer with 128 ram, it is very old indeed.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby tchiseen » 02 Jun 2009, 07:23

Alright, it would seem that I've solved my issue with lag.

I re-installed the client (lost my quest boo hoo), and upgraded my java platform ( http://java.com/en/ ) and it seems to have fixed the lag problem. I've played quite a few quests matches without experiencing any lag.

So I'd suggest, if you're getting lag,
1- update your java, and worst comes to worst,
2 - try re-installing some of the client files/whole game.

I'm running the 0528beta and it works well.
tchiseen

Postby Chris H. » 02 Jun 2009, 10:57

tchiseen wrote:Alright, it would seem that I've solved my issue with lag.

I re-installed the client (lost my quest boo hoo), and upgraded my java platform ( http://java.com/en/ ) and it seems to have fixed the lag problem. I've played quite a few quests matches without experiencing any lag.

So I'd suggest, if you're getting lag,
1- update your java, and worst comes to worst,
2 - try re-installing some of the client files/whole game.

I'm running the 0528beta and it works well.
I see that you wanted to start with a "clean slate" in the hopes that would take care of the problem. Glad to see that things are working out for the better. :)

You may have been able to copy over the old "questData" file in order to continue your quest. Or, you may have been able to export your quest deck from the old copy of forge and then imported this quest deck of yours into the re-install of forge. This may have helped you to continue your quest.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Return to Forge