It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:38

Text Size

User-Made cards

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: User-Made cards

Postby GandoTheBard » 03 Jun 2009, 18:31

Huggybaby wrote:I agree too, and I think most of the guys here get it.
Because it seems to me posting it on a magic forums suggests you were indicating it as an example of a creative magic card.
Your point is well taken, however, this is a computer card game forum, not a magic forum, and MTG Forge does not have to be played only with magic cards. If you want to get really literal, this topic is entitled "User-Made cards", not "User-Made Magic: the Gathering Cards".
throwing stuff up against the wall to see what sticks is a very casual way of creating anything.
Indeed, it's called brainstorming and it's a very effective technique, as long as the ideas are allowed to flow without being stifled early in the process. The winnowing comes later. Instead of saying "your card sucks" say "I propose this".

Let's keep the comments on the positive, suggestive side.
That was my aim Huggy, hence the words I chose. :)
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Huggybaby » 03 Jun 2009, 20:47

8) :wink:
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby frwololo » 04 Jun 2009, 01:35

Thanks Gando, these are very good points.
Again, I shouldn't put words in the creator's mouth, and it is highly probable that it is his first set, and he still needs to practice.

I still think that it would be cool to get out of the "Magic the gathering" boundaries when it comes to "handmade" stuff (and Huggybaby said it way better than I did).
After all, this is probably what the guys at WOTC do all the time to renew their game (Momir Basic is completely unbalanced/not strategical but really fun, for example)

Well, as you said, people shouldn't care too much about what the others think as long as they have fun :D
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 04 Jun 2009, 20:01

frwololo wrote:I understand that some people are trying to make sets that could be part of the real MTG game, but you could imagine a set using the Magic mechanics, in a slightly different universe (I'm still looking forward to a Star Wars mod for Wagic :) ).
The only reason 8/8 for 3{W}{W}{W} is too powerful is because you are assuming this card has been created to be played with other MTG sets, which could not be the case. The guy could create a whole mod of Wagic (or MTGForge) including only very powerful cards. After all, they could all be 400/400, as long as the equivalent of rod of ruin does 100 damage for 3 mana ;)
Same goes for the cards subtypes, etc...
While that may apply to the balance of a 7/7 first striker for 2WWW, it doesn't apply to what I said about subtypes, because I was talking about the way subtypes work in the rules (each separate word is a separate subtype, so "First Class" doesn't work but "First-Class" could) and subtypes as they relate to the character (SOLDIER doesn't make sense as he wasn't a member of SOLDIER). I suppose if you're not caring about using them with other Magic cards, you don't need to make him Human, but I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to keep the race/class system since it's worked so nicely for Magic.

frwololo wrote:I have never tried to create a set myself, and I'm guessing part of the fun is making it well balanced, and looking like it could have been a real one made by WOTC. But limiting set creation to only that is like putting walls around your mind, adding limitations to yourself that the game engine does not.
I love the idea of constraints in artistic creativity (look for oulipo in wikipedia), but I think it shouldn't be considered as the only good way.

Not saying that there's a message conveyed in this card or anything, I am not the set creator, so don't get me wrong :D
Well, on the other hand, all design space possible without making your set incompatible with actual Magic sets is still mostly unexplored, so why leave it all behind when you can add onto what's already there? Who wouldn't want to be able to have Dakkon Blakeblade battle Sephiroth or Darth Vader? :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby frwololo » 05 Jun 2009, 01:33

MageKing17 wrote:Well, on the other hand, all design space possible without making your set incompatible with actual Magic sets is still mostly unexplored, so why leave it all behind when you can add onto what's already there? Who wouldn't want to be able to have Dakkon Blakeblade battle Sephiroth or Darth Vader? :P
Very true :)
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Previous

Return to Forge