It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:27

Text Size

The Ultimate Quest Mode Thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: The Ultimate Quest Mode Thread

Postby KrazyTheFox » 30 Apr 2014, 00:47

I'm testing out some new code that awards credits for overkill/life gain... nothing like my favorite deck to test it out... made even better since the Zendikar block with Master Biomancer . I was tempted to double the Eldrazi Spawn a few more times, but the game was starting to lag and I'd deck out the next turn.

eldrazi.jpg
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Fizanko » 30 Apr 2014, 07:09

That must really hurt, i like the Wolf pet all alone in his corner :D

Have you tried to play a constructed duel with the AI , in which you and the AI would use that same deck you have there ?
I wonder if Forge would support all the creatures without a problem or crash.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby KrazyTheFox » 02 May 2014, 04:46

Well, well, well. That was a fantastic match.
Game 1: Opponent antes Limited Edition Beta Taiga
Game 2: Opponent antes Limited Edition Beta Taiga
Win both games.
End of match, 10 win streak achieved, awarded a Sword of Fire and Ice

I'm going to go sell those and buy a bunch of booster boxes.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby timmermac » 02 May 2014, 17:20

I am currently 11-20 in my quest, and in the middle of an 8-game losing streak. I'm now limiting myself to 10 copies of most cards in the deck, with some exceptions.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 06 May 2014, 12:18

I've been playing a quest in which the only decks i'm allowing myself to use are the ones you buy preconstructed from the spell shop (as soon as i could afford one of course)

So far it's been fun as it allowed me to discover some unusual (to me) cards, some deck like the goblin-based Speed Scorch has been veryy powerful all the time i played with it, destroying many, many AI decks.
Looks like the 40 cards deck like those are allowing to deal serious hurt very quickly and with a smaller library are then much less reliant on luck in regard to the order the cards comes from library to hand.

But in the same time can be a bit boring after some time as 40 cards like diversity in the middle of a battle.

Some of the 60 cards decks are then a bit more luck based, like that Sliver Shivers that give you quickly hands that can destroy your opponent or put you with a horrible hand for too many bunch of turns letting you no chance in the long term, but when you're getting the correct cards coming at the correct time, they can deal a lot of pain.

But that way you can play with tons of cards you're not playing with usually when building your own decks, addin some refreshing fun, and a lot of defeat from not knowing those cards too :D
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby SecretCaveman » 07 May 2014, 11:13

So I just achieved my goal of winning on turn 1 (actual turn one, not my first turn). :)
Now with that achieved, a 164-19 record and a best winstreak of 40 (about half of it against very hard decks), I guess its time to start a new quest.

For those interested, here's the deck I've been using:

Storm.jpg

It wins pretty consistently on turn 2, and can win on turn 1 without bigger problems.
There's still some room for improvement for sure, like adding a culling the weak insted of the sol ring, replacing infernal tutor by another demonic one, replacing windfall by something better etc.

Before this, I played an artifact deck that could win through simple beatdown on turn 2-3, but also had the Time Vault / Voltaic Key combo and some ways to tutor them up. It's a lot of fun to play, but the fact that it can't win on turn one is bugging me :D

Artifacts.jpg

I have to admit I got pretty lucky this quest though, having Ancestral Recall in my starting pool.

Now I'm going to start a new quest, and while building degenerate 40 card combo decks is fun, I want to try something else, more challenging. Also, scanning the spell shop for good cards after every match gets a bit stale after a while, so I'm not going to do that.

Here's the rules I set myself for my next quest:
-Unlimited card pool
-No fantasy mode (pets are so broken :D)
-I may not buy single cards in the spell shop (boosters, fatpacks etc. are allowed)
-I may not sell the last copy of a card (so no selling those LEA Thoughtlace for 10000 credits and the like, unless I've got two).
-No more than 1 copy of a card allowed in my decks (except for basic lands, of course)
-Minimum deck size is going to be 100. As this won't be possible from the beginning without having a real crappy deck, I'm going to start with a minimum deck size of 40 and increase it by 2 after every win until I reach 100.

Let's see how that goes :)
SecretCaveman

Postby Fizanko » 07 May 2014, 21:26

Still on my "use only prebuilt decks from spellshop" quest and doing good.

So far after +/- 90 matches, i have those decks

Half of them being due to Speed Scorch, small but powerful goblin deck

On my only attempt so far with Rakdos Raid i got one of my worst "bad luck" game.
1st round, 6 turns and only 1 land card !
2nd round, 7 turns and only 2 land cards !

