It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:58

Text Size

alpha-beta combat

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

alpha-beta combat

Postby mtgrares » 29 Jun 2009, 21:05

Currently I'm trying to apply alpha-beta to plain, creature combat. On my blog I've talked alot about alpha-beta, so now I'm actually trying to code it. Hopefully I should be able to update the current version of MTG Forge with the improved attacking and blocking code, if I can get the code to work at all, which is a big IF. Wikipedia has some good stuff about min-max and alpha-beta.

Basically you are trying to maximize your score and minimize your opponenets score, so that is why it is called min-max. Alpha-beta is an optimized version of min-max. The tricky part with min-max or alpha-beta is that you have to create a very good "scoring function" that looks at the game and says, "Oh this stinks, I'll give it a 10" and "This is good, so I'll give it a 100." The scoring function has to look at which creatures are in play and determine which player is winning or losing AND generate a number that represents how much you are winning or losing.

p.s.
Sometimes I think I write too much, lol.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: alpha-beta combat

Postby Mr.Chaos » 30 Jun 2009, 05:52

Shows you the power of the human mind, doesn't it?
We glance at the playing field, get an instant overview of the cards in play and have a decent idea who has the advantage. To get the AI to do the same makes your brain hurt. :lol:

And this in reply to your p.s.
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Re: alpha-beta combat

Postby mtgrares » 30 Jun 2009, 16:20

Funny comic. Dilbert and Zits also make me laugh. :D
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Return to Forge