It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 00:53

Text Size

version 2 - the continuing saga

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

version 2 - the continuing saga

Postby mtgrares » 08 Jul 2009, 20:30

I have a fair amount of version 2 code running but I haven't worked on it recently. I really wanted to use an algorithm like min-max or alpha-beta but truthfully I don't understand it well enough to use it. So I guess the AI for version 2 will be very similar to the current AI, although version 2 will be able to play Counterspell and instants during combat. I haven't coded any cards for version 2 yet and to allow it to have even more cards than version 1 and hopefully even implement a full set like Magic 2010. Version 2 I guess will generally clean up the mess that is version 1 which includes all phases and phase stops, CardFactory will be broken down into individual cards and possibly automated testing for cards and other thorny parts of MTG Forge.

I envisioned version 2 being too big and it is really hard to cut features. Hopefully version 2 will have an undo function, this will allow me to try use min-max in the future. Just by 2 cents, lol.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: version 2 - the continuing saga

Postby Mr.Chaos » 09 Jul 2009, 07:05

Sounds good to me.
It's just that, with the current bunch of coders adding stuff to version 1 so often, the bar for V2 gets raised almost every week.
I mean, when you started work on V2, V1 was far less evolved then it is at the moment, so to surpass V1 you propably have do more that you may have planned on when you started.
Here is to seeing you pull it off though. =D>
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby mtgrares » 10 Jul 2009, 17:56

What you say it very true. Version 1 is very awesome with the mana pool, protection, and quest and trying to improve on that is hard. The truth is that version 1 has had a ton of effort put into it by me, dennis, and rob and even if version 2 can support more cards than version 1, it will take a long time for it to be better. I still have plans that creating cards for version 2 will be easy enough that non-coders can do it, but we'll see. Truthfully I haven't worked on version 2 in awhile and version 1 still has many areas that can be improved, like combat which I'm sort of working on right now.

I knew I wanted to finish version 1 no matter how cobbled together and rough it might be so I'm trying to plan out version 2 but planning is hard, lol.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Mr.Chaos » 11 Jul 2009, 08:49

They say a plan is not a good plan if it cannot be changed.
I always make very good plans. (i.e. they get changed all the time. :lol: )
So keep making plans and keep changing them.
Eventually, something will stick and work for you.
As it is, V1 is getting better and better.
Probably beyond what you thought possible due to the input from "outsiders" like us testers and the coders like rob, dennis and zerker.
Maybe the way to go is to let them in on your plans/ideas for V2.

As they say, one idiot can ask more questions than three wise men can answer.
The solution: Get more wise men! :wink:
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby silly freak » 06 Sep 2009, 09:42

*whoosh - getting the dust off of this thread*
just browsed down the list of threads, and saw this again. the posts in your blog say you're making progress?

well, it just comes to mind you shouldn't oversee the latest developments in V1. while maybe keywords or such are likely not compatible with V2, my stuff is mostly "edge"-modules, not touching the core too much.

here are the things you should consider for V2:
  • package treeProperties:
    This is absolutely independent of forge, but handy nonetheless. It allows a tree-like structure of properties files, bundling the stuff belonging together and giving the user control over the locations of files. the example will show you what I mean
  • package forge.properties
    ForgeProps is an extension that does three things: read the properties file from a hard coded location - forge's working direcory - , encapsulate that singleton object, and add a convenience function for localized properties.
    With it, i have packed the NewConstants interface. The name is because there is a Constant interface in V1.
    i've put all the properties keys in that file, so you can keep the overview.
  • ErrorViewer:
    maybe you already use that for V2. It has a few additional functions to show an error dialog, and adds localization to it
i have included a file forge.properties that explains the properties file format used, and english and german localized files that include the texts for ErrorViewer.

I hope you can use it, and that you stand also on my shoulders ;)
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby mtgrares » 10 Sep 2009, 18:58

Thanks for the suggestions. The whole quote thing about standing on the shoulders of giants to see far is random but alot of stuff in my head is a little random (like most people's).

I hope to work some on version 2.0 this week but I hate to predict. All I want is 10 cards and a better AI. (I'll accept the same AI and cards that only use plaintext and not Java.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Return to Forge