Couldn't believe it, i even checked the deck in the deck editor to see if the devs didn't forgot to add the lands, but no there was indeed 25 of them, really bad luck.

To add insult to injury the AI opponent fielded 2 mox on turn 1 in the 1st round :D
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 08 May 2014, 09:59

Why i do not believe for a second that having a pet is "unbalanced"

yeah, 3 mox on 3 turns ... :D
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 08 May 2014, 10:10

AI crushing your hope

It That Betrays

That really hurt :D
Fizanko
Tester

Postby timmermac » 09 May 2014, 12:59

Since I am a major baseball freak, I tend to divide my quests into MLB-sized chunks. So, at the roughly 1/4 mark of my first "season", I am 16-26. I've cut down to 4 copies of most non-land cards. The only exceptions to this will probably be my favorite combo. Doubling Season and Beastmaster Ascension FTW!
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 12 May 2014, 06:52

After lots of bugs repeating in that challenge that lead me to replay it again several, i finally beat the Rakdos one on the Ravnica , happy me :)

The 3 major problems the challenge feature :
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots is deployed on the AI battelfield from the start
- the AI has several strong hitters (and some double strike regular ones) that he can deploy quickly (especially thanks to Rakdos high damage that lower the cost of those powerful creatures)
- the AI has 40 lives

So to try to beat that one, i decided to go with a white-themed deck in which i would put a lot of Arrest and Pacifism cards in order to neutralize the strong creatures coming fast (and lots of those in order to not have to be very lucky for one of those cards to come in my hand)

Fortunately, due to having won more than a hundred of duels so far i had a lot of the cards i needed already in my stockpile

antirakdosdeck | Open
2 Arrest|RTR
3 Arrest|SOM
1 Celestial Archon|THS
1 Celestial Mantle|ZEN
8 Daring Skyjek|GTC
1 Elite Vanguard|M12
1 Grand Abolisher|M12
1 Heliod, God of the Sun|THS
1 Hero of Bladehold|MBS
2 Holy Mantle|GTC
1 Kabira Vindicator|ROE
1 Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon"|C13
1 Oreskos Sun Guide|BNG
4 Pacifism|M12
2 Pacifism|M14
8 Plains|M13|4
4 Plains|SOM|1
8 Plains|SOM|2
4 Plains|SOM|3
1 Slith Ascendant|MRD
1 Soldier of the Pantheon|THS
1 Student of Warfare|ROE
3 Trained Caracal|RTR

Though still needed some luck, as in round 2 of the duel, not a single Arrest or Pacifism showed up, and i got properly annihilated then, good that round 3 at least got me quickly what i needed
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 12 May 2014, 15:13

I've been playing a lot on Ravnica and Zendikar recently.
And i appreciate the fact that you don't have very borken decks filled with 3 or 4 mox there.

You still have a challenge as luck is still a factor, but you don't have to make boring broken decks yourself to keep with the AI on hard and very hard and can enjoy trying to be creative without intentionally using broken decks.

Really great job on making those worlds more fun than the main one.
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 14 May 2014, 13:03

I really like that doing some winning streak can give you rewards, really happy to get that 25wins one

Fizanko
Tester

Postby lazylockie » 14 May 2014, 13:27

Fizanko wrote:I've been playing a lot on Ravnica and Zendikar recently.
And i appreciate the fact that you don't have very borken decks filled with 3 or 4 mox there.

You still have a challenge as luck is still a factor, but you don't have to make boring broken decks yourself to keep with the AI on hard and very hard and can enjoy trying to be creative without intentionally using broken decks.

Really great job on making those worlds more fun than the main one.
I like that as well. What I've been doing lately is to start at main world with whatever expansion I wanna play, then travel to Ravnica / Zendikar to stockpile good stuff (Sphinx's Revelation, Deathrite Shaman, fetchlands)

Traveling to Shandalar feels like cheating IMO. The decks are very weak and the rewards can be huge (there's Unlimited and 4ED, not to mention random Karakas and expensive-useless stuff)
lazylockie

Postby serrasmurf » 15 May 2014, 17:41

Hi,
I’m glad to hear you appreciate Ravnica and Zendikar, i put quite some work in it.

Ravnica is open for further development if anyone is interested. The AI decks have never been updated with Dragon Maze and there are currently not any AI decks with 3+ colours, which leaves plenty of interesting decks possibilities.
serrasmurf

PreviousNext

Return to Forge