It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:38

Text Size

Programming isn't free or easy

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Programming isn't free or easy

Postby mtgrares » 28 May 2009, 18:59

This is in response to people's wish lists. I understand people want more, so do I, but like the song says "wishing won't make it so". Programming is very, very hard. It is very similar to a car engine, any tiny thing will make it stop. Just because MTG Forge is a free program doesn't mean that it didn't cost anything to write. I understand that people have wish lists, they also have to understand why I don't (or can't currently do it) program them. (I'm not mad but maybe a little irritated.) I'm glad that people like MTG Forge and voice their opinion about it.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Programming isn't free or easy

Postby DennisBergkamp » 28 May 2009, 19:21

Agreed, programming is definitely not easy, and stuff like "adding a manapool" into forge is a very tricky thing indeed, and unfortunately much more difficult than it seems.

Having said that, I do appreciate the stuff you guys post in the card request thread and other innovations/fixes you would like to see implemented. It provides me with some direction and often inspiration. But, as Rares stated, please understand that some of the requests are just not feasible in the near future :(
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Arcanis222 » 28 May 2009, 19:21

Mtg, I think that.. Some people take things for granted some times. Really everyone is really appreciative of the sacrifises, and work you guys pour into this.
I'd Probably attempt to help with coding if me and java didn't constantly have disputes. (My Computer skills are pretty much restricted to flash..)
Anyway, I think you have a right to express yourself, and that everything can't be done when it's something sophisticated and as complicated as it is.
Arcanis222

Postby mtgrares » 28 May 2009, 19:22

Writing a program like MTG Forge is like writing a novel. Anyone one can do it, but most people don't because it is too hard.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby mtgrares » 28 May 2009, 19:25

I'd probably attempt to help with coding if me and java didn't constantly have disputes.
MTG Forge isn't very modular (broken into parts) so I don't think anyone else could really help, even if they knew Java backwards and forwards (aka. very well).
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Arcanis222 » 28 May 2009, 19:32

Hmm well. Im fine with just spreading by word of mouth, and testing, and making a few decks here and there for the forum.
I'd be happy to do any miscellanous things to help out.
Arcanis222

Postby MageKing17 » 28 May 2009, 20:25

mtgrares wrote:I understand people want more, so do I, but like the song says "wishing won't make it so". Programming is very, very hard.
Well, some things are harder than others. The problem is that non-coder users generally don't know the difference between "would take seconds to change" and "would require rewriting the engine from scratch". :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby GandoTheBard » 28 May 2009, 23:52

MageKing17 wrote:
mtgrares wrote:I understand people want more, so do I, but like the song says "wishing won't make it so". Programming is very, very hard.
Well, some things are harder than others. The problem is that non-coder users generally don't know the difference between "would take seconds to change" and "would require rewriting the engine from scratch". :P
Even coders may not know the different those two conditions are in a specific program is without knowing the code or language.

That said IMHO card/mechanic requests are a good thing. They are NOT demands and they do inform the developing coders what they are doing right. I think also it should be said that the fact that people do code for free when they could be maybe making a product that they can sell is something that I for one appreciate. I have written countless FAQs, and strategy guides for various games both online and off so I have an idea of how selfless such an act is.

On the other hand I don't think anyone has been demanding or rude about these requests.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby zerker2000 » 29 May 2009, 00:09

DennisBergkamp wrote:Agreed, programming is definitely not easy, and stuff like "adding a manapool" into forge is a very tricky thing indeed, and unfortunately much more difficult than it seems.
Can someone coding please comment on my "Mana Pool" post, I understand there are probably problems with my suggestions, so will someone please tell me where they are?
O forest, hold thy wand'ring son
Though fears assail the door.
O foliage, cloak thy ravaged one
In vestments cut for war.

--Eladamri, the Seed of Freyalise
zerker2000
Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 29 May 2009, 01:47

mtgrares wrote:MTG Forge isn't very modular (broken into parts) so I don't think anyone else could really help, even if they knew Java backwards and forwards (aka. very well).
Rares, you keep selling yourself short and insulting your project.

I never had an interest in playing with Java seriously until jumping into the project. There are a lot of concepts that were completely new to me.

The project code is actually somewhat straight-forward. As an experienced coder in VB, with familiarity in C/C++, I can at least follow along and fill in the blanks from online reference guides.

We had someone jump in and inside of only a week turned around code to add spDamageCP, instantly giving us many burn spells. That's no small feat, if "nobody else could really help". And he did it the "right way" with the ability code stored in CardFactoryUtil.

Open source software isn't about working for free. It's about working for yourself. We use the software we write. If we think it's useful, it's very likely someone else will too. Left to our own devices, we might write our own Magic games... but why re-invent the wheel?

MTGForge might not be a perfectly smooth wheel, but hey, we're still in the stone age chipping away with chisels.... Hopefully you will be giving us the tools to enter the bronze age, and we'll work on that until we can build a "forge" for the steel age and beyond!
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 29 May 2009, 02:15

Well said, Rob :) I agree 100%, I don't consider myself a java expert at all, yet I have found most of the code in Forge to be fairly easy to understand.
There are many intricacies, of course, but that is to be expected of a project of such a scale.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby MageKing17 » 29 May 2009, 14:21

I didn't know Python at all until I started working on Incantus. Well, to be more accurate, I didn't know Python at all until I started working on cards for Incantus. I was already a coder, of course, but I basically learned the rudiments of Python in about ten minutes with the CardEditor. :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 29 May 2009, 17:14

Thanks for the compliments Dennis and Rob. MTG Forge doesn't have any internal documentation so I'm glad that you guys can understand most of the stuff that I did. I just know the some parts of the code like InputControl and CardFactory are very messy. I am a perfectionist, maybe all programmers aren't, but since programming involves a million details being a perfectionist helps.

I like this quote Rob,
MTGForge might not be a perfectly smooth wheel, but hey, we're still in the stone age chipping away with chisels.... Hopefully you will be giving us the tools to enter the bronze age, and we'll work on that until we can build a "forge" for the steel age and beyond!
You should be a writer, lol. I would put all of that in the program title bar (the blue thingy at the top) but it is too long, :D

I did work some on version 2 last night. I have abstract classes named Cost, Target, and Effect and I'm trying to piece them together. SpellAbility will combine these three objects and call them accordingly.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby zerker2000 » 29 May 2009, 21:54

mtgrares wrote:I like this quote Rob,
You should be a writer
Yes, very nice metaphors, and I also strongly support Rob's explanation of free software.

EDIT: i.e. "free as in speech and not free as in beer": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

Another EDIT: about putting it in the title bar, you could put this( and the sentence before it) into Forge 2 's About Section.
O forest, hold thy wand'ring son
Though fears assail the door.
O foliage, cloak thy ravaged one
In vestments cut for war.

--Eladamri, the Seed of Freyalise
zerker2000
Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 30 May 2009, 12:42

Not that there's anything wrong with free beer.....

I am a technical writer.. doing documentation for my companys' software.

I think a big part of our willingness to help maintain development on this project is that we're mature. While most Magic gamers are kids, and kid programmers don't usually have the drive to keep working on a problem until it's finished. There are a lot of various projects that go nowhere on Sourceforge, many of them were probably started by overly ambitious high school and early college kids. I'm 31, and have been programming since I was 17. I won't stop working on something (software and my theater set construction) until I feel it's done, really done. Like stick a fork in it, and it's DONE!
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Next

Return to Forge