It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:09

Text Size

Auras and Equipment

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Auras and Equipment

Postby mtgrares » 03 Jun 2009, 19:28

Dennis (the guy who is currently adding new cards) and Rob seem to know MTG Forge very well. This is my 2 cents about auras and equipment. It seems to me that you can basically implement them with "when this card comes into play" and "when this card leaves play". I played around with the Card class and the gui in order to make the attached card be next to the card it is attached to and add little arrows "<<" to the cards name. Since now we are showing the card picture, you could do the same thing by changing the card's text to show which card is it attached to, a hacky way of doing this could would be card.addKeyword("attached to " +card) which would show the card's name and unique number (which is important if there are multiple cards with the same name).

Also checkStateEffects() would have to see if all Aura's are attached to another card and if they aren't, put them into the graveyard. Obviously you wouldn't have to do this with equipment.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: Auras and Equipment

Postby DennisBergkamp » 03 Jun 2009, 19:47

Yes, this is exactly how I did equipment. It seems to be working very well so far: I've been testing this a lot and haven't found any bugs :)

I've added a bunch of stuff to Card.java, basically to keep track of which cards are equipping what, and what cards are currently being equipped. I've also added (much like the comesIntoPlay() and destroy() commands) an equip() command and an unEquip() command. For each individual equipment card, the bonus gets set in the equip() command and the "reset" happens in the unEquip() command. For a card like Bonesplitter crd.addSemiPermanentAttackBoost(2); in equip(), and crd.addSemiPermanentAttackBoost(-2); in unEquip().
Anyway, equipment just screams to have some keywords to replace the hard-coded equipment cards I've made (a lot of copied code). Maybe once this is tested some more in the next Beta, Rob could help me create some keywords :mrgreen:

Then I made some small additions to checkStateEffects() in GameAction:
Code: Select all
Card c;
    Iterator<Card> it = creature.iterator();
    while(it.hasNext())
    {
      c = (Card)it.next();

if (c.isEquipped())
      {
         for (int i=0;i < c.getEquippedBy().size(); i++)
         {
            Card equipment = c.getEquippedBy().get(i);
            if (!AllZone.GameAction.isCardInPlay(equipment))
            {
               equipment.unEquipCard(c);              
            }
         }
      }//if isEquipped()

if(c.getNetDefense() <= c.getDamage() && !c.getKeyword().contains("Indestructible")){
        destroy(c);
        AllZone.Combat.removeFromCombat(c); //this is untested with instants and abilities but required for First Strike combat phase
      }

}//while it.hasNext()

//Make sure all equipment stops equipping previously equipped creatures that have left play.
    ArrayList<Card> equip = PlayerZoneUtil.getCardType(AllZone.Computer_Play, "Equipment");
    equip.addAll(PlayerZoneUtil.getCardType(AllZone.Human_Play, "Equipment"));

Iterator<Card> iter = equip.iterator();
    while(iter.hasNext())
    {
       c = (Card)iter.next();
       if (c.isEquipping())
       {
          Card equippedCreature = c.getEquipping().get(0);
          if (!AllZone.GameAction.isCardInPlay(equippedCreature))
             c.unEquipCard(equippedCreature);
       }
    }//while iter.hasNext()
Which makes sure if equipped creature cards or equipping equipment cards leave play, an unEquip happens.

I still haven't made equipment and equipped creatures stack though, that's another thing. Not completely sure how to do this yet.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Re: Auras and Equipment

Postby mtgrares » 03 Jun 2009, 20:28

Sounds good, you know MTG Forge very thoroughly now.

I still haven't made equipment and equipped creatures stack though, that's another thing. Not completely sure how to do this yet.
I haven't looked at the stacking code. Anything gui related is always complicated.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Return to Forge